23andme and Ancestry - differing reports

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

23andme and Ancestry - differing reports

Post by eap1992 »

Hello all!

I got some differing results on promethease and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

A little over a year ago I did the ancestrydna test and have ran it through promethease a couple of times. 23andme tests for rs429358 and rs7412 to get their APOE4 results. When I pull up rs429358 on the ancestry report, it says I am homozygous T, T. However, 23andme found that I was a carrier of the APOE4, and when I ran their report through promethease, sure enough it gave me the same result and found that I am actually heterozygous C, T for rs429358.

I thought this was really interesting so thought that I would share. Please let me know if the same has happened to you!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: 23andme and Ancestry - differing reports

Post by Tincup »

I'd go back to the companies and ask for a retest from both & explain why.

I did have a female friend who came up as male (I never saw the report) with several retests on 23andMe. She got frustrated and didn't pursue to conclusion.

This caused me to look at SNPedia for GS144 - male & GS145 - female. Seeing some conditionals in the snps for both was a surprise to me. Had a conversation with a pediatric urologist one time about gender. He noted it was much more of an continuum than binary. Hence 23andMe may have been correct. It was hard for my friend to even consider that possibility.

She later became a Gundry patient who tested her ApoE status via blood- her reason for the 23andMe test to begin with. She was 3/3 which was a relief as her mother passed with severe AD.

Personally I've had 3 different Apoe4 tests - 23andMe, LabCorp (serum) and True Health Diagnostics (serum) (through Gundry) all came up with the same answer.
Tincup
E3,E4
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

oh that's really interesting. would ancestry still do a retest even though i was using a third party website (promethease) for that information? also do you remember how much the labcorp test cost? surely it has to be less than 23andme. i'm a nurse practitioner and i believe the office i work at sends their samples to labcorp... but is that something you can just request to get done or requires a diagnosis code like memory loss to go along with...

I also just ordered a 23andme kit for my dad and ancestry for my mom so hopefully that will give me more info (but obviously still probably wouldn't guarantee what my status is).

i appreciate your help! Thank you, George!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I posted about the test name through Labcorp here. It was $239 when I did it.

As to going back on the different results, is talk about the raw data Snps, not Promethease.
Tincup
E3,E4
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

Thanks for all of the help. Very interesting to see that I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

I've reached out to 23andme but I'm going to hold off on ancestry until I get a response. I took a screenshot of the snp in the raw dna from ancestry to go along with my message. I'll post an update when I hear back.
P45VA
Contributor
Contributor

Post by P45VA »

Life Extension www.LifeExtension.com also now has a test for APOE4. Its a cheek swab.

Are cheek swabs considered less conclusive than blood tests? I had my test ( for free) through Gene Search and found that I was 4/4.

Thanks for sharing the info.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Cheek swab should be valid. It's what the GeneMatch program uses to get you in their system for matching one up to possible studies.
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

Thank you both for the info. I may consider doing the life extension considering what I find out from 23andme and ancestry. I still would rather not have to pay the $150 though! I would definitely do the genematch since it's free but I'm only 25 :/
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

Good news! I've reached out to 23andme and they have arranged for a reanalysis of my existing sample, although "they are confident in the results they return to their customers".
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Good news eap1992! Keep us posted!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.