Two copies of apoe4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Praying
New User
New User

Two copies of apoe4

Post by Praying »

I found out a month or so ago I have two copies from 23andme. I don’t believe in coincidences. As I left work ( I’m an RN) as I walked through the lounge and the TV was on. Dr Oz announced The End of Alzheimer’s by Dr Bredesen. I stopped to watch it. I ordered the book and this weekend I have read it. OMG. Can I do this?? I must do this. I’m scared. I’m sad. I’m only 64. Not sure I’ve had any symptoms yet. My paternal grandma had it. Maybe my dad. But never recognized any symptoms in my mom. She died of massive heart attack 7 years ago at age of 76. I go for genetic counseling in two weeks as well as assessment. I also just got a bunch of lab work done by Boston Heart and my values are suboptimal although some are “ normal”. How do I get on the reCode program with a doctor in Texas?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Two copies of apoe4

Post by Stavia »

hi Praying. Welcome to our community.
In answer to your question - you can contact MPI directly: website: www.drbredesen.com, email: info@drbredesen.com, phone: (800) 450-0805.
In a broader sense, we are here to support and help you :)
Of course you are scared. I promise, as you start to put in place some of our strategies, you will feel stronger and more hopeful.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Welcome, Praying. It's scary, but as Stavia said putting good strategies into place will help you feel stronger and more hopeful. Stavia is a physician member of the site, and here is a link to the Primer she has written: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 . In addition to Dr. Bredesen's book, Dr. Steven Gundry has written Plant Paradox, which many on the site find helpful.

But the major point I would recommend to you tonight is that genetics are only one part of the equation. The 36 holes Dr. Bredesen speaks about are accessible. As you read through the threads of this site, you'll see many success stories. We definitely want you to be another one.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

Hello Praying

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to know about the facts you have expressed. Congratulations on finding and finishing the book by Dr Dale Bredesen. I would like to invite you to the primer of this forum given below, written by Dr Stavia who was the first to respond to your posting. There is more information within the primer that will put things to better perspective for you as an RN, with the information you will find as you go further.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

You have reached the right group. There is so much of knowledge and experience coming from members and we are all here to share and care for each other. The primer has so much related and relevant information put together and there is contribution to the forum happening everyday. There is almost everything you are looking for and much more here at the forum. Just post your questions as you come up with and you will be answered by qualified, experienced and knowledgeable people.

I would like to also guide you to the area where you can write more about yourself and your experience with information as a health professional in " Our Stories " which is found in the " Board Index" that you will find in the top left hand corner of this page. Once you enter in there you click on " New Topic " which will open a box for you to type in all you want to tell us and then hit the "submit" button.

we are glad to have you join us.

Welcome again
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Praying,

Yes, you can do it!

You are not alone. Being a 4/4 may only be 2% of the population, but there are still a lot of us around. For MOST of human history, a long time, 4/4 was the only genotype there was and it served us very well. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, it just needs to be handled properly. Today’s lifestyle makes that very difficult, but not impossible! Be one of the radicals.

With proper “care and feeding” a 4/4 can actually be beneficial. Power comes from knowledge. You’ve read Dr Bredesen’s book, you’ve been referred to the primer, you can use the search function to find answers to specific questions in these forums and can ask questions yourself.

Yes, it’s scary, but try not to be scared, that can be paralyzing. Get that knowledge/power and take charge! Please join those of us who refuse to be told being a 4/4 means ultimate ill-fate. How genes are expressed can be manipulated, biomarkers can be changed to go in the right direction, and even a positive attitude can make a big difference.

I second what Stavia said,
Stavia wrote:we are here to support and help you
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Hi Praying,
If you're praying, you're responding more thoughtfully than I did when I got the same news three years ago (I'm now 65). I think I was mostly gob-smacked and in shock. As Stavia says, it does get better. It helps to realize that as a a working RN, you are in the "cognitively normal" population and are banking the all-important "cognitive reserve" every day! I think those of us who are at similar ages are doing our best to 1) Get more information--which you are already doing; 2) Talk with family and professionals we trust about what this means both now and for possible future needs (like long-term care insurance, or not waiting to age 80 to take that dream vacation); 3) applying what makes sense from one or more of the many approaches available, and 4) recognizing that genetics is not destiny: we are still the same people we were before we had this news; we can still live and love to the fullest.
Depending on what lab tests you had done from Boston Heart, and given your mom's history of heart attack, you may want to talk to your family doctor about some additional testing looking at the cardiac risks, not get the dementia risks, associated with ApoE 4/4.
( I just posted a link under Science and Research to an article finding a strong correlation between ApoE 4/4 and high levels of Lp(a), an independent risk factor for coronary artery and aortic valve disease. )
Keep posting--let us know how you're doing!
4/4 and still an optimist!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Dear Praying, yes, you can do it! You've no doubt tackled many other challenges in your life including getting your degree and a lifetime of working! Just remember baby steps, and gather all the tricks that have served you well in the past to apply to what you will do going forward.

We're here for you. Hugs.