23andme and Ancestry - differing reports

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 23andme and Ancestry - differing reports

Post by jolicoeur »

Hello Grace

Welcome to the site. And let's us know about the SNPs raw data option described by SusanJ.
I don't know if you had a chance to look at the 'primer' in the welcome section, but if not, you will discover a lot of informations.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

Dr. Dale Bredesen and Dr. Steven Gundry are great references as well.
(Books: The End of Alzheimer's and The Plant Paradox for example)

Keep on the learning curve: knowing is powerful.
Again welcome Grace

Jolicoeur
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
Grace
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grace »

Thank you Jolicoeur and Susanj.

I did some more researching and came up with this fascinating site that explains this rather clearly and in great detail. Just sharing in case it helps someone else. :)

http://genomesunzipped.org/2011/05/calc ... s-risk.php
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Grace wrote:Hi everyone,

I am new here and this is my first time posting. I am just coming up the learning curve and I'm very curious about this discussion but have questions. I have my 23andme raw data results... but how on earth do I locate the specific SNPs that you are referring to on this thread? Can you post directions and some contextual background for dummies please?

Thank you!
In addition to what Susan suggests, you can download the raw data to a computer and open the file in a text editor and search for what you are looking for.
Tincup
E3,E4
bscheller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bscheller »

Hi! I am new to all this and was waiting on my 23andme results which came today. Folks talk about the raw data, but I see no way in the report to actually call up any raw data. It gives three categories: ancestry, traits and wellness and talks in very general terms about tasting sweetness, bitterness, sleeping deeply, etc. How does one get to the raw data? Sorry for something so elementary!
bscheller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bscheller »

Hi again . . . looks like I finally found the access to the raw data. Have to run now, but at least I'll be able to look at it in more depth finally. Thanks!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

For others, go to
Tools
Browse Raw Data
click Download to get the whole file (in text format). I suggest saving this for posterity.

You can also give Promethease and other tools your login info and they will access it directly or your can upload the raw data to them. Sharing login info is much faster.
Tincup
E3,E4
Dancing Tree
New User
New User

Post by Dancing Tree »

The raw data from 23 and me is thousands of pages long consisting of numbers followed by two letters. Did I download the correct info? If so, how does one make any sense of these thousands of pages? Can a company like Prometheus give me info I can understand from all these numbers and letters? Thank you.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Dancing Tree wrote:The raw data from 23 and me is thousands of pages long consisting of numbers followed by two letters. Did I download the correct info? If so, how does one make any sense of these thousands of pages? Can a company like Prometheus give me info I can understand from all these numbers and letters? Thank you.
It sounds correct
You can load the file into Promethease and see what it spits out :)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Dancing Tree wrote: Can a company like Prometheus give me info I can understand from all these numbers and letters? Thank you.
Welcome, Dancing Tree!

Thanks for posting your question. My experience with giving my 23&Me log in info to Promethease is that they gave me a report that I could understand. Like you, I was baffled by all the numbers and letters, and $5 seemed like a good bargain for having Promethease sift through the raw data and interpret it.

In your time on the site, have you already read the Primer? It is written by Stavia, who is a physician member, and it pulls together a lot
of what is known about best practices for those with the ApoE4 allele. Here is a link, in case you have not found it yet:
forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
Please continue to reach out to our community with any questions that you have. We are all here to support one another.

A tip for navigating around the site and finding information that is of particular interest to you is that clicking the three stacked dots to the right of your name will give you access to the Search function. (Sometimes relevant information is buried in a Thread where you might not find it otherwise.)
The Forum "Our Stories" is a good place to post an introduction if you'd like to let us know more about yourself. Welcome to the community!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Dancing Tree
New User
New User

Post by Dancing Tree »

Thank you so much for this information. I will get this raw data to Prometheus and see what it "spits out."