where can i get test to determine if i have apoe4 gene?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
hyroseman
New User
New User

where can i get test to determine if i have apoe4 gene?

Post by hyroseman »

Where can I get test to determine if I have Apoe4 gene as well as other genes that can predict predisposition to other medical problems? If there is more than one source for this test, which places are most cost effective?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: where can i get test to determine if i have apoe4 gene?

Post by slacker »

Welcome hyroseman;

This link answers some of your questions:
https://www.apoe4.info/wp/thinking-about-testing/

I don't remember there being a discussion here about cost effectiveness of various labs for testing, but a quick google search will provide information on lab companies offering the ApoE test, with possible costs. Predicting predisposition to other medical problems? 23andme would probably be your best bet. Other members may chime in as well...
Slacker
E4/E4
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

I agree with Slacker, hyroseman, that 23andMe is a good basic place to start. It gives quite a bit of information, and you can then easily run the raw data through additional sites for further extrapolation if you desire.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

Hello Hyroseman

welcome to the forum. I would like to invite you to the primer of this which has a lot of information and much more which you will find helpful. The primer is written by Dr Stavia a senior member of the forum and she has put it all together to answer many basic questions that relate to ApoE4. I am giving the link below for a ready reference.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

We are interested in knowing more about you which you may post in the " Our Stories " which is within the " Board Index " in the top left hand corner of this page where you will find "new topic" after entering into our stories once you enter into the new topic there is a text editor box where you can type all you wish to say about yourself and then hit the " submit " button.

If there is any specific topic you are looking for on the site you may use the search tool which is in the three stacked boxes that are in the tip right hand corner of this page.

There is a wiki page with information categorized into various topics also held within the three stacked boxes.

as you go if you come up with any questions do post on the form some body from the group will come back with an answer for you.

welcome again

raj
Brenita
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Brenita »

Do you need to order the 23andMe kit that is Health + Ancestry or is the Ancestry one adequate?
Brenita
APoe 3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Brenita wrote:Do you need to order the 23andMe kit that is Health + Ancestry or is the Ancestry one adequate?
My understanding (though I got the test before they had 2 price points) is that the Ancestry is adequate. What you do is then run the raw data through Promethease or another 3rd party interpretation program. Also think (verify this) you can upgrade from the lower price point to Health later. It is all the same data, they just don't give you their interpretation on the lower cost one. There have been some reports that their chip doesn't "see" the ApoE4 SNPs on everyone, but I don't think this is common.

A friend's wife ran 23andme and they asked her if she was sure she was female. They resampled and got the same result. Got me to looking at what makes male/female as per Snpedia Male, Female and was surprised it wasn't a simple binary answer.

On our first ApoE4 meetup in 2015, we had husband & wife who were doctors in our group. The husband was a pediatric urologist and he noted that gender wasn't binary.

This isn't related to ApoE4, but just put this in to say things aren't always as straightforward as they seem.
Tincup
E3,E4
HomesteadGal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HomesteadGal »

I ordered my APOE test online through Direct Labs and had the blood drawn at the nearest Quest lab. Cost me about $200 and it is not on my medical records anywhere, so I do not run the risk of being denied for health, life or long term care insurance in the future.
DelilahSparkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DelilahSparkle »

I'm new to this forum and am wondering about the amount of information you are given in the 23andme health assessment (on sale through tomorrow for $150), as opposed to the Life Extension report (regular price: $150). Does the 23andme report break down E2, E3, and E4 (like the Life Extension test does), or does it simply tell you if you have one or more E4's? The sample report they show you on their website gives no indication. The Life Extension example report, on the other hand, shows a full breakdown. Thank you for any help you can give.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Welcome DelilahSparkle;

I am not an expert on 23andme, but with that being said, my understanding is that you get all the raw data with the ancestry option, but must run it through a data cruncher like Promethease to get the E2, E3, and E4 details. Tincup covers this in a post or two above in this thread. It might be worth a contacting 23andme directly to ask about a full breakdown. They have an "800" number and customer email address on their website.

Even though the focus of this website is on health issues for ApoE4 folks, there is a wealth of information for all people concerned about Alzheimer's. You may find our Primer, written by an MD member, of great help, and can find it here.
Slacker
E4/E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

DelilahSparkle wrote:I'm new to this forum and am wondering about the amount of information you are given in the 23andme health assessment (on sale through tomorrow for $150), as opposed to the Life Extension report (regular price: $150). Does the 23andme report break down E2, E3, and E4 (like the Life Extension test does), or does it simply tell you if you have one or more E4's? The sample report they show you on their website gives no indication. The Life Extension example report, on the other hand, shows a full breakdown. Thank you for any help you can give.
Delilahsparkle,
What a great user name! I used 23 & Me for my info. I did their Health report as well as ancestry but do not think it is necessary. Running the raw data from 23 & Me though Promethease only costs $5 and provides complete info on ApoE alleles as well as a lot of other information that might be relevant, like MTHFR SNPs .
You are right that 23 & Me only tells you how many copies of then ApoE4 allele you have, and does not identify apoE3 and ApoE2. I saw 23& Me tests on sale at target for $79 last week. Don’t known if that is still available.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health