The Atlantic: Why I Hope to Die at 75

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: The Atlantic: Why I Hope to Die at 75

Post by Julie G »

There`s also other stuff that Iv`e been reading about things that help protect other people are no good to our genotype, curcumin for example & fish oils.
Keep reading, my friend...
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

My birthday is on the 8th of December, & I`ll treat myself to anything that I want to eat or drink because I stick to a healthy diet for the rest of the year apart from Christmas & Easter.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

hairyfairy wrote:My birthday is on the 8th of December, & I`ll treat myself to anything that I want to eat or drink because I stick to a healthy diet for the rest of the year apart from Christmas & Easter.
Sounds like a good plan!

Just for perspective, being a 20 year diabetic currently not on meds, any little diet cheat for me provides immediate unpleasant feed-back... I can drink a little, but that puts me to sleep pretty quick. In order to enjoy family, I need to stay in control during these events.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

hairyfairy wrote:Thank you, It`s good to hear from someone with 4 4 alelles who is still going strong. It`s true that the weeks since I got the results of my genetic tests have been just about the worst that I can ever recall, Iv`e had a lot of times in my life when I felt that I`d been cursed, & finding out about my genetic status seemed to confirm that. Iv`e done endless ours of research all over the internet, & all Iv`e read is doom & gloom about how we can`t drink alcohol, eat fatty food or sugary food, which really hacks me off with my birthday & christmas coming up. If you can`t have something nice to eat as a treat or the occasional tipple, then life looks pretty grim. There`s also other stuff that Iv`e been reading about things that help protect other people are no good to our genotype, curcumin for example & fish oils. It`s as though nothing we do can really make things easier. On the plus side, Iv`e signed up with dementia uk & offered to take part in trials for new ways to prevent dementia, so even if nothing can be done for me, at least I`ll be doing something to help future generations avoid dementia.
Could you please give me more info on what you mean by no curcumin and no fish oils. My gosh, I've been so thoroughly good about taking those! Now you tell me I should NOT consume them? Julie, would you comment on this? Thanks.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Berri wrote: Could you please give me more info on what you mean by no curcumin and no fish oils. My gosh, I've been so thoroughly good about taking those! Now you tell me I should NOT consume them? Julie, would you comment on this? Thanks.
Hi Berri;

The opinion you quoted is from one member, but is not necessarily the view of most of us. You might want to review Dr Stavia's position on these supplements in her Primer. Some of use are taking Theracurmin after a small study came out on its effectiveness for cognition.

The good news is that you are in your 80's with a brother who is older and doing well. It's possible that you will continue to do well, especially with a little fine tuning.
Slacker
E4/E4