Convenience foods

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
acornstwo
Contributor
Contributor

Convenience foods

Post by acornstwo »

I work long hours sometimes, and the weekends can be busy too. (In fact that's been my biggest health downfall - eating on the fly.) Ketosis helps a lot, because I can get a lot of bang from a handful of nuts, hard boiled eggs, a cucumber, spinach, or a few tomatoes. But I checked the ingredients of a Raley's Rotisserie chicken - it was all food. Also, how about hummus if I check ingredients? Almond butter?

So my question is: are there any convenience items you buy from the store?
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Convenience foods

Post by buck3Maureen »

There are a lot of protein bars out there. Some have almost no carbs but a good deal of protein. Although not ideal if it keeps your from eating something worse, it might be good to throw some in your car or purse.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I usually grab pickles and olives as a convenience food. Often, if I'm craving a snack, I'm craving salt.

Hummus seems like a relatively safe bet -- it can be a pain to make yourself (soaking, pressure cooking, roasting veg, blending, refrigerating, cleaning, etc.) Majestic Garlic sells a line of sprouted hummus that's pretty awesome, if you're not in the anti-lectin camp. It's surprisingly low carb.
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Hi acornstwo

I'm a fan of organic raw almond butter! And since I'm travelling a lot, I often buy organic nut butters in pouches ( from Artisana) and grass-fed meat EPIC bars. Regarding jerky, I tried a lot of them too and the one that is good and easy to eat is the Kalahari Biltong (grass-fed beef - no sugar added, gluten and soy-free). If you want some protein powder, look for the ones that have just a very few ingredients and a low process.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Acorn:
There is a wealth of information on this subject hidden in many prior threads - it can be hard to find - but searching for "snack" may be of help for you. The search function is found under the 3 vertical dots in the right upper corner of the website.
Slacker
E4/E4
acornstwo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acornstwo »

Thanks, slacker!
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Hi, here in the UK they have started having more options I've noticed for snacks in shops, not sure if maybe the same in US? For example little tubs of humous and carrot sticks, eggs with spinach, nuts, for example, greek yoghurt...sachets of nut butter..they do little salad pots also. Hopefully you'll find something you like!
betterallthetime
Contributor
Contributor

Post by betterallthetime »

This may sound strange, but I buy organic baby food. It comes in nice small containers, easy to fit in your purse, and it doesn't have added ingredients.
I'm determined to be as healthy as I can, for as long as I can. And to live each moment that I have with kindness, grace and humor. I'm not obsessed with health but I'm obsessed with living each moment as kindly and lovingly as I can.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

betterallthetime wrote:This may sound strange, but I buy organic baby food. It comes in nice small containers, easy to fit in your purse, and it doesn't have added ingredients.
Welcome Better! What a novel idea.... please feel free to tell us more about you in the Our Stories forum if you like. If you haven't already please check out the primer: Primer
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

betterallthetime wrote:This may sound strange, but I buy organic baby food. It comes in nice small containers, easy to fit in your purse, and it doesn't have added ingredients.
I had that same idea when my granddaughter was born. :-)
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.