Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Stavia »

Carmen, many of us did not intend to test for apoe4 but found out totally unprepared.
What was it like to see that 4/4 result and what it meant on Google when I had no idea it even existed? One word. Horrific. And it continued to feel pretty horrific for a long time.

My sisters have chosen not to test but to live as if they carried it too. They are doing all the strategies as best they can. I wish I had had that option but at least my pain has saved them terror and given them and me the best possible strategies that we currently know.
I have two adult sons. Massive implications there too.
Remember - you test your family as well as yourself.

Read our page and think very carefully.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
carmenwnpr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by carmenwnpr »

Dear Drea, Julie, and Stavia,
Thank you so much for your responses and for the helpful and thought-provoking information and resources. Julie, I'm going to take your suggestion and start a new thread in the "Our Stories" section.

Thank you!
Carmen
Dodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dodie »

I am completely new to this, & to using forums so please be patient with me. My 82 yr old husband has recently been diagnosed with early stage vascular dementia, & I (71)voluntarily visited the memory clinic a couple of years ago. When the phychiatrist met us to advise my husband on his diagnosis she advised us both to read & follow the advice in The End of Alzheimer’s by Dr DalevBredesen, but we are in the The UK. & would not have a clue how to go about getting all the tests done that he recommends. We over the past 5 weeks since the meeting been attempting to follow the eating & exercise advice & remarkably my sense of smell occasionally returns. Are there pages here were I can ask people about foods, whether they are good or Brad. Sorry probably too many questions, & as not used to how forums work I don’t know how I shall see whether you answer me.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Welcome Dodie!

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's health problems, but very happy to hear that you received excellent advice from your physician to read Dr. Dale Bredesen's book, The End of Alzheimer's. In addition to Dr. Bredesen's book, I'd like to suggest you read our site Primer written by a member doctor. (To locate the primer, just click on "Primer" underlined in the prior sentence and it will take you to that section). Speaking from my own experience, I believe it may provide further help and clarification as you continue to prioritize your lifestyle changes and perhaps simplify things a bit for you.
Dodie wrote: Are there pages here were I can ask people about foods, whether they are good or Brad. Sorry probably too many questions, & as not used to how forums work I don’t know how I shall see whether you answer me.
Dodie, Please know that you should feel free to ask as many questions as you like! This is a knowledgeable, caring community that has come together to share information, learn from each other and provide encouragement and support as needed. Regarding using our forums to ask questions, you can just click on the Forums tab along the top of this page and then select a specific topic of interest (i.e. Prevention and Treatment); scan thru the discussions there and ask your questions as they come up, or you may also start your own topic by clicking on the New Topic box (left side of the Forums page).

If any of this is confusing, Dodie, (and I understand that it can be!) just post a question in any location and we'll keep an eye out for you!
all the best...Lucy
Dodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dodie »

Thank you so very much for your encouraging & informative responses
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Dodie wrote:Thank you so very much for your encouraging & informative responses
Hi, Dodie ... I echo Lucy's welcome, and her suggestion to just ask any questions that come up for you. We're quite happy to answer your questions wherever they appear. What questions are uppermost on your list right now? So glad you joined us! ... Jan
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Dodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dodie »

What on earth do we have for breakfast when we are trying to follow Dr Dale Bredesen’s food guidelines?
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Dodie wrote:What on earth do we have for breakfast when we are trying to follow Dr Dale Bredesen’s food guidelines?
That's an excellent question, and I take from it that you are concerned that your current usual breakfast might be something you should change in some way? I'm not a nutritionist, and so cannot 'prescribe' a diet, but I'll respond in general terms to your question, and hope that others on the site more qualified in nutrition will chime in. I don't think there is a particular 'set' breakfast, either in type or content. (Do you normally consume what would be called a 'typical' English breakfast?) If you focus on 'good' food, you can make that part of any meal. Many on the site mention making larger portions of good evening meals, and using leftovers from the good meal the next day. (I've made leftovers from that 'good meal' from the day before my breakfast, more than once.) Would something like that be helpful to you?
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Dodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dodie »

We would like to eat gluten free bread with eggs, or gluten free cereals, but understand we are to keep our carbs diwn
Dodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dodie »

Or omelettes but we are meant to keep protein down to about 50g