Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Jan »

As you think about improving your diet, a good first step is to start 'adding in' some good things - rather than taking away lots of things at once. Along with that, having smaller portions of the things you like, but that you think might not be as good for you, is a good way to cut down on those things. (The idea is that eventually, you make the portion smaller and smaller, until you are able to do without it.)

Have you seen this thread, where JML is collecting recipes to form into a Wiki for the site?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3874
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Dodie wrote:What on earth do we have for breakfast when we are trying to follow Dr Dale Bredesen’s food guidelines?
Hi Dodie--I can only speak for myself, but I always have a salad for breakfast and add a little leftover protein from the night before (salmon, chicken, etc.). It was a little different for me when I changed my breakfast food, but I really like it now. I also eat pureed cauliflower with grassfed butter if I feel like I need a warm bowl of hot cereal-like textured food! It's not quite oatmeal, but I find that it is a nice substitute.

I will be gathering recipes for the group, so if you find some you like, please submit them here.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Stavia »

Dodie wrote:What on earth do we have for breakfast when we are trying to follow Dr Dale Bredesen’s food guidelines?
hi Dodie and welcome.
Over time, I moved my breakfast up over the morning so it became my lunch and now I eat twice a day, about noon and by 6pm.
It was years ago, and I ate a slice of toast and salmon. Then when the first meal became lunch (took me 3 months) I dropped the bread completely, forever. If I were doing it now I would probably use flaxseed crackers with the salmon, or scrambled eggs with lots of veggies such as onions, leeks, spinach, mushrooms etc.

Remember its not a 100m Sprint, it's a marathon. Pace yourself. Small sustainable incremental changes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dodie »

Is that with just 50g of protein a day?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Stavia »

Dodie wrote:Is that with just 50g of protein a day?
at that stage I wasn't limiting protein. We didnt believe it was that important 4 years ago. Now my aporoach would be to say that its too hard do everything at once. I would now edge my protein down slowly. I now try to keep about 60 to 70 grams a day but often go up to 80ish. So I divide my protein into my two meals.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
KrisRich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KrisRich »

Hi, I just received the information about your site. Wow is there a lot of great information. I had my 23&me ancestry done before Christmas and was really surprised at the outcome. Not what I and the family expected.... I just decided to do the health part and Oh Boy I have 2 copies of the apoE4 variant one from each parent. I kind of figured I might get ALZ down the road since my mother had it and I took care of her for 13 yrs. and I attended and ALZ support group which really helped at that time. My dad didn't have it. My mother's sister had it and her father went right into it after sun stroke.

I was praying it wouldn't happen after seeing what my mother went through. OK I have the gene but that doesn't mean I will get it right????? Praying. I am going to be 70 yrs old May 1st and have some memory problems but thought it was normal stuff like my friends.

I have been reading a great book "The End of Alzeheimer's" Dr. Dale E.; Bredesen. We have been doing the Ayurveda Diet for about a year now and it does help. Also looks like I have been taking the right vitamines that are recommended. So reading the book above i have come up with foods I can eat and foods I shouldn't.

Question if I have 2 copies of the apoE4 does that mean I will get it later on? I am going to do what I can to fight this. It does make me think Its time to clean out more stuff so my husband and kids done have to do it down the road. Thanks for any advise you have.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Hi, KrisRich, welcome to the site! We indeed have a lot of information here. :-) I'll point you toward our site Primer . It was written by physician member Stavia, and is a wonderful reference many of us use over and over. It will probably answer many of your questions as you think of them. And Dr. Bredesen's book was going to be my second recommendation - so, wonderful that you already have it! There are many prevention strategies within it.

As to whether having two 4s means you will get Alzheimer's - it does not. As you get a chance to read more of the stories on our site, you will see that in clear perspective. (The Primer also addresses this issue in more clarity.) Diet is a critical factor in the whole picture, and it sounds like you are already giving good attention to that. Exercise and sleep are also major factors. And we can't forget relaxation and fun, which also figure greatly into the whole strategy.

One subject you might also want to look at would be hormones. If you use our site search engine (the three stacked squares to the right of your name at the top of each page), you'll find a lot of discussion on hormones for women.

I applaud you for getting ready to fight - we're all with you!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
KrisRich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KrisRich »

Thank you Jan, I will check those out. I can’t take hormones. I had Uterine cancer and had everything removed one year ago. So one year cancer free. I will check out the information though. Thanks again.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Hi KrisRIch,

You and my son have the same birthday! May 1 is a great day--you can be "Queen of the May" every year! I'll be 66 in April and as a 4/4 I can say that we don't know for sure what the future brings, but there are healthy people with ApoE 4/4 in their 80's and beyond.
A recent analysis of 4 large groups of people in the U.S. and the Netherlands found that people like us probably have a wide range of risk: somewhere between 30-60% by the time we're 85, because there are so many other factors beyond these pesky genes that influence risk. (85 is the typical lifespan, so that's about as far as most studies are willing to project out. It looks like the risk actually drops once you hit 85 if you do not have mild cognitive impairment by that time.)

Your mother, aunt and grandfather may have had many risk factors that you don't, including possibly undiagnosed or controlled diabetes or insulin resistance, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, lower education levels, limited opportunities for new learning in mid-life, and a diet with lots of highly processed foods, lots of unhealthy meat products, saturated fats, etc.

Like you, I think it's always a good idea to clean some stuff out, but I wouldn't rush to do it tomorrow (if your husband is anything like mine, he's got favorite stuff he doesn't want you to mess with!)

In case you're interested, there are prevention studies looking for people like you with two copies of ApoE 4; you can check GeneMatch.com or send me a private message if you want to explore that.

Hope you're somewhere not buried in 4 feet of snow (unless you love the stuff!)
Hugs from un-snowy Virginia.
4/4 and still an optimist!
KrisRich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KrisRich »

Thank you!! You made me feel better. Being I just found out Sunday. No just a little snow not enough to shovel this time. I grew up Swedish. My father and his family all born in Sweden and he didn’t come to America till he was 9 yrs old. Turns out my mother was not all Polish turns out I was 3 points higher Ashkenazi Jew. Her grandmother from the Ukraine and she married a Polish man. We figure that they were both Ashkenazi Jews and changed to catholic when they came to America. What that was a shock to the whole family we had no idea. No one talked about it but I guess I can understand why. That’s where the gene came from. Thanks for the info. I’ll check it all out. Kris