implementation

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Re: implementation

Post by Sara »

Hello Oregon Jane, We (apoe4.info supporters) just went through an extensive search looking for a Functional Medicine, Bredesen trained provider in Honolulu, Oahu and the closest we found was Dr. Karen Johnson, see info below. She requires a face-to-face initial visit but is then amenable to moving forward via telemedicine. Would this be a viable option for your brother?

Functional Medicine of Hawaii
59-327 Olomana Rd
Kamuela, HI 96743
Contact Information
(503) 881-6807
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
yikes0118
Contributor
Contributor

Post by yikes0118 »

Welcome Oregon Jane.
I'm APOe4 and live on Oahu.
I have my first appointment with Dr. Karen Johnson (Functional Medicine Doctor and Bredesen trained practitioner) on the Big Island (Kona side) on 12 October. I've been greatly impressed with her professionalism and personal interaction leading up to my appointment.
You may find her website helpful: http://karendjohnsonmd.com/meet-dr-karen-johnson/
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Yikes
How long has she been on the Big Island?
For the very first time tonight, I realized this doctor works in the town that Dr. B thinks Sandy was first exposed to significant mold. I lived in Waimea for 6 years, about 5-10 minutes from where she practices. Waimea/ Kamuela is one of the coolest towns ever, in the hills, elevation about 2500-3000 feet and gorgeous views of all the mountains. Also if your lucky, views of the ocean as well. However, it rains or mists a lot and is damp most of the winter. Incredible place to beat the heat, but a hell of a lot of mold. Mandatory to have dehumidifiers, which we did not.

Sandy was the nursing supervisor/ house coordinator at North Hawaii Hospital. Just wondering if she has privileges there? I doubt it because she does not take insurance. They are owned by Queens Hospital on Oahu, and those docs have to take insurance.

I now live about 30 minutes from her office on the ocean. On a quick glance I am wondering how many CIRS patients she has treated? She is Shoemaker certified, but I think just recently. Her bio states she is also Bredesen trained, however it seems like Julie would have known about her when we were doing the Hawaii search. Unless I am just behind times and crazy. Julie can you confirm that she is trained in the Bredesen protocol? If she is Certified and Bredesen recommends her; I might be interested in speaking to her. Good luck Yikes and keep us filled in on your appt. Could be an awesome find for you!!!

Mahalo Frank and Sandy
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

Hello,

I am new to this marvelous site and have not yet ascertained my ApoE status, but my great grandmother, grandmother, mother and now sister had/have AD. My sister is 58, diagnosed a year ago after thinking she was primarily suffering from depression for 10 years or so. She had 2 surgeries in her 40s, one for uterine fibroids and then precancerous ovarian cancer and full hysterectomy. It was after these surgeries that she complained of memory problems, and within a few years gave up her successful acupuncture practice because she was forgetting appointments. She went into assisted living six months ago and has been rapidly declining. I read the Bredesen book when it came out and found a functional medicine doc nearby trained in the protocol. I have two main questions. One is that she is far enough into AD that compliance is a problem. She understands much of the prototocol but is very prone to forgetting in the moment, and is not able to take supplements on her own. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a boot camp that we could both attend for a month or so conducive to full immersion, so that the program has more of a chance to succeed? Secondly, does anyone know of anyone quite far along in AD that has made a comeback? My sister is very physically fit and not overweight, but already has trouble with speech and remembering how to get into yoga postures which were once second nature.

Many thanks, and my apologies if I have rather diverted from the thrust of the conversation on this thread; am hoping it is relevant.

JLHughette
Hughette
3/4
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Hi jlhughette--welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about your sister's decline and the many women in your family who have had AD. I agree that it is difficult for someone with AD to implement the protocol by themselves. Is anyone at her assisted living facility knowledgeable about the protocol and willing to help her?

As for your question about boot camps--that is a great idea! But I do not know of one. I attended a 4 day Immersion program with Dr. Bredesen last March (with family members), but I have not heard for sure if there will be another one soon. (Maybe someone else on the forum knows?)

I saw a similar question in another recent post about whether the protocol works in someone quite far along with AD. This was the comment:
I did ask the question in the last Town Hall meeting about the chances of success with a stage 5 AD patient, and Dr. Bredesen seemed encouraging.
You and your sister have made a great start in finding a functional medicine doctor familiar with the Bredesen protocol, and in reading Bredesen's book. Exercise is an important part of the protocol, so your sister's physical fitness should be an asset. Have you found the Primer on this site? It is another great resource to help you both get started. (Due to her hysterectomy, the HRT section may be of interest?)

Hugs to you both as you start on this journey. As questions come up along the way, please post them. There are so many knowledgeable people here to help you.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

Hi Julie,

It is such a good feeling to receive your response to my queries. I feel excited and supported to keep trying to help implement the protocol for my sister and myself. I did read the primer and it was incredible. I'm very excited to read EVERYTHING on this blog. So much to absorb.

I'll keep you updated.

Many thanks,
Hughette
Hughette
3/4