Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Lila
New User
New User

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Lila »

Hello, I´m new. I´m 51, female and live in Spain. Only yesterday I found in 23andme I´m e4/e4. It was completely unexpected and it took me a while to understand it was true and what it means. I spent the day searching and reading. I´m a medical doctor and worked in basic research so I can understand scientific papers, although I never treated patients and now am a stay home mother (daughter 11, she must be e/e4?!).
I can´t tell you how grateful I felt when I found this site, it´s great not to be alone in this. A great thank you to all the team for taking the time and effort to create it and make it work. The information put together by Stavia is incredibly good, she´s made a fabulous work and has saved me a lot of time and anxiety; now I know where and how to begin. I still have to look into other parts of the site, but I´m sure they will be of great help too.
See you around. Thanks again.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi Lila and welcome. I'm so glad my work helped you. I didn't want anyone to be in the same position I was a few years ago where there was no summarised, easily accessible information.
Take your time and let it all settle in your head. Its going to take months to integrate it and come to terms with the knowledge. But I promise the worst fear is in the beginning and it will fade.
Please ask if you have any questions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
sailawaybb
New User
New User

Post by sailawaybb »

Thanks Julie,
I tried the search again and linked to a list of Bredesen Protocol trained practitioners.
We made an appointment for tomorrow, Friday, with Dr. Bradford, in Torrance, a FM MD.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Welcome Lila! Love your GO'K profile pic :) I'm glad you found us. Lately I've noticed other new members finding the site within a day of finding out they have apoe4. That's great progress right there. I didn't tell anyone about my 'status' for two weeks, and then I finally told my husband. Those were a rough two weeks. Like Stavia says, with time it become the 'new normal' and implementing changes for better health is very helpful on every level.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
meg
New User
New User

Post by meg »

Hello,

I am brand new to this site having just found it a few minutes ago. I just learned from my 23andMe results that I have one 4 allele, but I don't know what the other is. 23andMe does not report the other. I am helping my father take care of my mother who has moderate stage Alzheimer's and as I watch her decline, I must admit that I am scared to death of my future. I am also helping my father take care of himself, as he was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. He is also a two time survivor of melanoma. I recently lost my husband after a rather short but horrific two-year battle with lung cancer. I am not afraid of cancer -- I AM afraid of Alzheimer's.

I am 46 years old and am in what I think is pretty good health. I exercise regularly and eat what I like to think is a reasonably good diet, although there is certainly room for improvement. I'm not sure that I actually have a question, but I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for having this website available for those of us who need it. Thank you.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi meg, and welcome. I'm so glad you found your way to our site.

I'm so sorry to hear about the difficult times you and your family are going through. Many of us here can relate to and understand very well the fear that comes along with learning we are at higher risk for Alzheimer's. You are not alone. We're all here for the same reason and believe that we can do much to mitigate this risk. As stressful as the knowledge may be, you have the advantage of learning about E4 at a relatively young age and can make a huge difference in your future health via lifestyle choices.

When you have time, I'd like to recommend that you read our site Primer written by our member doctor. In addition to helping us understand the science around the E4 allele, it offers easy to understand preventative strategies. It is a key resource for all of us here. Also, once you're comfortable, please dive into the forums; learn from the experiences of others on the site and begin asking questions.

Looking forward to hearing updates on how you're doing, meg.
dorothy krause
New User
New User

Post by dorothy krause »

I am new. Having almost finished the book thought I would say hello.
Have not gone as far as tests yet, have just had some worrying "seniors moments".
I'm in Queensland Australia and don't know if there are doctors here that would be familiar with this protocol.
Would anyone know? Toowoomba Qld Australia.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Hello Dorothy Krause,

Welcome to the Forum! I am glad you found us.
Dr. Bredesen's book is fascinating. I am not sure If there are any familiar with the protocol doctors in Queensland Australia. I know from his website, that he is collaborating with the Functional Medicine Institute, and practitioners are being trained. Please take a look, here is the link: https://www.drbredesen.com/practitioners

Also, when you have a moment, I invite you to read our site PRIMER: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
It is written by our member, a doctor. It contains great explanation of the science around E4 allele, and very useful prevention strategies. The Primer is a key resource for all of us here.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and need help with navigating the site.

We are looking forward to hearing more from you.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Dorothy! I've had the pleasure of meeting Dave Jenkins, M.D. several times at Dr. Bredesen's physician trainings. He is spreading Dr. Bredesen's approach in Australia. You can learn more here.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi Dorothy and welcome to our community! I think a wonderful effect of Dr Bredesen's outstanding book is that anyone experiencing those "senior moments" will be less likely to ignore them and more likely to ask questions and look for support as you have here. Understanding that there is much we can do to prevent/delay cognitive decline is empowering.

It sounds like you may not know your ApoE status at this point. Whether you choose to test for the presence of the E4 allele or not, learning about the Bredesen protocol and digging into our site Primer should provide you with stategies you could employ now if you haven't already (i.e. prioritizing sleep, exercise, diet, stress management, etc.) while you consider working with a physician familiar with the Bredesen protocol. In any case, please join us on the forums and as you have questions, ask away!