general anasthesia.

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

general anasthesia.

Post by hairyfairy »

I`m facing the prospect of having to have an operation under general anaesthetic, & I`m very concerned about the risks because of my age and apoe4 status. The doctors don`t want to use a local because the outcome might not be as good if I`m awake during the procedure. Has anyone here had a general anaesthetic and had no cognitive problems afterwards?
tinamalone
Contributor
Contributor

Re: general anasthesia.

Post by tinamalone »

I have, several times before I knew I was APOE4. A hysterectomy. two carpal tunnel surgeries and one shoulder replacement I am having the other shoulder replaced on April 11th. I am not concerned. I tolerated the anesthesia well before I knew about my status.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

hairyfairy wrote:I`m facing the prospect of having to have an operation under general anaesthetic, & I`m very concerned about the risks because of my age and apoe4 status. The doctors don`t want to use a local because the outcome might not be as good if I`m awake during the procedure. Has anyone here had a general anaesthetic and had no cognitive problems afterwards?
I did a quick search and found a fairly large existing thread General Anesthesia & APOe4 that you may find helpful information in.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LA18 »

I’m not sure if this (commentary by Rudy Tanzi) has been posted elsewhere, but it may be of relevance to the decision-making process when general anesthesia is required.

https://www.alzforum.org/news/research- ... sthesia-ad
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

hairyfairy wrote:I`m facing the prospect of having to have an operation under general anaesthetic, & I`m very concerned about the risks because of my age and apoe4 status. The doctors don`t want to use a local because the outcome might not be as good if I`m awake during the procedure. Has anyone here had a general anaesthetic and had no cognitive problems afterwards?
Two suggestions... you don’t mention what surgery you are having but if there is any question of having your surgery without anesthesia you might seek out a second opinion. Also, I have heard Dr. Hathaway and Dr. Bredesen talk about using IV therapy prior to and immediately after surgery to counter any negative affects from anesthesia. IV therapy might include something called a Myers Cocktail or Vitamin C. I further recall Dr. Hathaway discussing the use of these therapies to help a patient with post operative cognitive issues. Good Luck!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD