Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Jan »

rev wrote:So I am here to learn to help my father and the rest of the family. We also come from a long line of longevity, so I am concerned that the last thing I will forget, is to breath. My father as well. :(

I hope to learn, so that we may preserve and live our lives out with intact memories.
What a giving spirit, rev, and you are making good moves toward shaping your family's outcome for that brighter memory-infused future.

Simple, continued, deep breathing, every day, every member - maybe a shared long term family goal? Supporting each other, reminding each other. That makes a terrific foundation.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Brenita
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Brenita »

I am another newbie. I found this site through Dr Bredesen's book. I suspect that I am Apoe4 because at least 5 of my immediate family members (mother, aunt, uncles, grandmother, great aunt) have died from Alzheimer's. Most were in their 60's when they showed symptoms. I am 62 and not sure if I have any symptoms, sometimes I suspect I do when my thoughts seem fuzzy. I saw significant changes in my energy level and mental clarity when I changed to HFLC diet (Sept 2017) and started taking MCT oil and Rhodiola. I made this diet change after watching the Awakening from Alzheimer's video series. Prior to this, I had stuck my head in the sand, not wanting to hear anymore about failed drugs and no treatments available. I am extremely happy about the prospect of preventing this disease.

I ordered my kit from 23andMe today.

Thank you for creating this site/community and source of info.
Brenita
APoe 3/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Hi Brenita!
I am sure you'll get a welcome from a few people, including members of the Support Team, but wanted to send one from someone of a similar age (65) and similar family (mother, her 4 sisters, paternal grandmother--not til age 93) all died with, if not from, dementia. I discovered that I was 4/4 from 23&me the accidental way--looking for ancestry, not genetic surprises--at almost 62. I think it's important to note that many, if not all of your family members may have had risk factors you don't: high, uncontrolled blood pressure, diabetes, high sugar, highly processed diet, little exercise, and limited opportunities for continued education and challenging cognitive experiences. Dr. Bredesen's book certainly offers an alternative to the "head in the sand" philosophy, and many of us in the over-60 age group here feel both empowered to take a wide range of actions and to believe that our relatives' fate is not necessarily our own.
Embrace that happiness!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Brenita! I'm delighted that you found us and am so proud of you for checking your APOE status. Learning I was a homozygote was a turning point for me. I KNEW I had to take my cognitive health seriously. Sounds like you've already made some positive changes and are reaping the benefits- kudos. Check out our Primer, which is generally helpful for everyone, but specifically geared towards E4 carriers. The information generally overlaps with that found in Dr. Bredesen's book. If you feel like sharing, please let us know your APOE status once you learn.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings Brenita and welcome to the apoe4.info site! You awareness of your family history, the knowledge that you have acquired on this topic and changes you have implemented to date put you way ahead of the curve - mega kudos! I thought you might be interested in reading one of our articles titled "Thinking About Testing" located at https://www.apoe4.info/wp/thinking-about-testing/ before you submit your 23anMe kit for completion.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
MargaretE
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MargaretE »

Hi. I just joined today - got 4/4 news yesterday and am, of course, devastated. Just wanted to say 'hi' - glad the site is here, sorry ut's needed.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Welcome, MargaretE, I'm so glad you found this site. Many here have been in your shoes, and through this community have gathered many tools to shape a brighter future.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings Margaret and welcome to the apoe4.info site. We are so glad that you found this site! What you are feeling is very normal, but know that you are not alone, and you have found a supportive community to help you through this new understanding. If you have any questions, please ask! 

If you have not already found it, the Primer that Stavia and other wise members have compiled is a great place to start to learn about ApoE4. There is a lot of information, so take your time, and again--ask any questions to the community. The primer can be located at viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418.

Warm Regard,
Sara
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

MargaretE wrote:Hi. I just joined today - got 4/4 news yesterday and am, of course, devastated.
It's okay to work through the emotions. While being a 4/4 isn't the best news in the world, remember it's not a fait accompli either. Please join those of us who are motivated to screw up the statistics. :D My favorite saying, "genetics are just the hardware, lifestyle/diet is the software that determines what the hardware does." (i.e. epigenetics, influencing how the genes are expressed)
Our genes aren't mutated, we're the true ancestral gene, everybody else's genes are mutated. The 4/4 used to be all there was for a LOOOOOONG time, it's just our lifestyle that has mutated, so go back to where your genes are more comfortable and stick with this website and I believe you'll be fine.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
MargaretE
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MargaretE »

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I've got so much to learn and will try to remain positive. But sucks it does.