implementation

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Jsouth58
New User
New User

implementation

Post by Jsouth58 »

Hello. My 62yo husband was diagnosed with AD last year. We had been seeing a neurologist with our concerns for 3 years. We just finished reading Dr. Bredesen's book and are anxious to begin his protocol. I have been looking on-line for doctors/practitioners to help us through the process. Do you recommend these resources? Is it practical to use the book as a guide? I am retired and can devote myself fully to ReCODE. Thank you for any help. I really appreciate it.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: implementation

Post by Magda »

Hello Jsouth58,

Welcome to our site. We are glad you have found us.

Have you checked: https://www.ifm.org/find-a-practitioner/
Dr. Bredesen collaborates with functional medicine institute, and you may be able to find practitioners in your zip code.

Also, when you have a chance please take a look at ou Primer: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
This part has been written by a doctor, a member of our community, and contains an excellent explanation of the science around ApoE4, as well as practical advice on lifestyle modifications.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Be well,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Welcome Jsouth58!

Until you can find an appropriate functional medicine doctor to help you, it's a great idea to start with the nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress management ideas in Dr Bredesen's book. Some of us have found sympathetic and curious conventional doctors and providers to order some of the more familiar blood tests such as Vitamin B12 and D, homocysteine, and HgbA1C. They may also be willing to screen for sleep apnea. These are just some ideas. If you have a good relationship with your primary care provider, they may be willing to stretch a bit to order some of the Bredesen basic labs.
Slacker
E4/E4
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hello Jsouth58 and welcome to our community.

I believe Dr. Bredesen's book along with our site Primer combined would provide a an excellent roadmap for you. Since you're looking for a practitioner to help you through the protocol, (it sounds like your neurologist is not someone who can fill that role), I'm hoping you're able to find a doctor in your area who will support you on your health journey!
Also, as you have time, it may be helpful to search thru some of our forums for other member's experiences. Along the way, please ask questions as they come up. There's a great deal of experience and knowledge in this very supportive community. I'm hoping that you'll continue to let us know how you're doing and reach out for help when needed...Lucy
Last edited by Lucy5 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jsouth58
New User
New User

Post by Jsouth58 »

Thank you Slacker, Magda, and Lucy5. I have an appointment with the doctor in a week and will ask her which of the tests she is willing to authorize. She's new to us, young, and seems open minded. Thanks for the reading suggestions and resources, I am working my way through them. I feel like my learning curve is really steep. My brain is full! We have been following Dave Asprey's bulletproof diet and are adjusting to fit the Ketoflex 12/3. We are also adding daily walking as a relaxation time and a way to benefit our 3 dogs. My husband is a bicycle rider (he rode from San Diego to South Carolina with our 2 daughters!) He also runs 10Ks and marathons. So...our walking is relaxation for him. For me, an overweight diabetic struggling with my numbers, it's exercise. :D Today we went to Sprouts and a very helpful employee helped us locate many of the recommended supplements. I will look for a functional doctor. I haven't heard of them before yesterday. Thank you again for your help! I don't know why, but after reading your replies I teared up. I think that it may have been relief at being part of a group that knows what we are going through....and offers support and solutions!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Yes Jsouth, we are all fumbling through this together, running into the same confusion and roadblocks. And yes, the learning curve is ferocious. No one masters it overnight. Our most awe inspiring members have been doing this for 5+ years. May I suggest just picking one topic at a time, chewing on it for a while, trying to implement as well as possible, then move to the next when you are ready. It may feel more manageable that way. The primer is presented in order of importance, which is very helpful in my opinion.
Slacker
E4/E4
OregonJan
Contributor
Contributor

Finding a local Bredesen practitioner

Post by OregonJan »

Hello! I am new to this forum and have searched extensively for a Bredesen-trained practitioner here in Portland, Oregon or Honolulu/Oahu area for my brother. We both want to get on the Bredesen protocol but can't find anyone who has been trained in it in our areas. If anyone knows someone in either area, I would be SO grateful for a name!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Jan! I assume that you've already reached out to: info@drbredesen.com? I know they're still struggling to get their referral list and help make connections. In the meantime, I hope others can suggest physicians who might be helpful. If you or your brother are ApoE4 carriers, you might find our primer helpful. It strongly overlaps with Dr. Bredesen's protocol. Another idea; have you read Dr. Bredesen's book, The End of Alzheimer's? If offers a practical guide for applying the protocol yourself. That's what many here are doing, often with the help of sympathetic local docs, or by ordering our lab testing online, often a combo of the two. That might be something to consider if you're unable to immediately find a local physician. Also, applying the lifestyle strategies ASAP is certainly something that you both can do. Kudos to you for being proactive and willing to implement changes. We're delighted to have you join our community.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Welcome, OregonJan, from a Texas "Jan." :-) Someone asked about an FM (Functional Medicine) physician in Portland a while back, and I was able to locate the thread where site Moderator MarcR mentioned Dr. Char Glenn. "She takes a functional medicine approach and has specialized training and experience with ApoE-4 and cognitive decline. I have direct experience with her as she treats two of my family members, and I attend the appointments." Here's the link to the thread if you would like to take a look at it.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3327&p=40086&hilit=Oregon#p40086

As Julie said above, Dr Bredesen's group is furiously working to get the referral list completely functioning. There is tremendous interest in it. But Dr. Bredesen's book, our site primer, and the helpful advice offered within our threads will get you started until you're settled with the right doctor. We always want to support caregivers also.

I hope that you will introduce yourself, and become an active member in our group.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
OregonJan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OregonJan »

Thank you both! I have read the book, checked out the sites and have called some of the practitioners that were listed on Bredesen's site. None of the practitioners we called knew what we were talking about, unfortunately. I'm sure they are overwhelmed about now, so thank you for the name of the Portland one. I'll try them now!