My deep secret

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

My deep secret

Post by Josiah »

Prior to starting the Bredesen Protocol I took a complicated regimen of supplements, I take some for osteo arthritis, some for cardiovascular health and some for cognitive well being. Finally because I'm responsible for feeding myself, a task which when carried out by me can only be described as lackluster in the extreme, I take supplements to compensate for all those nutrients I should be getting from well prepared meals. My deep secret which I hide from the important people in my life is the astounding number of supplements I swallow every day. If they knew, their eyes would roll and I would be embarrassed to be seen as a fool. Then along came the Bredesen Protocol which recommended most of what I was taking and even some more. I take comfort in now belonging to a community of like minded people who share my deep secret.
E3/E3 male age 84
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My deep secret

Post by CarrieS »

Josiah wrote:I take comfort in now belonging to a community of like minded people who share my deep secret.
Thank you for having the courage to share your deep secret Josiah. The acceptance and support of this community is real!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

you made my day Josiah!!!

I am on the same boat, although I don't keep it a secret. My husband thinks I'm a hypochondriac, lol. And yes, it is a comfort to belong to this group that share the same goals.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I tend to justify my regimen by looking at the back of a typical multivitamin. Sure, it's 1 multivitamin pill, but you can imagine the number of capsules it would encompass if you were taking each component individually. By contrast, I can kind of look at my approach as being a targeted subset of a daily multi.
TWBD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TWBD »

I also felt justified by taking over 30 supplements daily after finding most of them in the ReCODE. I've had 5 surgeries in 15 months and get that 'look' every time I list them in my pre-op. But my labs validate my using them and I take very little prescription & pain meds. I'm now studying The Walhs Protocol to make a plan for reducing the supplements with real food.
APOE 3/4
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Torimintz »

I think many of us are in the same boat. I am a voracious reader now on all things concerning apoe 4/4, alzheimeir's, prevention nutrition, dangers of high carbs, sugars,and gluten .... and I do take the supplements, sleep 9 hours a night,get sun, and keep a great schedule of exercise, meditation time, etc..
Everyone says I look great... but if i DIDN'T do all this , I'd be a mess... achy, IBS, brain fog, high glucose level, blotchy skin...
I look and feel "great" only BECAUSE I do all this. HAH... others in their mid 40s are partying, working on their career, eating like crap, and not paying attention to their health or a schedule... but I don't have that luxury.
I am not sad about it because it is fun to know that I am operating at my best capacity... and If I become ill, it won't be because I was stupid. I am satisfied in knowing that I am thriving and doing all the smart things!
Verna
New User
New User

Post by Verna »

I ,too, take many supplements in additions to my prescriptions for my heart condition. My nurse practitioner subscribes the supplements. I have become lax in taking the supplements...sometimes, I just don't want to (like a little kid!) I just read Dr. Bredesen's book "The End of Alzheimer's" and am newly motivated to be more consistent. Thanks for being here for me, folks!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Verna wrote: I ,too, take many supplements in additions to my prescriptions for my heart condition. My nurse practitioner subscribes the supplements. I have become lax in taking the supplements...sometimes, I just don't want to (like a little kid!) I just read Dr. Bredesen's book "The End of Alzheimer's" and am newly motivated to be more consistent. Thanks for being here for me, folks!
Welcome Verna - glad to have you here with us!

I am certain you're not alone in terms of becoming "lax" or perhaps just inconsistent at times in taking recommended supplements. I'll raise my hand here on that one. Because research on the benefits of specific supplements many of us take is typically limited, some of us rotate between them, take short breaks or even eliminate some from our routine. My opinion (as I'm a layperson speaking only for myself), is that we need to remember that we're all unique and so it's important to stay in touch with how you're feeling and to continue to browse thru research regarding the supplements you are using as you have time.

Since you recently joined us, I'd like to recommend browsing through our site Primer written by a member practicing physician. It's an excellent source of information regarding lifestyle choices we can all make to improve our long term health and includes a section discussing supplements that you may find helptul. Our Wiki offers more in-depth discussions on topics of particular interest to our members. You may also want to check out our How-To-Guide for some great tips on navigating our site more easily and effectively (such as clicking on the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page to search the forums for topics you'd like to dive into).

Verna, please don't hesitate to continue to share and ask questions of our community at any time. And again, welcome!
warmly, Lucy
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LBKnudson »

I want to mention that no one is in charge of your health and nutrition except you. So you should tailor-make what you do for your health according to your own specific needs and worries and condition. Bredesen and the others just point you in the right direction but you have to create a plan that works for you regardless of what anybody else thinks about it.