Helping others in the face of Covid-19

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Helping others in the face of Covid-19

Post by SusanJ »

If you're like me, you might be watching this pandemic unfold with a mixture of horror tempered with curiosity for the science. And sometimes it can feel a bit overwhelming, especially for those of us who are (check off all that apply)

1) caring for someone in the high risk category (we have one senior family member in the hospital for pneumonia, no not the virus, but a side effect of cancer therapy and one with dementia),
2) themselves in the high risk group due to age or chronic disease, or
3) some of the "lucky" ones falling in both of the above categories.

Instead of feeling helpless at times (try to find ANY masks at the moment, impossible :shock:), I've chosen to be proactive and help others, but in a way that keeps me from being in public to reduce the chances of exposing our family members. So here's what the hubs and I are doing.

We've decided to give money to organizations that are tackling food insecurity. Money will be incredibly important for nonprofits supporting those without the resources to get through this pandemic. There are many groups to donate to directly both locally and nationally, or consider teaming up with other companies that are doing match donations. I just got one from nuts.com and contributed to Feeding America gaining a $1 for $1 match.

And, at least check in on your family, neighbors and friends to make sure they have what they need. Elders are definitely feeling the strain of empty shelves and having to drive from store to store to find supplies.

ApoE4 is a caring community, so please post what you're doing to help others! It will give us all ideas of what else we can do to help others during a difficult time.

And wishing an abundance of good health for you all!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Helping others in the face of Covid-19

Post by TheresaB »

SusanJ wrote:We've decided to give money to organizations that are tackling food insecurity. Money will be incredibly important for nonprofits supporting those without the resources to get through this pandemic. There are many groups to donate to directly both locally and nationally, or consider teaming up with other companies that are doing match donations. I just got one from nuts.com and contributed to Feeding America gaining a $1 for $1 match.

And, at least check in on your family, neighbors and friends to make sure they have what they need. Elders are definitely feeling the strain of empty shelves and having to drive from store to store to find supplies.
Great thoughts! Thank you Susan
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

SusanJ wrote:ApoE4 is a caring community, so please post what you're doing to help others! It will give us all ideas of what else we can do to help others during a difficult time.
Hi SusanJ,
Thank you for your encouragement! Many people are suffering today either from the flu, Covid-19 or from fear of what may or may not be. You are an example of how even when we're dealing with our own trials and travesties, reaching out to help others less fortunate can bring a bit of peace and hope to ourselves as well as others. You are a kind and brave soul, Susan!

My husband and I, like you, have chosen to focus on helping kids. Our school district has closed schools starting tomorrow, so we have opted to help the kids and families who won't be getting their meals at school. In addition, our elderly parents and relatives are obviously of concern and we're doing what we can to make sure they have what they need in the way of food, meds and fresh air activity. Reminding or helping people to engage in physical and creative activities, rather than sitting and watching TV, seems easily overlooked when we're told to stay home and "socially isolate" yourself. Many of the people I know are actually looking forward to more unstructured time with their loved ones--kind of a silver lining I'd say. :)
Warm regards,
MicheleCC
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

MicheleCC wrote:My husband and I, like you, have chosen to focus on helping kids.
Awesome!

Here's some other ideas from the Seattle area.

And I also saw something on Facebook that said that some professional musicians are offering online lessons because their gigs are canceled. Might be a good opportunity to learn to play that instrument you always wanted to try, or jam with a favorite band member! You learn, and they make a little money to stay afloat. I'm considering dusting off my electric bass...
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RAJ64 »

MicheleCC wrote:Many of the people I know are actually looking forward to more unstructured time with their loved ones--kind of a silver lining I'd say. :)
Thank you for sharing some of ideas of how to help others during this uncertain time. I am donating time to my grandchildren whose preschool is closed for at least the next two weeks. Since I love learning and I love them, I will be donating time to keeping them productively occupied several hours per day. I also have an elderly parent who needs company daily. My husband and I have volunteered to be on a Rapid Response Team for our church to do our part to "flatten the curve" of COVID-19. Much of that communication is done via email.

Relaxation breathing is very helpful to me to keep me grounded. Being outside is a nice distraction, too. Spring is springing and it is beautiful to behold. Maybe I can show my grandchildren some of the signs of spring while they are with me. If there is time to catch up on reading, I look forward to that as well. :D

Warmly,
Rachel
RAJ64, BSN, RN
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

RAJ64 wrote:I am donating time to my grandchildren whose preschool is closed for at least the next two weeks. Since I love learning and I love them, I will be donating time to keeping them productively occupied several hours per day. I also have an elderly parent who needs company daily. My husband and I have volunteered to be on a Rapid Response Team for our church to do our part to "flatten the curve" of COVID-19. Much of that communication is done via email.
So wonderful for you to help out family - this is so hard on working parents whose schools have closed! And to help get out the word to folks is so useful given the rapid rate of information coming at us all.

The health department just announced the first case in my county. No surprise really, but now there will be an even bigger run on stores. :( Flatten the curve is the name of the game right now!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

So here are two more great ideas.

A business in my former town is accepting donated computers, that they will wipe clean, fix up and donate to folks who might not have a working computer at home, and they offered to fix broken computers for only $25!

I saw a story on Washington Post that 2 aspiring cello players, 9 and 6, got dressed up and went to their elderly neighbor's porch and put on a concert for her. Which of course, mimics all the Italians singing and playing from their balconies.