Newbie here.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ShannonB79
New User
New User

Newbie here.

Post by ShannonB79 »

My name is Shannon and I just uploaded my 23andme to
Promethease and discovered that I have one APOE-ε3 allele and one APOE-ε4. I am only 38 but have noticed a dramatic decline in my memory and mental function. I am very interested in learning more.

Shannon
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newbie here.

Post by Jan »

Hi, Shannon. I understand your concern, and am so glad you're ready to take action. You might want to start with our site's Primer:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 Also, Dr. Dale Bredesen's recent book - The End of Alzheimers: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline - addresses many areas that impact cognition. Would you want to say a little more about exactly what you've been experiencing, and what your overall situation is right now? (Diet, exercise, stress level, ...) You definitely have found a place for learning.

Jan
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Hello Shannon,
Welcome to the site. I also would like to point you to the PRIMER. It has been written by our member, a doctor. It contains comprehensive overview of the sciences of Apoe4 allele, and some helpful prevention, and management steps.
A great, and truly helpful read.
Your post grabbed my attention because of your age. I am also in my late 30s, and started experiences changes to my memory, in general brain function after having my first child. Using my curiosity, and love of learning I have discovered that my health problems are multifactorial, and I am slowly step by step solving the puzzles. Have you experience tremendous stress recently in your life? Tell us more about yourself.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
ShannonB79
New User
New User

Post by ShannonB79 »

Jan and Magda,

Thank you both for pointing me to Primer I read it last night and its very informative. To answer your question, I have been under some stress at work and that may have a lot to do with my slower brain functions. It's odd... Before I discovered I carried the APOE-3/4 (this week lol) I had some fear of developing Alzheimer's diseases and have been seeking direction from my doctors for the past couple of years. The reason for this fear is from a single conversation I had with my health care provider about 10 years ago.

I was expressing concerns because my birth mother suffers severally from paranoid schizophrenia. He told me that I was pretty much out woods as for as schizophrenia (based on my age) but said those who have a immediate family member with schizophrenia had much higher rate of developing dementia/Alzheimer's. I never confirmed or fact checked him, so I don't know if that's true are not. I only mentioned it because its ironic that the apoe 3/4 gene adds to my fear.

Two years ago I had a abnormal MRI. They discovered a small tumor (it was described as fatty ball). I had to have brain surgery to remove it, even though it was benign. it was pressing on my temporal bone and was told it could have been connected to my cognitive issues that led to the MRI in the first place. However, my issues have not improved. I also had genetic testing that says I am 31 times more likely to have celiac disease. I mention all this because I wonder if its all related. Anyway, I am rambling. lol.

Thanks again!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

My, what a lot you've had to deal with, Shannon. I don't know enough about your specific question to answer it directly, and hope that some more experienced members on the site might have more knowledge about it. I did plug "schizophrenia" into the site search engine (the three stacked squares to the right of your name at the top of each page) and there are only 37 entries. Here's a link to what came up: search.php?keywords=schizophrenia&terms ... mit=Search

There are lots of factors that go into cognition, and lots of things that can cause problems with it. How is your health overall, and how has it been generally throughout your life? How well do you handle stress, overall? Do you have recent medical tests, especially concerning thyroid and hormones? Do you know your vitamin D level?

Concerning celiac disease, do you feel that you have any of the symptoms of it? Have you ever done any food sensitivity testing, or done an elimination diet?

Jan
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.