Best baby formula and why for babies that can't breast feed?

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Best baby formula and why for babies that can't breast feed?

Post by circular »

This is quite a departure for the forum focus, except that one needed component of a good baby formula is adequate DHA. Hopefully okay for the Social Hour board.

I'm asking for a friend. Baby can't breast feed and reacts to cow milk. Pediatrician said she would (presumably automatically) react to other dairy like goat milk (and I read that goat milk isn't really a good substitute for human breast milk anyway). So the pediatrician put her on a formula that has high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient :shock: It doesn't get much better from there, except some vitamins and minerals are thrown in. Based on skimming the label, it's basically franken food. What a dilemma!

Has anyone faced this issue? I'm not sure I trust random online DIY recipes and testimonials for formula to really provide something I could feel confident enough to suggest trying. I would think human breast milk is quite specific and not easily replicated.

Any guidance or experience here would be greatly appreciated.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Best baby formula and why for babies that can't breast feed?

Post by TheresaB »

Out of my league, but one thought, has your friend tried A-2 cow's milk? Other thoughts - goat milk (although you read that isn't a good substitute), sheep and water buffalo milk also contain the healthier casein A-2 protein. Camel milk is lower in lactose and also contains the A2 protein, plus I've heard (no first hand experience) that it is very good for us, although expensive.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheresaB wrote:Out of my league, but one thought, has your friend tried A-2 cow's milk? Other thoughts - goat milk (although you read that isn't a good substitute), sheep and water buffalo milk also contain the healthier casein A-2 protein. Camel milk is lower in lactose and also contains the A2 protein, plus I've heard (no first hand experience) that it is very good for us, although expensive.
Thanks Theresa, I agree the A2 cow milk would be worth a shot, and then goat which is always A2. The others are probably too expensive in this case. Interestingly, I found that the Weston Price folks offer formula recipes. I think I've decided to stay out of this decision altogether. It's too important and I don't and won't know enough in this area. If they ask I'll tell them to find a functional medicine pediatrician ... wonder if there is such a thing!?
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I wonder if there is something like a "breast milk bank" in your friend's area. A friend on mine's niece is quite the "producer" so freezes her extra. Maybe others do too but donate it. Maybe contact the local La Leche League or a local hospital?
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

CarrieS wrote:I wonder if there is something like a "breast milk bank" in your friend's area. A friend on mine's niece is quite the "producer" so freezes her extra. Maybe others do too but donate it. Maybe contact the local La Leche League or a local hospital?
Thank you, those are great ideas. I forgot about donated milk. I heard a radio program recently discussing the risks, but I gather there are ways to go about getting breast milk without the worries. I'll check that!
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

My wife was never able to produce enough milk so she had to supplement for both of our kids. I didn't want my son consuming soy so I ended up buying German formula. I'm glad those days are behind us as that was quite the hassle.

My nephew had a problem with milk and he ended up drinking ripple milk. Now I'd never give my kids that stuff as it is basically pea milk, but he seemed to like it and tolerated it reasonably well.

Not great options, but it's what I've got.
bexnews
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bexnews »

Breast is best but if you have to buy a product look at the European milks like Holle, Lebenswert or goat like kabrita
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks, I wouldn’t have thought of European brands. Can they be found in US stores or just online?
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

circular wrote:Thanks, I wouldn’t have thought of European brands. Can they be found in US stores or just online?
It is difficult to find a legit distributor as the product isn't approved for import into the US. The first website I found was a total racket. You had to pay a monthly fee and then that allowed you to make purchases when they opened up orders for their latest shipment. I think I did that once but aggressively searched for better options. I eventually settled on Organic Munchkin which was much more reasonable in price and didn't have inventory shortages back when I was buying formula for my son. I just did a quick search and it looks like they got too big and no longer offer the German formula here in the US.

Here is the product if you want to try to find another site that imports their products: https://organicstart.com/lebenswert/stage-1/product
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SoCalGuy wrote:
circular wrote:Thanks, I wouldn’t have thought of European brands. Can they be found in US stores or just online?
It is difficult to find a legit distributor as the product isn't approved for import into the US. The first website I found was a total racket. You had to pay a monthly fee and then that allowed you to make purchases when they opened up orders for their latest shipment. I think I did that once but aggressively searched for better options. I eventually settled on Organic Munchkin which was much more reasonable in price and didn't have inventory shortages back when I was buying formula for my son. I just did a quick search and it looks like they got too big and no longer offer the German formula here in the US.

Here is the product if you want to try to find another site that imports their products: https://organicstart.com/lebenswert/stage-1/product
Oh thank you. In this case the baby can't have milk. There's precious little in the way of options, but after six months or so she'll be getting with solids, so they can get the junk out of her system. At least she thriving in a way she wasn't on breast milk.