COVID-19 Recommendations from U of AZ

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

COVID-19 Recommendations from U of AZ

Post by slacker »

Faculty at the Andrew Weil Center of Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona in Tucson have COVID-19 considerations. Many will sound familiar to us (sleep, stress management, nutrition). There are suggestions on supplements that may help with prevention. However, some of these supplements have the potential to make things worse if one is infected. References are included.

I have permission to share as appropriate.
Integrative Considerations during the COVID 3.18.20.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker
E4/E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: COVID-19 Recommendations from U of AZ

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks, Slacker. Very timely.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Dr Rhonda Patrick has recommended subscribing to this US YouTube channel for updates:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MEDCRAMvideos/videos

Another YouTube channel winning praise is that of Dr John Campbell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJqSdmNNwW4

His Vitamin D video is interesting
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RAJ64 »

slacker wrote:There are suggestions on supplements that may help with prevention. However, some of these supplements have the potential to make things worse if one is infected.
Thank you, slacker, for the document you shared. Very interesting and helpful! I have a question about vitamin C. Do you know if calcium ascorbate provides the same benefit as ascorbic acid? We've supplemented with calcium ascorbate for years due to GI issues caused by ascorbic acid. I will do a little research of my own, but wondered if you knew off the top of your head. :D
RAJ64, BSN, RN
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

RAJ64 wrote:
slacker wrote:There are suggestions on supplements that may help with prevention. However, some of these supplements have the potential to make things worse if one is infected.
Thank you, slacker, for the document you shared. Very interesting and helpful! I have a question about vitamin C. Do you know if calcium ascorbate provides the same benefit as ascorbic acid? We've supplemented with calcium ascorbate for years due to GI issues caused by ascorbic acid. I will do a little research of my own, but wondered if you knew off the top of your head. :D
Hi Raj64:

You can instead take EsterC it's gentler on the GI tract.

Roxanne
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RAJ64 »

As an addendum, I found this information on the Linus Pauling Institute website:

Vitamin C - Supplemental Forms

"When mineral salts of ascorbic acid are taken, both the ascorbic acid and the mineral appear to be well absorbed..."
RAJ64, BSN, RN
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RAJ64 »

roxanne wrote:You can instead take EsterC it's gentler on the GI tract.
Thanks, Roxanne! I have taken Ester-C for many years, but never considered if it had the same bioavailability as ascorbic acid until the COVID-19 pandemic and reading the document shared by slacker. ;)
RAJ64, BSN, RN
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

RAJ64 wrote:
roxanne wrote:You can instead take EsterC it's gentler on the GI tract.
Thanks, Roxanne! I have taken Ester-C for many years, but never considered if it had the same bioavailability as ascorbic acid until the COVID-19 pandemic and reading the document shared by slacker. ;)
Hi Raj:

I see, I misunderstood the question. Thanks for clarifying.

Roxanee
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

RAJ64 wrote:Do you know if calcium ascorbate provides the same benefit as ascorbic acid? We've supplemented with calcium ascorbate for years due to GI issues caused by ascorbic acid. I will do a little research of my own, but wondered if you knew off the top of your head. :D
I don't know! Thanks for the vote of confidence though...
Linus Pauling institute is an excellent resource IMHO.

According to Chris Masterjohn's Vitamins and Minerals 101:
There are at least a dozen forms of vitamin C on the market, but there is currently no clear evidence that any of them provide meaningful differences from plain old ascorbic acid.

The flavanoids in "whole food" preparations may have health value, but they don't alter the value of the ascorbic acid.
Ascorbic acid is acidic, whereas mineral ascorbates (such as sodium ascorbate) are not. Some people may find one or the other better on their digestive system, but there is no evidence either one is better in general. When using a mineral ascorbate, you need to be aware that you are also supplementing with the mineral (for example, sodium ascorbate provides sodium).
There is no evidence that Ester-C, ascorbyl palmitate, or liposomal vitamin C differ from ascorbic acid either.
You may find that one or another supplement agrees with your gut best. And some people swear that liposomal vitamin C prevents them from getting sick the best. The available scientific evidence suggests that, in general, it doesn't matter.
Slacker
E4/E4
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RAJ64 »

slacker wrote:I don't know! Thanks for the vote of confidence though...Linus Pauling institute is an excellent resource IMHO.
According to Chris Masterjohn's Vitamins and Minerals 101: "You may find that one or another supplement agrees with your gut best. And some people swear that liposomal vitamin C prevents them from getting sick the best. The available scientific evidence suggests that, in general, it doesn't matter."
Thanks for taking time to reply and sharing another resource. Very helpful! I can rest easy in continuing to take what agrees with my gut best. :D
RAJ64, BSN, RN