How can I improve my lipids?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
catscatscaats
Contributor
Contributor

How can I improve my lipids?

Post by catscatscaats »

early 30s, go to gym a few times a week, try to stay active during the day, don't smoke, rarely drink, my glucose spikes in the 200s if I have too many carbs at once

total cholesterol 238
hdl cholesterol 76
triglycerides 45
ldl cholesterol 148
chol/hdlc ration 3.1
non hdl cholesterol 162

I'm APOE 3,4- just learning about all this
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How can I improve my lipids?

Post by apod »

Just curious for context, what sort of diet do you follow and how's your BMI / height / weight? A 76:45 HDL / TG ratio while active in your 30s would seemingly suggest a decent insulin sensitivity (if you follow a HFLC diet, maybe there's physiological IR?)

On the supplement front, it seems like Fish Oil, Pantethine, and Soluble fiber are easy additions to nudge things in the right direction. Trading some SFA for MUFA on the diet front should provide another nudge -- trading SFA for MUFA has the side effect of increasing PUFA, so you might want to toss in prophylactic CoQ10. From there you might look at micronutrients like iodine / selenium / copper and double check thyroid hormones for another potential nudge if anything is low. If you're above what might be considered an optimal BMI, sliding back into range could provide another nudge.

You might want to ultimately look into measuring sdLDL, LDL-P, and oxLDL to better assess risk.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

From my perspective, your lipids look excellent!

Your Tg/HDL ratio is 45/76 = 0.60. Target by my doc, Steve Gundry is <=1.0. He wouldn't worry about your LDL at your level. If you want to lower , minimized saturated fats from animal fats and coconut / MCT oil.
Tincup
E3,E4
catscatscaats
Contributor
Contributor

Post by catscatscaats »

I do follow a lchf diet because it keeps my blood sugar from spiking. I'm about 5'4, 108 pounds.

Thanks for the ideas.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Tincup wrote:From my perspective, your lipids look excellent!

Your Tg/HDL ratio is 45/76 = 0.60. Target by my doc, Steve Gundry is <=1.0. He wouldn't worry about your LDL at your level. If you want to lower , minimized saturated fats from animal fats and coconut / MCT oil.
I concur - your lipids are great right where they're at. I do agree cutting sat fats may lower, but I do not think we can say as confidently that that is necessarily a good thing? If you want to look at markers, check inflammation markers starting w hsCRP, then if that's already low, too, just rock on. If not, may be helpful to check more inflammation markers (e.g. Gundry-type panels).

Russ
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

omg, catscatscaats- how many? :D I agree with Russ. If CAD is what you're worried about, check out your inflammation markers and don't forget glycemic markers; hbA1c, fasting glucose and insulin.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Great advice you've received on lipids, catscatscaats. I just wanted to say I'm impressed with your exercise routine. Sounds like you're paying good attention to diet and lifestyle measures. Kudos!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

Hello catscatscaats

welcome to the forum, I would like to invite you to the primer of this forum if you have not been able to get there yet written by Dr Stavia a very senior member of this forum. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
Dr Stavia has put a lot of information together and explained in detail relevant and pertinent issues relating to
ApoE4 members. There are many more experienced and knowledgeable people in this forum ready and willing to share their knowledge and experience.

If you are looking for any topic in specific discussed and exchanged on the forum already you may try the search button within the three stacked cubes in the top right hand corner of this page . Do put any further questions on the forum and answers will come to you.

Looks like you are already familiar with Dr Gundry's work and his new book " The Plant Paradox ". Just in case you have not got the chance to know about the new book which came out in august written by Dr Dale Bredesen " The End of Alzheimer's " and his protocol within the book for the treatment and reversal of cognitive decline is a good resource to get as well.

You may introduce yourself in more detail if you wish through " Our Stories " which you will find within the "Board Index" tab on the top left hand corner of this page.

we all look forward to hearing more from you.