Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
TBillScott
New User
New User

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by TBillScott »

Thank you for having me. I discovered the site while reading Bredesen's book, The End Of Alzheimers. My 73 year old wife Is in the throws of dementia/alzheimers? and is currently in assisted living and extremely unhappy. She originally suffered a major medical event that put her in the hospital where cognitive problems were observed, and after a cat scan the dementia diagnosis was made. Medically recovered she returned home and I started researching the E4. After a lot of blog reading and other research, I started her on MCT and CBD oils. The results were amazing. Shortly she was driving again and fairly high functioning. I was elated. I began to trust her too much including allowing her to control her own prescription meds including blood pressure meds, and I was not aware when she began to slack off on those. This resulted in a blood pressure spike and her having a stroke which exacerbated the dementia. That along with the fact that the medical personnel in the hospital and the rehab refused to give her the CBD and MCT oils. It seems that she has a marginal need to be in assisted living. I managed to gain the doctors cooperation in giving her the oils and she has improved immensely in a short time. I feel that she stands a good chance at substantial improvement/recovery if I could get the help of a good functional doctor, but I have had no success finding one in or near Dallas. If anyone can give me any guidance I would appreciate it.
For comparative purposes, we take 10 drops twice a day of 1500 mg strength CBD oil and 2 tsp of mct oil.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, TBill! How wonderful that you've found some strategies that have been beneficial to your wife. I know that MCT is very helpful for those who are experiencing a reduction in cerebral glucose utilization. Given your wife's remarkable turnaround, I would guess that may have been likely in her case. Many of us, including myself, use various strategies to achieve ketosis to both prevent and or address cognitive decline. I'm completely unfamiliar with CBD oil and would love to hear more. I'm terribly sorry for your wife's stroke. How devastating to deal with that setback after her level of recovery. We're delighted to have you here and look forward to your sharing more of your journey together. I'm sorry, but I'm unaware of a Bredesen-trained practitioner in Dallas. You might want to consider contacting Dr. Bredesen's company to get on their waiting list: Phone: (800) 450-0805, Email: info@drbredesen.com
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Welcome to our site TBillScott.

I am sorry to hear that your wife suffer a stroke, and your family has been going through difficult times.
You have done an amazing work advocating for your wife's health.

Like Julie said, to find a practitioner you might need to directly contact Dr. Bredesen's office. I can also suggest looking at Functional Medicine site:
https://www.ifm.org/find-a-practitioner/

I am sure you will find a lot of valuable information, and support on our site. When you have a moment, I invite you to read our "Primer": viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
This part of the site has been written by the doctor, and it has been a great resource for all of us.

I remember watching very resourceful online summit about the plant and CBD oils. I myself don't have too much experience with it, and I cannot advice, but maybe the summit experts will help you. Here is the link: (It may not be free anymore) https://www.learngreenflower.com/course ... he-experts

If you have any questions please ask away, we are glad to help.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Welcome to our community TBill. Hopefully you'll be able to find a Functional Med doctor for your wife using the site Magda recommended who'll be receptive to the strategies discussed in our site Primer until a Bredesen trained practitioner becomes available (or possibly is willing to dive into the Bredesen protocol as my doc here in Colorado has).
With regard to CBD oil:
Julie wrote: I'm completely unfamiliar with CBD oil and would love to hear more
I found this 2016 study abstract on PubMed discussing possible neuroprotective aspects (no access to the full paper). CBD is popular here in Colorado and I've read a number of articles over the past few years regarding its possible antiinfllammatory nature. I'm wondering if you've found additional information regarding the potential benefits of CBD oil for your wife TBill?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26845349
Katydid
Contributor
Contributor

Never posted before

Post by Katydid »

Hi. A little help, please. I see how to post a reply (which I'm doing now), but not how to write a brand new post. Where do I go? What do I do?

Also, I have a question--about safe body oils--and don't know where to post it.

Many thanks for your guidance. I'm feeling a little pathetic right now.
Katydid
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Katydid! Click onto the Board Index, from either the top or the bottom of the forum. You'll find a list of subforms or categories. Click onto whichever one best suits your topic. In the left hand corner, you'll see a button called "New Topic." Click on that and post away.
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

good morning Katydid,

I am a support team member and I will try to take you to the right spot to start a new thread. Pretty much what Julie has given also.

On the top left hand side of the the screen where you find " Board Index" click on it and it will open up the page with all the categories of topics. Pick your subject ( I will probably go for prevention and treatment to post your question ) click on it and it should take you to a screen where again at the top you will find a button to " New topic" click on it it will open a text input box where you can type it all and when you are done and ready, go to the bottom and hit the "submit" button.

hope this helps. have a nice day

raj
Last edited by raj on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Never posted before

Post by raj »

Katydid wrote:Hi. A little help, please. I see how to post a reply (which I'm doing now), but not how to write a brand new post. Where do I go? What do I do?

Also, I have a question--about safe body oils--and don't know where to post it.

Many thanks for your guidance. I'm feeling a little pathetic right now.
Katydid
Hi Katydid

Welcome again to the forum

I like to invite you also to the primer of this site,

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

written by Stavia a doctor who is also one of the senior members of this forum. There is a world of information and if you have any questions just put them on the forum.

have a nice day
Katydid
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Julie G and Raj

Post by Katydid »

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Katydid
Ksusiedal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ksusiedal »

Hi, Julie,
Here's a goofy question for you: how do I put my picture by my name, using an Apple computer? I looked at Profile, but couldn't see how to do it. I haven't quite mastered these newfangled computers yet!! Thanking you in advance.