Summary of Bredesen Rcommendations? Does One Exist/

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
JT91
Contributor
Contributor

Summary of Bredesen Rcommendations? Does One Exist/

Post by JT91 »

I got the Bredesen book as an audiobook, which probably was the wrong choice for a technical book like that with lots of lists, but I have intermittent vision issues and cannot always read physical books (thankfully, today is not one of those days). I am interested in getting a summary that lists his 36 factors that play into Alzheimer's (his 36 "holes in the roof"), how each is tested for, and what actions should be taken to address each one. I suppose something like this could be compiled from his book, but it may already exist in the paper book or someone may have put something like it together. Does anyone know if such a summary exists? I would like to show it to my doctor and tailor a testing and treatment plan around the areas that seem most pertinent to my health. I suppose if it doesn't exist I could compile it, which I would be happy to do and post here (provided it doesn't run into any copyright issues), but it would take a while as on many days I just can't see sufficiently well to do that.

Incidentally, I ran across this article that espouses the same principles as Bredesen's approach. It's pretty general and short, but the comments add a lot and are well worth reading: https://aeon.co/ideas/lifestyle-changes ... 6-69571321

The magazine that this comes from, Aeon, is quite good for thought-provoking articles on all types of things beyond health issues. You can sign up to get a free newsletter with links to these articles. Recommended for maintaining cognitive health!
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Summary of Bredesen Rcommendations? Does One Exist/

Post by ru442 »

Welcome JT,

The primer created by our resident Dr. Stavia covers many of the primary interventions, please start there: Primer

There is also a Wiki that covers Dr. Bredesen's protocol, have a look here:
Wiki-Bredsen

Most of us do not work formally with Dr. Bredesen, we have used some or all of the recommended interventions on our own for either personal or privacy reason, in addition to the insurance implications of having our APOE4 status in medical records. Please consider this by reviewing: Thinking-About-Testing

RU
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I "borrowed" this spreadsheet summary from the Bredesen Protocol Facebook site, could it help?

Also, since you seem to prefer audio to visual, do note that the wiki article on Dr Bredesen that RU422 pointed you to has a subheading near the bottom of the page called, Videos and interviews. This section contains a number of links where you can listen to interviews and presentations by Dr Bredesen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
sylvieJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sylvieJ »

Welcome JT

Looks like you got some good links from the other posts. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Sylvie
betterallthetime
Contributor
Contributor

Post by betterallthetime »

This is more than just a summary but it provides a lot of info. You just have to make sure that you pay attention because the person who made the page seems to have added some of his own opinions in with Bredesen's.
https://mybiohack.com/blog/dale-bredese ... imers-mend
I'm determined to be as healthy as I can, for as long as I can. And to live each moment that I have with kindness, grace and humor. I'm not obsessed with health but I'm obsessed with living each moment as kindly and lovingly as I can.
ChristinaA
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChristinaA »

Totally agree with betterallthetime, this link https://mybiohack.com/blog/dale-bredese ... imers-mend is a great summary of the Bredesen protocol.
Knowledge is power!
ScottVW
New User
New User

Post by ScottVW »

Hello,
My Name is Scott Vander Wielen, and I am a chiropractic Internist who practices functional medicine. I am finishing a food plan recommendation, complete with shopping list and foods to avoid, foods to include, and foods to have on a limited basis. It is starting point for anyone who learns that they are a carrier of the APOE4 gene. Since I started testing for the gene, I am astonished how many have one allele of the E4. Since any chronic condition is best treated through therapeutic lifestyle changes, the APOE4 is no different that way. It is very different in that the standard approach for chronic disease, for example fish oil, and nuts, can be extremely harmful when these lifestyle choices are made habitually with the intention of healing your brain. If anyone is interested , I will be happy to share my for plan recommendations with the group. Thank you.
ScottVW
Scott Vander Wielen, DC, DABCI
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome Scott!
Since any chronic condition is best treated through therapeutic lifestyle changes, the APOE4 is no different that way. It is very different in that the standard approach for chronic disease, for example fish oil, and nuts, can be extremely harmful when these lifestyle choices are made habitually with the intention of healing your brain.
I'll bite ;). Expand on the "harmfulness" of fish oil and nuts for E4 carriers...
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Welcome Scott!
If you haven't discovered it yet, our Primer written by physician member Stavia covers nutrition and lifestyle strategies that you may find useful. You can find it under the Getting Started Tab, An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies or viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418.
You can find information on the Bredesen Protocol that may be helpful to you in the Wiki https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Bredesen_Protocol
I look forward to seeing your finished product!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist