advanced glycation end products

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
User avatar
CarrieS
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby CarrieS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 am

donbob wrote:As far as low temperature cooking, look into 'sous vide'. I use it often. In fact, my sous vide has been running at 135F for the last five days. The food has been changed and consumed/frozen, but something has been cooking continuously. It produces very tender protein given the proper time.

I bought a sous vide last month and have to say that the food is crazy good. I bought it to help me incubate some ferments (tempeh and natto) but have used it for meats too. Tender and lovely. Yum! It's simple and forgiving. The only thing I don't like is that the meat is submerged in a plastic bag but I haven't had time to research alternatives yet. Have you found alternatives to plastic bags Donbob?
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4822
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby circular » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:33 am

donbob wrote:
circular wrote:Donbob what are some of your favorite recipes and tricks?

Highly marbled roasts 48 hours at 135F are my favorite. I reserve the juice for sauce. Chuck roast is very inexpensive and really flavorful. For holidays or large gatherings, I have a medium-large cooler with a modified lid that has a hole for the circulator. This is good for long racks of ribs or large quantity of meat.

Thanks! Do you add anything to it going into the sous vide bath? Brine beforehand? A roast would be too big for me, but I think I'll try one and share with friends. I need a bigger bath. I've been using my Instant Pot liner but I only have two things in there at a time.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4822
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby circular » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:36 am

CarrieS wrote:I bought a sous vide last month and have to say that the food is crazy good. I bought it to help me incubate some ferments (tempeh and natto) but have used it for meats too. Tender and lovely. Yum! It's simple and forgiving. The only thing I don't like is that the meat is submerged in a plastic bag but I haven't had time to research alternatives yet. Have you found alternatives to plastic bags Donbob?

I've been wondering if I can ferment with it.

Here are the pure silicone pouches I'm using for my individual servings, but I wonder what donbob uses for a whole roast? I also don't want to use plastic, so I looked for "pure" silicone. A lot of silicone products have other things mixed in.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

User avatar
CarrieS
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby CarrieS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 am

circular wrote:I've been wondering if I can ferment with it.

Here are the pure silicone pouches I'm using for my individual servings, but I wonder what donbob uses for a whole roast? I also don't want to use plastic, so I looked for "pure" silicone. A lot of silicone products have other things mixed in.

Thank you for the silicone pouch information. I'll look into those.
For fermenting, I'm using the methods outlined in the Shockey's new book Miso Tempeh Natto & other tasty ferments. They offer directions for tempeh and natto using the sous vide to keep the temperature constant. I was able to get tempeh to work (it took me 3 attempts - beans not cooked long enough, too many beans for the amount of starter, didn't use a lid, etc) but haven't tried natto in it yet. I used the Instant Pot pot in pot method on the yogurt setting for natto with success.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4822
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby circular » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am

CarrieS wrote:For fermenting, I'm using the methods outlined in the Shockey's new book Miso Tempeh Natto & other tasty ferments. They offer directions for tempeh and natto using the sous vide to keep the temperature constant. I was able to get tempeh to work (it took me 3 attempts - beans not cooked long enough, too many beans for the amount of starter, didn't use a lid, etc) but haven't tried natto in it yet. I used the Instant Pot pot in pot method on the yogurt setting for natto with success.

Nice that your figuring that out! I'm a bit keener on fermented veggies. I'll take a look at the Shockey's book.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

User avatar
CarrieS
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby CarrieS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 am

circular wrote:Nice that your figuring that out! I'm a bit keener on fermented veggies. I'll take a look at the Shockey's book.

I use the top of my fridge and countertop for the vegetables, etc. but this could come in handy in colder months for ferments that need constant warmer temps that are hard to achieve otherwise. It may also be handy for those in warmer climates to keep a cooler temperature but I'm not sure if that's how the sous vide works. Sounds like a whole new area to experiment with. Fun!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4822
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby circular » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 am

One thing I did recently in the sous vide that was fun was a Cornish game hen. Sadly it was Tysons but at least it was antibiotic free.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4822
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby circular » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 am

I find the taste and texture of soft boiled eggs to be much better from the Instant Pot, and the shell slides off better too.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

User avatar
CarrieS
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby CarrieS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:51 pm

circular wrote:One thing I did recently in the sous vide that was fun was a Cornish game hen. Sadly it was Tysons but at least it was antibiotic free.

Whoo Hoo! We had some chicken wings that I'd marinated. I usually put them on the grill to cook and they end up burning a bit so we put them in the sous vide on something like 165 degrees or an hour (my son was in charge of that part) and then did a quick grill. The didn't need much time to "cook", didn't burn and were very tender. We're thinking of finishing them off in the oven next time to see if they are better or about the same.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist

donbob
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:59 am

Re: advanced glycation end products

Postby donbob » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:09 pm

circular wrote:
CarrieS wrote:I bought a sous vide last month and have to say that the food is crazy good. I bought it to help me incubate some ferments (tempeh and natto) but have used it for meats too. Tender and lovely. Yum! It's simple and forgiving. The only thing I don't like is that the meat is submerged in a plastic bag but I haven't had time to research alternatives yet. Have you found alternatives to plastic bags Donbob?

I've been wondering if I can ferment with it.

Here are the pure silicone pouches I'm using for my individual servings, but I wonder what donbob uses for a whole roast? I also don't want to use plastic, so I looked for "pure" silicone. A lot of silicone products have other things mixed in.

I use a vacuum sealer appliance with the plastic rolls available in the local supermarkets.
DonBob
e3e4


Return to “Getting Started”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest