Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
apensity
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by apensity »

Definitely, the first thing I hit was the primer, GREAT info in there and thank you to the author for all of her time and efforts in it!
Brian
49 yo male
Northern CA
3/4
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RAJ64 »

apensity wrote:I visited a neurologist at Stanford and they completed a brain scan on me, ran full blood panels, and gave me some basic psych testing, but didn't find anything (yes, they found my brain, but nothing wrong with it! :lol: )... Now I know my predisposition for developing AD, so I can adjust my life to help fight it...So now I see that diet, exercise, stress management, supplements, brain training (new ideas/concepts), and meditation are all areas I should work on. Wish me luck, and I look forward to meeting you all in cyber-space since we're all self-quarantining! :mrgreen:
Hello apensity,

I wanted to also chime in and extend a warm welcome. Others have replied with links to the excellent resources here on the site and advice beyond my expertise on exercise. :D You have so much going for you already! I love your growth mindset and your sense of humor. Both will help you maintain a positive outlook while you tweak your lifestyle habits to leverage the best outcome for your genetic risk.

If you haven't seen it already, there is a search function on ApoE4.info. Using the search function helps you find previous conversations or threads on topics that interest you. You are encouraged to post to previous topics, even if they haven't been active for a while. It gets conversations going and often promotes new ways of looking at an issue. In addition, you can search for a specific thread topic by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar at the top of the page. You may have already found this link, but I am sharing just in case you didn't and could benefit from knowing:

How To Search the ApoE4 Site

One other handy thing to know is how to quote someone so that they are "tagged" by your post. Quoting facilitates conversation between members. It triggers an email to the forum member that you are quoting and gives that person a link to log on and open the ApoE4.info website right to your comment. If you would like to know how to quote someone this link will show you that procedure:

How To Use the Quote Function

If there is anything else you want to know and can't find it on the site, please don't hesitate to ask! I look forward to hearing more of your progress (and humor ;) ) in future posts. Welcome and best of luck to you!

Warmly,
Rachel
RAJ64, BSN, RN
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
healing
Contributor
Contributor

Post by healing »

Hi Julie:
1. 2nd day and writing to ask where is profile page so I can set up a password.
2. Open to how to heal heart/brain and go on upward trail. What do I need to know exactly brain wise/lifestyle wise to ascend?
3. What oils do APOE4 use for pancakes - flour via Gundry MD Coconut/Almond/Cassava/Plantain/ but yogurts and coconut not advised so wondering what to use for pancakes?

Open to learning madly everything......

Thx

healing
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

healing wrote:Hi Julie:
1. 2nd day and writing to ask where is profile page so I can set up a password....
Welcome to your 2nd day, healing!

I can help you with editing your profile, but first can explain that unlike lots of websites for Amazon, banks, etc. you only have one password--the one you picked when you selected your user name. You would have used it this morning to log in.
  • * Once you are logged in, you can look at the upper right corner of any "page" and see your user name "healing".
    * Click on your user name and you will see the first choice is User Control Panel. Click on that. [Ignore the second choice of "Profile" for now.
    * You should now see a page that has some choices for you to edit. My profile page looks like this: NF52 Editing Profile Page
    * You can edit your profile without a password, and no one else can change it, because only you can get to that page when you are logged in.
    * Once you have changed the profile, anyone can see your profile when they click on your name. Here's what my Profile looks like if you click on my User Name: NF52 Profile
I'll let some of our other wise users offer their suggestions for your other questions, healing. We're all on a path in which small steps make real differences.
4/4 and still an optimist!
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

healing wrote:Hi Julie:
1. 2nd day and writing to ask where is profile page so I can set up a password.
2. Open to how to heal heart/brain and go on upward trail. What do I need to know exactly brain wise/lifestyle wise to ascend?
3. What oils do APOE4 use for pancakes - flour via Gundry MD Coconut/Almond/Cassava/Plantain/ but yogurts and coconut not advised so wondering what to use for pancakes?
Open to learning madly everything...
Thx
healing
Hello healing,
You've come to the right place! There is a lot of information available on the apoe4.info website. Let's see if I can help narrow it down to give you a good starting point.

I see NF52 responded to your first question, so I'll jump in at number 2 on how to heal heart/brain. There is a lot of info on this website for you to read that some of the others who've responded to your posts have already provided links to for you. To make my feedback more meaningful to you, I'd love to know more about you. Please feel free to share about yourself on this thread or on the forum thread "Our Stories." Do you know your apoe4 status? Do you live alone or have a family? When did you first learn about having brain lesions and what course of treatment have you tried? Another really important question to answer is "Why?" Why do you want to heal? I look forward to learning these things and more about you!

Okay, so given what you shared in your first post, here are three areas to start:
1. Exercise, to improve circulation.
2. Social connections and mentally stimulating activity to help exercise your brain.
3. Diet, to provide health fats, fiber, antioxidants (think color!) and create blood sugar balance.

Exercise
Do you exercise regularly? Whether it's your heart or your brain, both require healthy blood flow and circulation. Exercise improves circulation and helps bring nutrients and oxygen to the tissues, and cleans up waste products so organs can work better. If you're not exercising, how would you like to start? Do you know someone who could be your exercise buddy?

Social connections & mental stimulation
Do you engage in stimulating conversations with people or have activities you enjoy doing that keeps your mind active? Do you enjoy reading or belong to a book club? Do you have a hobby you love to do? Whether it's your brain or your muscles, the saying "use it or lose it" says it all. How are you using your brain?

Diet
What do you like to eat? What does your diet look like? Eating to feed your brain, heart and entire cardiovascular system starts with:
- eating a variety of colorful foods in their most whole form gives your body fiber and antioxidants to help maintain bowel regularity (incredibly important for brain function!) and help keep your blood vessels in good shape, allowing blood to flow easily;
- eating fatty fish (salmon, sardines, herring) is one of the best ways to feed your brain and cardiovascular system; and
- limiting processed foods (baked goods, snack chips, foods made in a factory) that contribute to blood sugar imbalances and deplete your body rather that helping it.

How does all this sound to you?

As for your question #4, what oils to use to make pancakes? That depends on your apoe4 status, who you ask, what other ingredients are in your pancake recipe and how often you eat pancakes! Some will say to optimize brain health, eat fish, olive oil, pastured eggs, coconut oil, avocado, nuts and seeds. Others will say limiting your fats from all sources except fish, olives, avocado, nuts and seeds (raw and soaked) is the way to go for brain health. Without knowing more about you and which fats will best serve your health, I'd go with olive oil or MCT oil and make sure you add blueberries to your pancakes too!

I hope this is helpful and look forward to having an ongoing discussion with you.
Warm regards,
MicheleCC
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
healing
Contributor
Contributor

Post by healing »

A giant gratitude.
For now, shy, yes, embarrassed to discuss what I am and all about.
As confidence grows, maybe can but so love what you wrote - the why of it all, particularly.
Do people ever speak with one another on the phone, for example?
I am so tickled that I found the reply button.
Just for now, door open to learning, speaking, not used to any social media stuff. So, basically pretty much a first of communicating this way. Have a glorious day, today. Will you? and again, deep-hearted thanks.
healing
Contributor
Contributor

Post by healing »

Thanks Brian.
Fell in love with Stavia and wish I knew how to connect with her.
So glad for your taking the time to reply.
For now and wishing the best of days, today and all days....
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

healing wrote:A giant gratitude. For now, shy, yes, embarrassed to discuss what I am and all about.
As confidence grows, maybe can but so love what you wrote - the why of it all, particularly.
Do people ever speak with one another on the phone, for example? I am so tickled that I found the reply button.
Just for now, door open to learning, speaking, not used to any social media stuff. So, basically pretty much a first of communicating this way. Have a glorious day, today. Will you? and again, deep-hearted thanks.
That's why I'm here! Many people are uncomfortable sharing themselves online, not knowing who is there to see. It sounds like you have made a big leap by engaging on the apoe4.info site! Welcome to the online world! To me, this site has been kinda like visiting a new town. Having the curiosity to explore and returning often helped me learn how to navigate and engage with others. This is a very safe space and is monitored closely by professionals (many medical professionals) who share a passion for understanding the apoe4 gene and what creates cognitive and cardiovascular health. It's their commitment to connecting visitors to the site with the information and people who can help them that makes this site really exceptional. Its the courage of visitors like you who go beyond their comfort zone that makes it rewarding from this side!

I will send you a private message to see how we might further our conversation. I am having a glorious, however rainy, day. I hope you are too.
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
sel
New User
New User

Post by sel »

HI, I have been taking advantage of this wonderful site for 2 years without introducing myself. Today I found I am e4e4. I have been trying to get my genetic data analyzed and I thought Rhonda Patrick's site would be a good place to do it. I want to say however it is not. It is not workable and it may even eat money. In any case, I have paid, they have the data, promised a reply in 10 minutes and in over an hour nothing except requests for more support, monthly dues, etc. I hope other's have a better time, but beware. She seems desperate to make money.
I have written them and I get ticket numbers for my complaints but no pdf that was promised. I will let you know either way.
Susan
KendrahB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KendrahB »

sel wrote:HI, I have been taking advantage of this wonderful site for 2 years without introducing myself. Today I found I am e4e4. I have been trying to get my genetic data analyzed and I thought Rhonda Patrick's site would be a good place to do it. I want to say however it is not. It is not workable and it may even eat money. In any case, I have paid, they have the data, promised a reply in 10 minutes and in over an hour nothing except requests for more support, monthly dues, etc. I hope other's have a better time, but beware. She seems desperate to make money.
I have written them and I get ticket numbers for my complaints but no pdf that was promised. I will let you know either way.
Susan
Hi Sel!

Thanks for speaking out about this; hopefully it can forewarn others. Definitely keep the forum updated on how that goes! You might consider starting a new topic on the forum about this, or using the search bar to see if anyone else has asked questions/commented on Rhonda Patrick. If you’re interested in doing that, check out this Link on “how to’s” for posting new topics, quoting, and all sorts of other helpful tips!

We are also very glad you’ve decided to post for the first time :). Always good to meet members. If you’re interested, please share more of your story at “Our Stories”. As a more seasoned visitor, are you familiar with the Wiki on this forum? There’s a plethora of additional information there if you haven’t checked it out yet!
Kendrah