Overwhelmed 4/4 Looking for Path Forward

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Phaedrus409
Contributor
Contributor

Overwhelmed 4/4 Looking for Path Forward

Post by Phaedrus409 »

Hi all. My name is Greg, and I've been lurking here for some time, but finally decided to introduce myself and try and take a more active role in the community here. On that note, thank you all for this wonderful resource. It's been a real asset to me as I struggle through all this.

I'm a 36 year old male, and am a 4/4. I generally consider myself to be in pretty good shape (5'10", 180 lbs, muscular build), but after my most recent doctors visit and some lab work, I'm struggling as to the way forward. In short, my doctor who I suspect may be giving me fairly generic advice, is recommending I go on a low dose statin, which has me extremely concerned when thinking long term. Frankly speaking, I'm not even sure my bloodwork today warrants that, but am way out of my comfort zone and looking for some opinions.

From my recent NMR:

LDL-c - 120
LDL-p - 1533
HDL-C - 41
HDL-P - 27.8
Total Cholesterol - 179
Triglycerides - 89
Small LDL-P 737
LDL Size 20.8

I'm currently eating a relatively high protein, moderate carb, low fat diet (in alignment with my exercise goals), but I'm thinking making adjustments here may be the first avenue of attack if I forgo the statin. That said, reading through Dr. Gundry's protocol has left me overwhelmed and feeling like there is nothing I can eat anymore!

Given my age and current numbers, any advice at all as to strategy would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!

- Greg
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Overwhelmed 4/4 Looking for Path Forward

Post by NF52 »

Hi Greg,
I have an almost-36 year old son who is very similar to you in build and is a 3/4. He's also a guy who had heart surgery to correct a congenital anomaly when he was 5 years old, so cardiologists would probably suggest all sorts of things for him. (He chooses not be followed by one for now.) His diet is less "high fat" and far less processed food than 15 years ago. More healthy high fats (extra virgin olive oil, nuts) plus onions/peppers, tomatoes, etc. with jalapenos and a ton of home-grown spices and fresh fruits. He's lived abroad a fair amount and enjoys buying local, fresh food and local craft beers. Beyond that, and walking several miles a day with his dog, I think he believes in not worrying about what he can't control.
You and my son are both likely to benefit tremendously in the next few decades from rapidly advancing basic research and clinical practice in how to prevent dementia. You might want to read Dr. Bredesen's new book "The End of Alzheimer's." I find it both less overwhelming than Dr. Gundry's book, and full of very specific ideas of how to plug "the 36 holes in the roof" that may contribute to Alzheimers. Prioritizing 8 hours of sleep, enjoying social interaction and cognitive challenges may be just as important as diet, (and you're probably doing at least 2 of those 3!) especially if you can also keep your blood glucose and blood pressure at good levels.
Having said that, I will share that although taking statins is controversial among some people, I started a low dose of atorvastatin (10 mg.) 6 months ago due to LDL-C and LDl-P numbers higher than yours. I was happy to find after 6 months that the LDL-C dropped to 80, and the LDL-P went from about 2200 to 1100. HDL also rose. I was also eating a more high (healthy) fat/low carb diet, but I think the statin helped. And since I have a family history of heart disease and strokes, I felt it was important to me to address that.
You may want to talk with your doctor some more about your own family history and your scores on the standard risk algorithms, and/or decide to adjust your diet for 6 months or a year and re-test.
Either way, I think you have time--most of us go slow, knowing that we are not destined to get Alzheimers (even if we are going to worry about it for a while.) And if you're brave, you may want to talk to your parents about what you've found, since they must have at least one copy of ApoE 4 each, and may be interested in Dr. Bredesen's book, or in some clinical trials for people with ApoE 4 who are ages 60-75.
Good luck on the journey!
4/4 and still an optimist!
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Welcome to the forum Phaedrus409 - Greg!

I can see that you're in good shape. Great! As well as your prudence regarding statins.

The forum is effectively a great place to be where you can get lots of information and support. And one of the best places to start is the primer. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

Everyone's experience is different and you will see that here. The primer takes you to places that really do help understand and decide what you want to do. It has been written by Dr. Stavia, a member of our community, and it talks about science, prevention, lifestyle modifications. The section 'strategy 5' in the primer gives you info on fats, cholesterol, LDL/HDL particles and some recommendations regarding optimal results, etc....

Your idea to make adjustments in your nutrition plan and macronutriments is a good thing. Fat is a good fuel for training goals. The body needs to be adapted to use fats instead of carbs. And for Dr. Gundry's protocol...if I may suggest? Yes, it's overwhelming at first. Look at what is possible for you to do. Some steps! What can you do this week or this month? With time you will be able to change many things when looking back to this road.

Again welcome Greg
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
Phaedrus409
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Phaedrus409 »

Nf52, Jolicoeur,

Thank you both for the responses. I actually made my way through the primer at 3AM last night after finding myself obsessing over all this and my lack of a plan. It's absolutely a phenomenal resource, and I really appreciate Dr. Stavia taking the time to pull it all together.

I very much like the mentality of doing what I can for now and that being OK. I tend to try and go all in on endeavors, but making such drastic changes all at once feels so untenable.

The statin question n is still very much on my mind, but I'm thinking I'll make some dietary changes and retest to see if there us any noticeable effect from that alone. Is there a typical time frame you all recommend for that sort of thing? I'd assume dietary changes take some time to truly make an impact.

Thanks!
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Phaedrus409
Yes the primer is a phenomenal resource.
For your changes, what about doing what is doable/workable for you, step by step?
How does it sound to choose 1 thing you can do right now? and plan another one when you're ready to do it ? for lasting lifestyle changes.
For the statin: it's an excellent idea. Dietary changes could be very fast. Everybody is different. And with your training it won't be surprising.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
silviapanitch
Contributor
Contributor

Post by silviapanitch »

Hi Greg.
I saw your posting and I feel for you.
I am an integrated functional medicine practitioner. I see a lot of patients whom doctors want to give them statins. Your labs do not call at all for statins. Being Apo 4, 4 the least that I would do is take statins. Statins have many problems specially depleting your COQ 10 which is needed for mitochondrial health( power house of each cell) especially in the brain. Lots being written re connection with AD.
We need enough cholesterol for our brain function. Also an advanced testing for lipids if you worry would be indicated.
So many other things you need to do instead. Read DR Bredesen book. Very useful.
Phaedrus409
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Phaedrus409 »

Thank you all! I've been looking into Dr. Bredesen and will be ordering his book. Also noticed he has the ReCODE program, which seems like a viable, but albeit, expensive option. Lot's to consider. I guess the journey is just beginning...

Greg
alangreenmd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alangreenmd »

Hi Greg,
Look at my new website: https://alzheimer-prevention.com/statins
In Disease and treatment section there is page on statins.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Nice to see you posting, Dr. Green. Your link doesn't work. Could you please correct?
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »