Advanced dementia?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
eriogonum
Contributor
Contributor

Advanced dementia?

Post by eriogonum »

Hey there,
I heard an interview with Dr. Bredesen and was amazed. My neighbor's husband has advanced dementia, and can't do anything for himself (speak, walk, etc). I thought to pass along the interview and Dr. B's book, but not sure if I should. Is the Bredesen protocol helpful for someone with the aforementioned symptoms, or will I be giving false hope?
Thanks!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Advanced dementia?

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, eriogonum. Just my opinion, but I think it's unlikely to be helpful to begin the protocol at this late stage. You are a good friend to want to help. By and large, the earlier folks begin practicing Dr. Bredesen's strategies, the more helpful they are.
eriogonum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eriogonum »

Thanks Julie, I appreciate your feedback!
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings Eriogonum and welcome to the apoe4.info site. I echo Julie's comment that you are a good and caring friend. I wanted to share two thoughts with you about your question.

First, I shared this information (Dr. Bredesen's book) with a cousin who recently lost his wife to AD this past winter. There is a strong thread of AD in their family and due to the fact that they have three adult children I thought it might be important for them to be aware and possibly begin making some early lifestyle wellness modifications. So if your neighbor has children it may benefit them as well.

Second, I was fortunate to participate this past weekend with the IFM/Bredesen Cognitive Decline seminar and if I am recalling correctly one or two of the physician speakers mentioned that while in the late stages recovery was limited but that one patient... maybe there were more, I just recall this one story... who hadn't been able to dress himself - after starting the protocol was able to do just that. So while recovery in later stages was quite limited - in some cases, it did exist. And imagine the relief to the caretaker that this one small change would make. It might be worth mentioning to your neighbor to see if she has any interest in pursuing.

Warm Regard,
Sara
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
eriogonum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eriogonum »

Thanks Sara, I really appreciate your thoughts.
She does have children and grandkids. I'll pass on the info! :)
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I read in the book the Alzheimer's Antidote in some older people with advanced AD, it might help simply to take some coconut or MCT oil, for ketones? Maybe that could help.
cwicker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cwicker »

I have 2 parents with Alzheimer's, one moderate the other severe. I would not start them on the Bredesen protocol. They are too far along to have limitations on food and are unable to take a lot of supplements.
nnwaldron
New User
New User

My Jim: Help from a Bredesen practitioner in GA

Post by nnwaldron »

Hi,
First time on here. I have been working with the Amen clinic in Atlanta who referred us to Dr. Filidei which connected us to Dr. Bredesen. My Jim is pretty non compliant. He has been riding what a psychologist told me is called the magic bullett syndrome. But, he has run out of those. He has detoriated enough and is frightened enough embrase the B Protocal. We have registered with the physician and sent all stuff in but have not heard back for appointments. When I clicked on the area to find a physician and nutritionist in my area, I believe that it was God that had me connect to the nutritionist first. The strangeness is what makes me believe it was God's doing. The office where the doctor in my city was located was one I was familar with because the Amen Clinic had referred me to them for my own hormone replacement and sleep issues. My thoughts were, good - I can take are of everything here but for some reason, I felt complled to contact the nutritionist first. 1. She has been awesome. She has given much advice and encouragement- so far free of charge. 2. Encourgage me to connect with a Doctor in another city in GA because she is one of Bredesen's top people so much so that she now has an office in CA as well as GA. AND, NOW this is for the lady who posted above about her loved on that is so advanced. 3. The mother of Lisa, my nutritionist, is 83. She was unable to walk, talk, or feed herself. By working with this physician, her mother doing all of the above. I do not want to send false hope.. But I do not think this paring was random. I will post some of the things she has shared at another time. I am still trying to get all of the Bredesen protocal stuff lined up and ready to go and must focus on that now.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings nnwaldron and thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Sounds like the timing is now right for your Jim to take some steps toward improving his health. You are obviously a caring and concerned person and clearly on the right path. We wish you the very best!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
SandyK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SandyK »

Jim is lucky to have you caring for him. Keep following your path....
If you have time look at the primer (under Getting Started) where you can learn more.