Diet for elderly mom who does NOT need to lose weight.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Diet for elderly mom who does NOT need to lose weight.

Post by NF52 »

Hi acornstwo,
Because your mom has "blood platelet problems", has her hematologist or PCP suggested that she has vascular dementia rather than "classic" Alzheimer's. If so, and if she is at risk of micro-bleeds or vascular ischemic events in the brain, it may be helpful to ask the hematologist for more specifics about that, and any interventions. In my own case, my mother's heart disease was far more advanced than her dementia, a fact that we didn't grasp until close to her death at age 86.
Hugs to you and your family for such loving care.
4/4 and still an optimist!
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Hi acornstwo

Regarding: Oh, and: Some of the foods I eat, like nuts, don't work for her dentures.
There is a good recipe using ground nuts ( in a NutriBullet or blender) - Snow balls.
Here is the link: http://www.drhardick.com/nutbutter-snow-balls
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
acornstwo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acornstwo »

Jolicoeur, I am absolutely going to make some snowballs, for her and me both. In fact, her latest obsession is with Ritz bits peanut butter sandwiches. (Argh! I found her eating them out of a planter with the spoon like they were cereal. ) Maybe she’ll like snowballs even better. They look wonderful.
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

It is delicious. I even put them in the freezer to be sure I'll have them on hand.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
acornstwo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acornstwo »

Oh goodness. I just made them. Really good! I'll use this recipe over the holidays - I've been looking for festive things to make.

I"ve found a decent recipe for pumpkin custard, and may seek out some of that A2 cream to make whipped cream.

Also, sweet potatoes and beets cut into cubes and roasted with olive oil. Comes out looking like jewels.

Any other ideas, anyone?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Your comment about pumpkin custard made me think of chia puddings. Here's a basic one, sweetened only by banana. If you let it sit overnight, the chia seeds will be soft like tapioca. Branch out from this basic pudding, and you can experiment to get her favorite flavors in there. Or just google chia puddings for other recipes - watch for excess sugar, though.

https://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/02/05/ ... a-pudding/

Before I transitioned to intermittent fasting, I'd eat them occasionally for breakfast.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

Pupusa-type "bread"

Combine 2 Tablespoons pork rinds (grind into dust), 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal, 4 eggs, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 2 Tablespoons shredded cheese (optional), 1/4 cup sour cream (or cream cheese). Fry in ghee/butter or coconut oil until brown on each side. Optional: add ground cumin or tumeric or coriander to spice it up.

You can add more water for a thinner cake, but I prefer them thickish. Makes a nice wrap for a sandwich with a veggie filling (sauted spinach) or nut butter.

The batter will last a day or two in the refrigerator, so you don't need to use it all at once.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

acornstwo wrote:Oh goodness. I just made them. Really good! I'll use this recipe over the holidays - I've been looking for festive things to make.

I"ve found a decent recipe for pumpkin custard, and may seek out some of that A2 cream to make whipped cream.

?
Could you please share your recipe for pumpkin custard? I have been working on perfecting a recipe to use for Thanksgiving, but would love to try yours!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
acornstwo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acornstwo »

JML,
I haven’t tried it yet, but here it is:
http://simplysohealthy.com/low-carb-slo ... n-custard/
acornstwo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acornstwo »

SusanJ & Hilldweller, thanks! I will try the chia pudding - not sure about the pork rinds, though. :)