Smoothies? All in one shakes?

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Smoothies? All in one shakes?

Post by Richard McG »

Have a friend who has about two of these a day plus meals......are these for us guys you think? Seem nutritious and are all plant-based ingredients..........any expert comments? Could I introduce these to my 4/4 diet?

https://myvega.ca/products/vega-one-shake
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Smoothies? All in one shakes?

Post by Magda »

Richard McG wrote:Have a friend who has about two of these a day plus meals......are these for us guys you think? Seem nutritious and are all plant-based ingredients..........any expert comments? Could I introduce these to my 4/4 diet?

https://myvega.ca/products/vega-one-shake
Hi Richard McG,

Thank you sharing. I have seen this product in some health food stores but never looked at the ingredients list.
This is not an expert opinion, but I think the product looks pretty clean.
I have to point out that if you are following a ketogenic or low carbs diet, a scoop of this product provides 13g of carbohydrates…
I am also careful with ingratiates like: spirulina, chlorella or maca. They seem to create problems for some people. I also did not notice on the site in what forms are all the vitamins.
I noticed folate, which is almost better then folic acid.
If you decide to try it, just go slow, like with every new product or supplement you introduce to your body…

I hope this helps.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

In the past, I was annoyed by Vega's heavy metal content. I would hope they've cleaned up their act, but for now I avoid their lineup.

Xymogen, LivingFuel, and Thorne offer similar products that combine mineral + vitamins + phytonutrients with vegetable protein, but boy are they expensive. As a cheaper alternative, I'd go with MRM's version.

Every now and then I get on a smoothie kick. It's often a useful way for me to break a fast with a post-workout superfood sort of smoothie bowl before my main dinner. While eating within a narrow time window, I often find it to be an easy way to digest a lot of plant matter and its a nice protein alternative to meat. I imagine it has some effect on blood sugar / insulin, since everything is in rapid-absorption form, but in this context of sitting down for a meal with a 2mmol+ ketone level and glycogen depleted muscles, it's probably insignificant or maybe beneficial. I usually use whey protein for my base protein to get the cysteine for glutathione, and the lactoferrin / other peptides for immune health -- it also offers a bit more of an IGF1 bump than vegetable proteins, which can be useful for cardiovascular + cognitive health. When I'm looking to tame the effect, I combine marine collagen peptides with the whey, essentially watering down the BCAAs / methionine.

I often throw in raw beet, carrot, parsley, ginger, watercress, moringa, cranberries, wild blueberries, ceylon cinnamon, or whatever I have at my disposal. When you look at those pre-made drinks by comparison, the amounts are usually pretty ridiculous (like "500 milligrams of parsley, 1.5 grams of carrot...")
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

apod wrote:In the past, I was annoyed by Vega's heavy metal content. I would hope they've cleaned up their act, but for now I avoid their lineup.
Hi apod, thanks for this resource. I hadn't ever heard of the clean Label Project before. Went and looked up my former favorite meal replacement shake, Garden of Life Raw Meal, and it also only was a 1 star rating. Interesting.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

apod wrote:In the past, I was annoyed by Vega's heavy metal content. I would hope they've cleaned up their act, but for now I avoid their lineup.
Yikes, thanks for this resource. Didn't know to even check for metals. Thank you!!!
SunnySideUp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SunnySideUp »

Looked up Clean Label Project and got a little side-tracked with this page about almond butter:

https://www.cleanlabelproject.org/nut-b ... crylamide/

More info needed but It states "Acrylamide (a cancer-causing neurotoxin) is formed when starchy foods (chips, french fries, bread, roasted nuts and coffee) are heated to high temperatures and begin to turn brown. Water, sugars and proteins in foods combine to create colors, aromas and flavor. This browning and roasting produces acrylamide."
Peanut butter fared better than almond butter. One of the brands of almond butter tested had 8x the California Prop 65 acrylamide limit (sadly they didn't mention the brands they tested or serving size).

Roasted nuts and almond butter are/were some of the most satisfying elements of this diet. I hope someone can debunk this :)
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

SunnySideUp wrote:Looked up Clean Label Project and got a little side-tracked with this page about almond butter:

https://www.cleanlabelproject.org/nut-b ... crylamide/

More info needed but It states "Acrylamide (a cancer-causing neurotoxin) is formed when starchy foods (chips, french fries, bread, roasted nuts and coffee) are heated to high temperatures and begin to turn brown. Water, sugars and proteins in foods combine to create colors, aromas and flavor. This browning and roasting produces acrylamide."
Peanut butter fared better than almond butter. One of the brands of almond butter tested had 8x the California Prop 65 acrylamide limit (sadly they didn't mention the brands they tested or serving size).

Roasted nuts and almond butter are/were some of the most satisfying elements of this diet. I hope someone can debunk this :)
Raw soaked / sprouted low-temp nut butter FTW? (Blue Mountain Organics has some good ones -- they call their process "Better Than Roasted.")

I'd maybe interpret the results more as "foods that aren't brown from being exposed to high temperatures are likely to be healthier than those which have been roasted." Although, coffee comes to mind as being rich enough in acrylamide to warrant a prop-65 warning, but generally looks healthy in vivo. I suppose the full spectrum of components in the food balances out to a net positive.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

As a cheaper alternative, I'd go with MRM's version.

I often throw in raw beet, carrot, parsley, ginger, watercress, moringa, cranberries, wild blueberries, ceylon cinnamon, or whatever I have at my disposal. When you look at those pre-made drinks by comparison, the amounts are usually pretty ridiculous (like "500 milligrams of parsley, 1.5 grams of carrot...")
Thanks, I just purchased a few bottles. Appreciate the help!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I noticed the other day that our Costco is carrying The Garden of Life product Keto Fit, which has better macros for someone trying to keep low carb...
IMG-3129.JPG
IMG-3128.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Ohhhh.....off to Costco this weekend!
Thanks, Mike!

This one also seems quite good.......Dr. Gundry and all :)
Anything else like this that isn't chocolate flavour from another source? Unfortunately, that is the only flavour they have....no berry or vanilla or plain.

https://gundrymd.com/proplant/?gclid=Cj ... X8QAvD_BwE