Possible root canal needed... Advice, please!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Possible root canal needed... Advice, please!

Post by Julie G »

Oh Honey, so sorry! That must have hurt you BOTH :? The natural remedies (oil pulling & garlic) completely healed whatever had stirred up for me. I never needed a root canal. You may want to consider them preventatively.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Kt, it sounds like the root is not fractured, and maybe only one of the root nerve exposed. You usually only have one root in your front teeth, but 3-4 on the big molars. Since I'm in my 60s, my roots are fragile, calcified and break even after a root canal. Did the dentist need to prescribe antibiotics? I hope you'll just need a restoration.

Currently I have a tooth with a borderline root the dentist is watching, so I did start the pulling with coconut oil. Then I feared that I might be swallowing some of the oil, since I had high cholesterol , so I stopped. This is a good reminder to restart the prevention.
ktg000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ktg000 »

Thank you! I'll definitely try the oil! Fingers crossed
K
ε4ε4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Keep us posted Juliegee. I have a tooth that maybe three times has given me episodes of sharp pain. Each time I go in and have it checked and it checks out fine. Each time the episode subsides. I can't explain it. Sometimes I think stuffy sinuses can cause tooth sensitivity, but I'm not sure if that effect tends to be more regional than a specific tooth; may occur when a "vulnerable" tooth is affected by pressure from swollen sinuses. This isn't clinical dentistry speak here but maybe something to be aware of from a lay perspective.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Me too, with the occasional twinges- Circ. Whenever that happens, I start oil pulling twice a day and (so far) everything returns to normal. I searched Pubmed. There have been papers written about the benefits of oil pulling. Coconut oil, in particular, has antimicrobial properties. Our teeth are actually porous. The coconut oil gets into any inflamed, tender, or traumatized areas and provides noticeable relief.

Of course, I still get my teeth checked out by my dentist once a year. I've also increased my professional cleanings to three times a year. We have growing evidence that meticulous dental care equates to better heart and brain health. The oil pulling is just an add-on ;) FWIW, I think it's actually much healthier than antiseptic mouthwash that can kill good bacteria along with the bad.
Jean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jean »

Ug, I had a back molar under my sinus pulled recently because a root canal tooth fractured. I'm a month away from getting an implant, and didn't even think about researching dangers until now. My bad. I did just learn that non metal materials are available from the article below.

http://www.healthfreedoms.org/be-very-c ... ing-teeth/
New Alternatives to Titanium Implants. In recent years, high-strength ceramic implants have become attractive alternatives to titanium implants, and some current research has focused on the viability of materials such as zirconia (the dioxide of zirconium, a metal close to titanium on the periodic table). Metal-free zirconia implants have been used in Europe and South America for years, but they have only recently become available in the U.S. Zirconia implants are highly biocompatible to the human body and exhibit minimum ion release compared to metallic implants. Studies have shown that the osseointegration of zirconia and titanium implants are very similar, and that zirconia implants have a comparable survival rate, thereby making them an excellent alternative to metal implants. Moreover, zirconia ceramics have been successfully used in orthopedic surgery to manufacture ball heads for total hip replacements.

Therefore, given that titanium dental implants can induce metal sensitivity, inflammation, autoimmunity, and malignant tumors, while zirconia implants are metal-free but just as durable, why invite chronic metal exposure? Your body would surely benefit from choosing the biocompatible, ceramic dental implant over the standard, titanium metal implant.

I'm thinking seriously about not replacing the tooth (not visible,) although I've heard that can cause problems with surrounding tooth movement and bio mechanics. I would be grateful for any advice or additional information. Thanks
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Jean, I have the same history of fractured root post-root canal x 4, with all these titanium implants (pre-availability of the alternative). A bridge tends to stress the supporting teeth, leading to losing more teeth (which I had), but tends to work for a decade, if the surrounding teeth are strong.

Somehow I was under the impression that titanium was not leaching mercury. I never have inflammation or pain with these implants, so I would fully discuss with your oral surgeon and consider a second opinion.
Jean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jean »

Thanks for sharing Katies. From what I read this morning, titanium has nothing to do with mercury, but is another metal causing problems just because it is metal that may or will be, or is toxic. Betting those other materials aren't readily available.
Jnanney44
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jnanney44 »

Hi, Julie!

I am literally in the exact same boat as you. Apoe 4/4 and in need of a root canal because of a bad filling. What did you end up doing? I really lost :-(
APOe4/4
MTHFR C677T Homozygous
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Welcome J, as one who has had many dental treatments, first have dentist that leans towards nontoxic products, but IMHO dental infections can migrate to the sinuses creating even further problems.