Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Welcome!!!

Postby Tincup » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:00 am

firinne wrote: I'm very interested in strategies for reducing high/elevated blood pressure and in supplements. Glad to find this forum, and amazed by the amount of information here.

Welcome!. Hyperinsulinemia (chronic high insulin) can lead to high BP, so controlling that can help. High insulin signals the kidneys to retain sodium and excrete potassium (see this, though ironically the MD/PhD author recommends a 70% carb calorie diet to get a potassium to sodium ratio of 4:1 on intake, the high carb diet will increase insulin, however). The quickest way to drop BP is to water fast. Though this can lead to "low carb flu" at least partially because of electrolyte disturbances (a lot of sodium excretion).. If oxalates are not an issue for you (though excess oxalates can damage kidneys leading to high BP), you can try beet root powder as a supplement as it can increase nitric oxide.
Tincup
E3,E4

Melanie R.
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern

Re: Welcome!!!

Postby Melanie R. » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:37 am

firinne wrote:Hello. I'm 48 yo female with E4/E3. Found this forum through promethease. I'm not much of a talker :) . I'm very interested in strategies for reducing high/elevated blood pressure and in supplements. Glad to find this forum, and amazed by the amount of information here.

Hello firinne,

Welcome to the APOE4 community. We are so glad you found us! You will find this is a very supportive community full of helpful information for what you are seeking.

I'd like to direct you to the Wiki page which has many helpful links about diet, lifestyle, supplement discussions and much more.

The Primer is also a great place to begin as it may also help answer some of your questions. This link is an introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry and possible prevention strategies. This is written by Dr. Stavia, a member, in layman's terms.

Using the search tool I was able to discover many pages of member discussions regarding blood pressure. I hope this is helpful for you.

Once again welcome. We are so glad you are here!

Warmest regards,
Melanie
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (ReCODE)

Return to “Getting Started”