Oldest APOE 4/4

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
u07jrb
Contributor
Contributor

Oldest APOE 4/4

Post by u07jrb »

Hi. Just find out I have APOE 4/4 and have been reading up about it. The one question I have is does anyone know what's the age the oldest person to have 4/4 and not have altzeimers? Given the statistics I have seen, is it possible to be 95 and not have it?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Oldest APOE 4/4

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, u07jrb! Yes, it's possible to avoid Alzheimer's disease entirely even if you're a 4/4. Do you know someone who's cognitively intact, 95 y/o and a homozygote?
u07jrb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by u07jrb »

No, I don't know anyone that has it. I am 36 and just leaned I am 4/4. I was just wondering if its a matter of time that you get it? i.e. 4/4s that do not get Alzheimer's die of other causes first before they would have got it. If I knew someone that was really old and had 4/4 that would help alleviate my concerns.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

First learning you're a homozygote is difficult. I know first hand. It is definitely possible to avoid AD altogether. We have multiple senior members who give us hope everyday. Starfish is 80y/o, Azlheimer's-free, and attends all of our meet-ups. Katie's Mom, a heterozygote, is 99y/o and remarkably physically and cognitively well. By knowing your status and practicing simple prevention tips, you're poised to optimize your health to avoid AD altogether. If you haven't already, please start by reading our primer. It's full of helpful strategies you can begin implementing today. Feel free to ask questions. Over time, your homozygote status will feel less overwhelming and become your new normal.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

u07jrb, my mom is a 99 y/o 3/4 with numerous other SNPs that increase her risks, but so far she does not have AD. She thinks her risks "double every year after 90", so she takes Curcumin, fish oil, ALA, B12, vit D, etc. She started supplements & fasts in her early 60s. Admittedly, the supplements have been on/off over the years & she no longer does multi-day fasts, but the estrogen continues since her late 40s. Although she is being studied by Stanford with cognitive tests & MRI, she was disappointed they deceided to not make a home visit "so they could see my lifestyle". Words of wisdom from an old E4.

At 36, you can be reassured that AD will most likely be prevented before you develop it, so I would simply focus on following Stavia's primer emphasizing exercise, glucose/weight control and mental stimulation.

Plus, we have a few 4/4 members in their 80s that are cognitively sharp.
u07jrb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by u07jrb »

Thanks guys. It is good to know. I will have a look at the other items in the forums and see what I can do that will help my chances.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Forgot to mention that she still goes to exercise class 3 times a week at 99, but I must admit she no longer complains that the teacher didn't give a good workout! Having a set to positive routines as to exercise, food, friends, sleep and reading seem key.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

KatieS wrote:She started supplements & fasts in her early 60s. Admittedly, the supplements have been on/off over the years & she no longer does multi-day fasts
Hey Katie, maybe you've already posted this, but generally how long did your mom fast and how frequently?

Does she still intermittent fast during the day?
Tincup
E3,E4
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Wow KatieS, that is amazing about your mom! What an inspiration!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

George, I'll have to pin her down as to fasts. When she was in her 80s, I recall her fasting, but with fluids for a week. Last year, she had me buy her (quit driving at 95) dozens of limes & ounces of turmeric for another shorter fast. Over the decades her fasts have been a source of arguments (me against, warning never to do past 90). Thanks to this forum, I've mellowed. What I have observed is a life-long not eating the day of an events/big meal, never snacking and if she overeats, eating very little the next day. She calls this "eating like a camel". On the other hand, she is not a picky eater, "everything in moderation".

Thx4, I suspect there are many E4s in my community like my mom. Medicare has noticed such low rate of long-term care that they wanted to study the community as to why. Like our forum community, the seniors seem to support each other in many anti-dementia recommendations, so again epigenetics rule.