The great escape!

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

The great escape!

Post by Karina52 »

Since learning of my 4/4 status at age 65, (now 66), the worst aspect of this news was the idea that I could lose the essence of who I am and forget the faces of those I love.....the prospect of becoming an emotionally empty shell is absolutely terrifying to me. I have found the peace of mind to know that I do not have to end up there. We do have choices if or when we are confronted with this dreaded disease. I found a TED talk online about Alan, an Alzheimer patient who consciously made the choice to end his life as his Alzheimer's progressed. More info here https://www.phyllisshacter.com/ I feel a lot calmer today!
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The great escape!

Post by hairyfairy »

I would seriously think about euthenasia if I was diagnosed with alzheimers, I think it`s cruel the way doctors keep people with incurable diseases alive when there`s no hope of a cure.
gmpicket
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The great escape!

Post by gmpicket »

While I certainly don't want to live with Alzheimer's - one could consider the Buddhist philosophy that one is working off negative karma created in previous lifetimes. And thus, will have a better future life as a result.

(This of course requires one to believe in reincarnation and accept that maybe we did awful things in past lives, which is difficult.)