Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
KendrahB
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by KendrahB »

sel wrote:I have been trying to get my genetic data analyzed...
Hi again Sel! I did some searching and found this discussion and this discussion feed that might be of interest to you if you’re still looking to get your genetic data analyzed.

Personally, I’ve done 23&Me with a Promethease analysis of the raw data. I found it helpful but it didn’t identify anything major for me - just a few methylation issues.

Good luck in your search!
Kendrah
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

sel wrote:HI, I have been taking advantage of this wonderful site for 2 years without introducing myself. Today I found I am e4e4. I have been trying to get my genetic data analyzed and I thought Rhonda Patrick's site would be a good place to do it. I want to say however it is not. It is not workable and it may even eat money. In any case, I have paid, they have the data, promised a reply in 10 minutes and in over an hour nothing except requests for more support, monthly dues, etc. I hope other's have a better time, but beware. She seems desperate to make money.
I have written them and I get ticket numbers for my complaints but no pdf that was promised. I will let you know either way.
Susan
This thread might be interesting to you:
Xcode Life vs Promethease and other raw data analyzers. Sorry I couldn’t create a link to take you right there. You can probably get to it easily by typing Xcode Life into the search (accessed with magnifying glass).
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
WillC
New User
New User

Post by WillC »

Hi
Just joined the forum. 3/4 mostly looking for good information, esp. on what I can control; edit, exercise, etc...

Will
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

WillC wrote:Hi
Just joined the forum. 3/4 mostly looking for good information, esp. on what I can control; edit, exercise, etc...

Will
Hi WillC and welcome to the ApoE4.Info site. So glad you found us! Kudo's for knowing your ApoE4 status and for beginning to investigate information relevant to making positive lifestyle changes. This site is an excellent location to learn more about your status and gain insights into those lifestyle changes that are in your control. The Primer is a fantastic resource exploring areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. As we would love to know more about you and what led you to our site, we invite you to share your journey via Our Stories. Looking forward to following your journey and again, a warm welcome!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
barbigrandm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by barbigrandm »

Hello . Thank you for letting me be part of your group.
I present myself as the son of a lovely mum who is starting to .......well you all know.....
As the symptoms were more and more obvious, I decided to know about this new reality , and this is how Dr. Bredesen book came to me quite directly.
I couldn't keep my eye apart from the book as I walked from the book shop on my way home. I had the feeling I had something very valuable on my hands..........and indeed, I have already started to go for it.........

However, it is a bit more complex than I expected, and sometimes I feel a bit lost on planning, testing, getting medical advice and support, all those suplements, diet, exercice ........well, not a bit issue.

First thing is to know where we are, and we are working on that at present. And it is here where the first problem comes: Cyrex Array tests...... We have tried to get support from Neuro MD but they didn't even know the Cyrex tech. On top of that we are living an extraordinary situation with the Covid virus, and hospitals and doctors seem to be very focus on that. (not all of them though). Besides, mum's got AIHA, and takes prednisone 10-20mg daily .......The only lab we have contacted here in Spain says that results will be not precise, however the hematologist dr. says that we have no much options since she has to keep taking it. and it is not too much . Do any of you know a lab doing the cyrex array allowing public to get the kits in europe? I know the Housecall Lab. but they don't have Array 5 as far as I know.

Next week we'll meet the neurologist , following to a MR and Doppler Eco (we suspect stroke) ......and here is where I need some help....how should I prepare the interview with the doctor? Not many MD are very keen on "miracle books".

The geriatric dr. will see her in a month time for a first check.

About diet we have a long way done since we have been following Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution Book Diet for almost two years. Which is based on protein rather than fat, and of course low carb diet. She is T1D coming from T2.

Exercise. We try to do our best taking into account she is 83 and AIHA and prednisone don't help much but she is quite fit and very willing to do what it takes.

I don't know if this is the right place to write all those things above , or may be I should do it a different way, please advice to this new guest.

Thank you very much.
Renlets
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Renlets »

barbigrandm wrote:Hello . Thank you for letting me be part of your group.
I present myself as the son of a lovely mum who is starting to .......well you all know.....
As the symptoms were more and more obvious, I decided to know about this new reality , and this is how Dr. Bredesen book came to me quite directly.
I couldn't keep my eye apart from the book as I walked from the book shop on my way home. I had the feeling I had something very valuable on my hands..........and indeed, I have already started to go for it.........

However, it is a bit more complex than I expected, and sometimes I feel a bit lost on planning, testing, getting medical advice and support, all those suplements, diet, exercice ........well, not a bit issue.

Hello barbigrandm,

Welcome to ApoE4.info! You have definitely found the right place! I hope that you find lots of support, knowledge and guidance. You are DEFINITELY no longer alone in caring for your Mom. Dr Bredesen book is a great resource that you have at your disposal. Having been on a similar journey as what you describe, I would suggest you take it one step at a time and revisit each section as you work on your mom's care plan.

I hear you on the challenges of getting some of the tests the book mentions, in Spain. I went through a similar experience and opted to get the best possible blood test I could find and used those, while I focused on optimising the Diet, Excercise, Supplements and other modalities mentioned in the book.

I also understand that you have addressed some of these areas over the years, however, do look at some of our resources and navigate the site more. First, please consider reading our Primer, written by a doctor member who is herself E4/E4.
Next, there is an excellent resource to navigating the site, How-to-guide and the resource library the wiki to search for any topic of interest.

It shows love and deep care for your mom to join us and seek support, knowledge and guidance. You may wish to share your story with our members at Our Stories. I am sure there will be someone who will assist you with your specific questions on the tests that you are looking for.

Thank you so much for reaching out!

Warm regards
Renlets
barbigrandm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by barbigrandm »

Thank you very much Rentles for your kind reply. There are lots of information in this group.......I am a bit overwhelmed and quite excited about the idea of possible remission or possible break to the disease. I have the feeling that we are running out of time.......but if there is a bit of hope, I will go for it.
Thank you very much for introducing me. I am reading the Primer thing, quite clear but very extense .
I thought my message was seen by anyone, so I will do as you say, go to the Our Stories part and write again.
But I just wanted to share with you the following: this protocol is so complex that people ( specially elderly people) get confused and bored and lack of interest on so much effort. I passed the book to a friend with her mum in trouble and it is taking time and effort for her to get in there..................I was thinking that many people just don't want to bother, as if they have no hope. Many times we loose hope because there is no one to feed it for you. And that is why I was thinking for many months that I could help people that really don't dare because they don't know. Taking the experience on Dr. Bernstein's Protocol, I feel quite confident to move on. Since this kind of coaching is not very common here in Spain I was looking for Courses or Training in the USA. When I have read that you are a Health Coach, I was quite surprised. May be you can advice me on where to look for serious training, (although best training is practice)..............You never know!

Thank's a lot anyway
GF Wren
New User
New User

Post by GF Wren »

Hello! I read Dr. Bredesen's first book several years ago after finding out from 23 and me that I carry one E4. I really enjoy doing research on nutrition and supplements. My dad died of Alzheimer's 2 years ago. I hope to avoid that fate! Something interesting to me is that he discovered that he had Celiac disease when he was 70 years old. I can't help but wonder if gluten was a contributor to his developing Alzheimer's. Two of my three daughters also have Celiac. I have never been tested for it but I gave up gluten three years ago. I don't find it that difficult to be GF and maybe there is some benefit. I also take all the supplements suggested by Dr. Bredesen. Other than that I have difficulty following Bredesen's protocol.
I really enjoy browsing all the forums here. Seems like a pretty intelligent bunch!

Renae
Renlets
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Renlets »

GF Wren wrote:Hello! I read Dr. Bredesen's first book several years ago after finding out from 23 and me that I carry one E4. I really enjoy doing research on nutrition and supplements. My dad died of Alzheimer's 2 years ago. I hope to avoid that fate! Something interesting to me is that he discovered that he had Celiac disease when he was 70 years old. I can't help but wonder if gluten was a contributor to his developing Alzheimer's. Two of my three daughters also have Celiac. I have never been tested for it but I gave up gluten three years ago. I don't find it that difficult to be GF and maybe there is some benefit. I also take all the supplements suggested by Dr. Bredesen. Other than that I have difficulty following Bredesen's protocol.
I really enjoy browsing all the forums here. Seems like a pretty intelligent bunch!

Renae
Renae,
Welcome to ApoE4.info! You have definitely found the right place, I can agree with you that there is a hole lot of intelligent bunch here. I am glad that you find the forums stimulating and hopefully giving you the knowledge you need. You are no longer alone in walking this journey, there are many of us following Dr Bredesen protocol and doing the best we can to improve our chances of ageing better. No matter how challenging, we must strive to do our best and the Bredesen protocol is one of the great resources at our disposal giving us hope.

Regarding your Celiac question, I am sure one of our members with knowledge on that will give you some insight.
I am encouraged by the fact that you identified what you believe may be a trigger and have done something about it. It’s in our mindfulness that we find personalised solutions. It may be a good thing, though, to take your actions further and test for Celiac, so you have certainty and you don’t second guess yourself.

Once again welcome to the forum. I also just want to bring your attention to some of our resources and how to navigate the site. Over and above the forums and discussion topics, we have the Primer, written by a doctor member who is herself E4/E4. It is very useful and may give you further insight on your question regarding your diet.
There are also excellent resource to navigating the site, How-to-guide and the resource library the WIKI to search for any topic of interest. Do visit these sections for further information.

All the best with your journey. Condolences with the your dad passing. It looks like his experience gave you a lot for your life journey and you are doing well working through it.

Thank you so much for post,

Keep engaged

Renlets
Renlets
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Renlets »

barbigrandm wrote:Thank you very much Rentles for your kind reply. There are lots of information in this group.......I am a bit overwhelmed and quite excited about the idea of possible remission or possible break to the disease. I have the feeling that we are running out of time.......but if there is a bit of hope, I will go for it.
Thank you very much for introducing me. I am reading the Primer thing, quite clear but very extense .
I thought my message was seen by anyone, so I will do as you say, go to the Our Stories part and write again.
But I just wanted to share with you the following: this protocol is so complex that people ( specially elderly people) get confused and bored and lack of interest on so much effort. I passed the book to a friend with her mum in trouble and it is taking time and effort for her to get in there..................I was thinking that many people just don't want to bother, as if they have no hope. Many times we loose hope because there is no one to feed it for you. And that is why I was thinking for many months that I could help people that really don't dare because they don't know. Taking the experience on Dr. Bernstein's Protocol, I feel quite confident to move on. Since this kind of coaching is not very common here in Spain I was looking for Courses or Training in the USA. When I have read that you are a Health Coach, I was quite surprised. May be you can advice me on where to look for serious training, (although best training is practice)..............You never know!

Thank's a lot anyway
barbigrandm,
How are things going?

I will check up on you and respond to your questions on here through a PM, if you don’t mind.

Kind regards

Renlets