Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
gmpicket
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by gmpicket »

Hello,

I'm a 4/4. Learned this just a few weeks ago. My Mom has Alzheimers/dementia. Both my parents did the genetics testing last year, and Mom is 4/4 and Dad is 3/4. So I knew my chance of being 4/4 was 50%. I think Dad feels guilty; he apologized. (Dad is doing ok.)

I'm 48 and doing ok. I read Dr. Bredeson's book. I feel that my cognitive ability has improved in the past few years. Since 2007, I've been steadily cleaning up my diet - cut out the soda pop and caffeine, then cut out the potato chips and popcorn. Cut meat to just bacon and chicken - a little under daily. I don't eat fish nor seafood at all (don't like). I've been taking a B12 supplement (methylcobalamin) for about 7 years. I've decided to go ahead and add the methylfolate and the P5P (B6 coenzyme) for now. Added the D3 supplement recently also (tested in January and it was low). I started mediating back in 2013 (and studying old Buddhist texts). I recently started studying Hebrew, with the intent to use it studying ancient Hebrew texts. Keep my brain busy.

I've decided to give the keto-diet a try - but it will be nearly vegan. I'm lactose intolerant (thus I gave up dairy at age 19 - just a little cheese once a week is all I can handle - I'll consider this a blessing now!) So less meat (but not none), less bread/crackers. More leafy greens. Keep fruits to berries and apples mostly. Keep the fats to plant fats - olives, dark chocolate, peanuts, so forth. And try the 16 hr daily fast. I was contemplating the daily fast thing before this (inspired Buddhist monks/nuns doing a daily fast), but hadn't actually gotten started. I've ordered a ketone meter and strips; waiting for their arrival.

Next will be to clean up teeth/gum and sinus issues. And work on finding doctors and getting tests done.

I'm really happy to find that there is help and possibility of prevention!

Thanks,
Gail
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi Gail and welcome to the apoe4.info website. I can tell you are a planner. Congratulations for all that you have accomplished thus far and for all of your future plans. Cleaning up your diet, fasting, adding in supplements, meditating and studying Hebrew are all viable components of Dr. Bredesen's ReCODE protocol. You didn't mention exercise and I wondered if you are doing any? I want to point you towards our Primer which contains supporting information about all of these areas.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Hi Gail,
Welcome to the website! I am amazed by all you have been doing for your health. I really commend you for all your diligence to learn and apply the knowledge to your life. My mother died of Alzheimers a few years ago and I was very dismayed when I developed brain fog and difficulty finding the right word or name. It created a lot of anxiety in me. Just like you I worked on my nutrition and learned about food intolerances and turned the ship around! I am feeling better than ever. I like to remind myself that that in itself deserves a celebration! Be kind to yourself and allow time to relax and enjoy life along your journey.
gmpicket
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gmpicket »

Thanks!

Ya, I'm a planner - architect & urban planner professionally! Do mostly technical stuff. :-D

For exercise, I mostly walk. I like to do four miles daily. Sometimes I do less, sometimes more. I tried running about 6 years ago, but that made my foot hurt, so I quit doing that.
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Walking is great, I hope you enjoy the nature while you're at it. It is truly healing.

Also just a thought for you down the line about your sinuses. My FM doctor mentioned Biocidin to me. Look into it sometime, its botanical and broad spectrum with multiple uses including sinuses. You might want to talk to your doctor about it sometime :)
Nannies23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nannies23 »

I’m sorry, I know I’m not on the right page, but I’m new here and I’m trying to post questions but I don’t know where. I’m so flustered right now. Is there a help page?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Nannies23 wrote:I’m sorry, I know I’m not on the right page, but I’m new here and I’m trying to post questions but I don’t know where. I’m so flustered right now. Is there a help page?
Welcome Nannies23;

Posting here is fine. A great place to start for general ApoE4 info is our primer. There is also a search function accessed by clicking the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner. Otherwise, ask away! We are here to support each other.
Slacker
E4/E4
psajeepa
New User
New User

Post by psajeepa »

Hello,

I am Prabhath Sajeepa, new to this forum. My mother is 67, living in India. She has been having alzheimer's since couple of years and recently her condition has worsened drastically. No medicine prescribed by any Neurologist in India has helped her, rather it has made her condition worse. I recently came across Dr. Bredesen protocol. I was wondering if there is anyone in India who can administer the protocol.

Thanks in advance!
Prabhath.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Hello Prabhath and Welcome to the APOe4.info website and forums.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother and her worsening condition. I lost my maternal grandmother and mother to AD so can empathize with your desire to do what you can to help your mother. I do not know of any Bredesen protocol trained providers in India but maybe someone else on this site does. There may be a branch of the Alzeheimer's Association and a caregiver resource near your mother that could provide some relief.

Many people have found that by starting on making changes as outlined in the Primer (you can find it here viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418) that they or their loved one can experience positive results. Julie G just started a Forum post that you may find helpful too "Can I practice the Bredesen protocol without a trained practitioner? viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4459 Family members or caregivers can be helpful to guide your mom in these changes. As others have stated in these forums, it isn't a straight line but a winding road and you don't have to be perfect. Small, achievable steps.

This website is a powerful source of information and hope. You can search for specific topics of interest using the "spyglass" symbol on the toolbar or post a new question. There is also a Wiki that is packed with information that you can find by clicking on the 3 vertical dots to the right of you name.

Please let us know how we can support YOU along this journey as well. You can PM me too. Sending virtual hugs.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Jodi
New User
New User

Post by Jodi »

Hi,
I am so happy to have found this site. I found out a couple of months ago that I carry two copies of APOe4 and have been so afraid. Everytime I think boit it my whole body feels cold. It is a lonely feeling. so it is amazing to find a group of people who have been thinking about this and working on the problem for so long- a support system. I am still relatively young (36 yrs) and hope I will be able to steer this ship in a positive direction. I worry about my family members most of all. Thank you for being here and providing this platform.