23andme says I have apoe3/4 and Ancestry says I have apoe3/3

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
dblagent007
New User
New User

23andme says I have apoe3/4 and Ancestry says I have apoe3/3

Post by dblagent007 »

I had my DNA tested by 23andme and Ancestry.com. I got the results back from 23andme first. They showed that I have the apoe3/4 gene. I got the results from Ancestry a few weeks later and they showed I have apoe3/3.

I'll admit I'm surprised by the other differences between the two tests. I've compared some of the more significant results (the genes that are more likely to produce positive or negative health effects) and the two tests only agree 75-80% of the time. I thought it would be much higher than that.

So the question is ... which test is more accurate? At this point, I kind of think I have the apoe3/3 gene because there isn't a lot of Alzheimer's in my family (although there is a history of people getting dementia the last 4-5 years before they die in their late 80s).

Do any of you have any insight about this? Am I the only one who got conflicting results?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 23andme says I have apoe3/4 and Ancestry says I have apoe3/3

Post by slacker »

dblagent007 wrote:I had my DNA tested by 23andme and Ancestry.com. I got the results back from 23andme first. They showed that I have the apoe3/4 gene. I got the results from Ancestry a few weeks later and they showed I have apoe3/3.
Hi dbl;

Here's another member with a similar experience. You are not alone!
Slacker
E4/E4
dblagent007
New User
New User

Post by dblagent007 »

Those threads answer the question. It looks like 23andme is more accurate. I guess this means I do likely have the apoe3/4 variant.
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

dblagent007 wrote:I had my DNA tested by 23andme and Ancestry.com. I got the results back from 23andme first. They showed that I have the apoe3/4 gene. I got the results from Ancestry a few weeks later and they showed I have apoe3/3.

I'll admit I'm surprised by the other differences between the two tests. I've compared some of the more significant results (the genes that are more likely to produce positive or negative health effects) and the two tests only agree 75-80% of the time. I thought it would be much higher than that.

So the question is ... which test is more accurate? At this point, I kind of think I have the apoe3/3 gene because there isn't a lot of Alzheimer's in my family (although there is a history of people getting dementia the last 4-5 years before they die in their late 80s).

Do any of you have any insight about this? Am I the only one who got conflicting results?
Hi & A Warm Welcome dblagent007!

Your username brought a smile to my day. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about the conflicting test results. As Slacker mentioned, there are other members experiencing this issue and I am sharing another thread here that I hope you find helpful.

This supportive community offers m​​any opportunities to learn and share insights. The Primer is a fantastic ​resource exploring areas such as the ​science behind the APOE gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. It is beautifully compiled by Stavia, a physician, member and E4/E4. How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4.Info Website is a brilliant guide for navigating the site effectively and finding information most relevant to you.

As we would love to know more about you and what led you to our site, we invite you to share your journey via Our Stories.

Looking forward to your continued contributions and again, a warm welcome!
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi. And welcome.

I suggest going with the Ancestry result. ;)
susanroe
New User
New User

Post by susanroe »

I would recommend asking your cardiologist (if you have one) or pcp to run a full BostonHeart Diagnostics which will test for your apoe status. I am unaware of any other labs doing this, it's a really specialized test
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

I just got my father’s results from Ancestry.com and they are saying he has ApoE 2/4. He is 92, and has congestive heart failure and mild vascular dementia. My sister has ApoE 2/4 and her results are the same on Ancestry.com and 23andme. She has early onset AD and lives in a memory care facility, since age 56. My mother died of AD age 87 ApoeE 3/4, started to show symptoms after a traumatic loss of livestock on her farm age 75.
My daughters are 3/3 on ancestry. They are going to check on 23andme.
Hughette
3/4
NotGiven
New User
New User

Post by NotGiven »

From https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/APOE

Word of caution to those with data from Ancestry.com: in our experience, based on data in OpenSNP and from Promethease users since 2006, Ancestry data always reports rs429358 as (T;T), even for people who's data from other sources indicates they are (C;T). Therefore, until Ancestry corrects this false negative problem, be aware that the ApoE genosets defined by the genotypes listed above (and therefore assigned by Promethease) will be inaccurate if they are based on (inaccurate) Ancestry data. Specifically, some percentage of Ancestry users who are supposedly gs246 positive (Apo-ε3/ε3) are actually either gs141 (Apo-ε3/ε4) or gs216 (Apo-ε4/ε4).
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

NotGiven wrote:Word of caution.
Hi Dan,

Thank you for stopping by the apoe4.info website and for sharing information with us pertaining to 23andme vs. Ancestry.com results, and also microbiome interventions for sinusitis! We welcome your contribution and invite you to share your personal journey on Our Stories which is located under the Forums section. If you would like to learn more about this site, the Primer is a fantastic resource which explores the science and lifestyle factors that impact the expression of the ApoE4 gene. Looking forward to your continued contributions and again, a warm welcome to this site!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Gillyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gillyp »

A warm welcome to the community NotGiven. Thank you for taking the time to share this information with us. I also look forward to reading future posts from you.
ND, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
FMCA/Reversing Cognitive Decline - Pending Fall 2018