Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by NF52 »

bosco wrote:It's been a year since I participated in a conversation on this site and I only posted a few times. I would like to become involved again but I'm not sure how to join the conversation, that is, where to post and how to reply. Just need a little help and a few pointers.
Many thanks,
Welcome back, bosco! Since you joined in March 2015, you are a true ApoE4.Info pioneer! We're always happy to have people become involved again, and know that busy lives and needing time to process ApoE4 news can mean time away. So here's a new resource that wasn't available a year ago: "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website It will show you how to use the quotation mark in the upper right corner of any post to be sure the writer is notified of your reply, how to subscribe to topics of interest and post a new topic, how to search for topics of interest to you and many other tips to save time and aggravation. And by the way, if you do a search and find a topic that has been "dormant" for a while, feel free to quote the last user and post a reply; sometimes re-starting conversations is just what we need!

Also, feel free to update us on how the last year has been for you on Our Stories. You'll find that other members can relate to your experiences, and sometimes have responses that are just what you needed to hear. Hope that life in San Francisco is rich with experience, friends and meaning--and of course great weather, culture and beauty!
Last edited by NF52 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4/4 and still an optimist!
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bosco »

Thank you for the thoughtful and informative response. I was in the very first immersion retreat that Dr. Bredesen held. That was in August 2015 so almost 4 years ago. I haven't talked to any of the other participants in a long time and haven't heard from Dr. Bredesen either. I wonder if he is still involved with our community and training health care workers. I'm also curious about "metformin" and whether anyone has any experience with it or thoughts about it?
Thanks,
Michael (bosco)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

bosco wrote:It's been a year since I participated in a conversation on this site and I only posted a few times. I would like to become involved again but I'm not sure how to join the conversation, that is, where to post and how to reply. Just need a little help and a few pointers.
Many thanks,
Hi Bosco ,

Happy you have come back. The best suggestion I have for you is that you read
How-To Get the Most out of the ApoE4.info website. It has a lot of information on the How of replying which will be helpful in actually being part of a conversation. for example, my having quoted you at the beginning of my post should trigger a message to you. If you don’t use the quotation function, a person may never know that you have responded to them. The How- to section of the WiKi contains a lot of tips like that.
As for where to jump in, there are many ways you can look for a topic of interest. To the left of your user name, the lighting bolt lists most recent posts descending to those further back in time. If you choose something near the top of the list, it is a topic with recent posts which could help you join into an active conversation. The eyeball next to it is posts you haven’t seen, also descending from most recent to oldest. ( since you haven’t been with us for awhile, those lists will probably be much the same for you for now.) Moving one position to the right is a magnifying glass. That allows you to search a topic of interest. You type in a topic and all related posts will be displayed.
From my perspective, the most important is the use of quote function, so your comment is not stranded in limbo.
I hope this helps you and that we will be seeing more posts from you soon.
Best wishes~
Floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

bosco wrote:I haven't talked to any of the other participants in a long time and haven't heard from Dr. Bredesen either. I wonder if he is still involved with our community and training health care workers. I'm also curious about "metformin" and whether anyone has any experience with it or thoughts about it?
Thanks,
Michael (bosco)
Hi Michael;;
Dr Bredesen continues to train health care workers through IFM (Institute of Functional Medicine). We occasionally get updates from him through one of our founders and board members Julie G.
You will find many mentions of metformin by using the search function - magnifying glass in the upper right hand tool bar - as Floramaria mentioned earlier.

Here is a recent commentary on metformin and exercise by Dr Peter Attia, a lifespan expert.

OK - off to family July 4th event!
Slacker
E4/E4
MagicBean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MagicBean »

Last edited by MagicBean on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

MagicBean wrote:Hi All -

Just found out I have TWO variants in the APOE4 gene. I also recently found out I have outrageously high cholesterol (including colossal levels of LDL particles after an NMR test) after eating a low carb diet for about a year, so found y'all after a Google searh and am trying to figure it all out. Thanks for being here.
Hi MagicBean,

Welcome to the forum.
If you are looking for more specific information on cholesterol and Apoe4 please visit the PRIMER. The author, Dr. Stavia has in detail wrote about lipids. She provided links to research studies as well as links to threads on the forum discussing this topic. Primer is a great place to start exploring the forum. It not only contains information on lipids but also general information on Apoe4 biochemistry, potential prevention strategies of dementia, biomarkers to check and monitor, as well as numerous tips on diet and lifestyle modifications.

Another great resource on cholesterol and lipids is the Wiki page. There, you will find a ton of general information and specific to Apoe4 gene. I invite you to take a look.

If you have any questions on how to use the forum, we in detail described how to get the most of our site HERE.

Please do not hesitate to post if any questions come up.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
MagicBean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MagicBean »

Last edited by MagicBean on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi MagicBean and welcome. Thanks for reading the Primer.
The objective truth is that there is no obviously universally true theory with regard to lipids - it is all opinion and individual interpretation of the murky evidence. There are at least a couple of opposing camps - and each has good and conflicting evidence to offer. The issue is which one would apply to you individually. I understand its scary for you and many others which I why I personally recommend you focus on factors for which the evidence is clear - such as glycaemic control, exercise, sleep, stress management and cognitive enhancement. Leave the lipid issue until you have the others sorted.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
heidilien
New User
New User

Post by heidilien »

Julie, I have heard about you through Dr. Bredesen's work and am very hopeful to be one of the successful survivors of ApoE 4. Both my mom and grandma suffered from Alzheimer's and I hope to break that cycle. I am so passionate about what is possible. Thank you so much for this group.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

heidilien wrote:Julie, I have heard about you through Dr. Bredesen's work and am very hopeful to be one of the successful survivors of ApoE 4. Both my mom and grandma suffered from Alzheimer's and I hope to break that cycle. I am so passionate about what is possible. Thank you so much for this group.
Hello Heidilien and Welcome!
I too lost my mother and grandmother to Alzheimer's and am very hopeful to break that cycle. You've found a very knowledgeable and supportive community and your enthusiasm will take you far towards reaching your goal. There is so much information within this site that it can be a bit overwhelming as you get started. A great place to start is this How To Guide. Please don't hesitate to ask questions and join in the discussions. We look forward to your participation!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist