23andme and Ancestry - differing reports

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 23andme and Ancestry - differing reports

Post by eap1992 »

I just emailed them back as I never got a response after they offered the re-analysis. However, I do believe that their results are accurate.

On another note, I just got back my mother and grandmother's ancestry dna results. Currently awaiting my parents 23andme results.

Pretty high up on promethease, my grandmother is homozygous rs4420638(G;G). My mother and I are heterozygous rs4420638(A;G). As we know, I am most likely 3/4. After doing a quick search of that snp on here, it seems like most people who are heterozygous for that snp are 3/4.

Snpedia says "The (G;G) form of this SNP indicates increased risk of Alzheimer's disease, however the probability and amount of increased risk is subject to some disagreement. The initial report concerning this SNP indicated a high likelihood that rs4420638(G;G) homozygotes were predictably ApoE4/ApoE4 homozygotes and thus at significantly (15 fold or higher) risk for Alzheimer's. However, one testing service has estimated [pers. communication] that 25% to 50% of people with the (G;G) are *not* actually ApoE4 homozygotes, and are more likely to be at ~2-3x increased risk based on being ApoE3/ApoE4 heterozygotes."

After reading this, I definitely think my grandmother is either 3/4 or 4/4 (and has a very high chance of being 4/4). I definitely want her to get tested through 23andme now. She is 85, and while she hasn't been diagnosed with Alzheimers or have strong symtoms, she does get confused about things sometimes. While she wouldn't be able to exercise (uses a walker and has a hard time walking as it is) and I don't know if she would modify her diet (not that she eats junk, but doesn't adhere to a strict diet), at the very least I think I could get her to take all the supplements she should be taking.

Could other people post on here their rs4420638 as well as APOE status? I'm curious to see some anecdotal data on here!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hmm, sorry not genotyped on mine.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

My results from 2013 were not genotyped, but my 3/4 mom's 2014 results were A/G.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

rs4420638(A;G)
ApoE3/4
rs429358(C;T)
rs7412(C;C)
Tincup
E3,E4
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

GeorgeN wrote:rs4420638(A;G)
ApoE3/4
rs429358(C;T)
rs7412(C;C)
I have the exact same results, George.

Also, I pretty much knew already, but 23andme confirmed that I am 3/4 :(
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

GeorgeN, I want to comment on something you posted earlier. You wrote that your friend was relieved to find that she was apoe33 as her mother had severe AD.

Our family members with dementia have tested apoe33 and they have developed severe dementia. It is important to remember that testing positive for apoe4 typically implies higher AD risk. With a close family history testing negative for apoe4 should not automatically be interpreted as low risk. In fact being in the apoe4 negative boat with a strong family history of AD can be very frustrating. It can be difficult to determine whether you are high or low risk.
Last edited by J11 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

J11 wrote:GeorgeN, I want to comment on something you posted earlier. You wrote that your friend was relieved to find that she was apoe33 as her mother had severe AD.

Our family members with dementia have tested apoe33 and they have developed severe dementia. It is important to remember that testing positive for apoe4 typically implies higher AD risk. With a close family history testing negative for apoe4 should not automatically be interpreted as low risk.
I agree. She is now a Gundry patient and her labs are spectacular. She's in her mid-70's and is doing exceptionally well. She also tells me she takes after her dad, who did not have any cognition issues.
Tincup
E3,E4
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

rs4420638 - not determined
ApoE - 4/4 (23andme would not give me this, got it through the Boston Heart Profile)
rs429358 - not determined
rs7412 - (C;C)

Not determined is the new way that 23andMe is screwing you out of your raw data, if you don't pay the $125 extra for the "Health Report." They say it means it couldn't be verified. However, they say they could verify it if you buy the "Health Report." They will not verify without the payment.
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
Grace
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grace »

Hi everyone,

I am new here and this is my first time posting. I am just coming up the learning curve and I'm very curious about this discussion but have questions. I have my 23andme raw data results... but how on earth do I locate the specific SNPs that you are referring to on this thread? Can you post directions and some contextual background for dummies please?

Thank you!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hi Grace, and welcome!

If you login to 23andme, under the Tools menu item, there is an option to browse Raw Data. That page allows you to enter the "rsxxxxx" information and return results. Just know that not every snp (or rs number) will return results.