Testing w/o Dr. Order??

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Boireann
Contributor
Contributor

Testing w/o Dr. Order??

Post by Boireann »

Just beginning my journey to a healthier life living with the knowledge of being 4/4. I have been pouring over all the information on this site and just finished reading "The End to Alzheimer's" by Dr. Bredesen. One of the 1st pieces of advice I received was to be careful about telling your HMO about your status. With that said how do I get the needed tests done??? I realize that getting these test results will help me determine the strategies I should focus on moving forward. Any suggestions are welcome.
~Boireann
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Testing w/o Dr. Order??

Post by Maryann »

Boireann wrote:Just beginning my journey to a healthier life living with the knowledge of being 4/4. I have been pouring over all the information on this site and just finished reading "The End to Alzheimer's" by Dr. Bredesen. One of the 1st pieces of advice I received was to be careful about telling your HMO about your status. With that said how do I get the needed tests done??? I realize that getting these test results will help me determine the strategies I should focus on moving forward. Any suggestions are welcome.
~Boireann
Hi Boireann,
How wonderful that you you are on the road to health! It is so very empowering! I would recommend finding a functional medicine doctor. Let them do a full history and physical on you. It will help to see the big picture, and they are the best at educating you on you! It is also nice to let them take the reigns for a while. I find they have a certain pace they work at which allows you both to work fairly systematically while avoiding potentially becoming overwhelmed. Its a marathon after all, not a sprint. And let's not forget how important it is to remain calm to keep cortisol levels down. You can concentrate on healthy lifestyle techniques which may include exercise, meditation, journaling etc and they can plan the labs, supplements and diets. I don't mean to say that you won't be involved, just that you will be supported.
Blessings to you,
Mary Ann
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Boireann wrote: With that said how do I get the needed tests done??? I realize that getting these test results will help me determine the strategies I should focus on moving forward.
Another option is to go to a testing facility such as Any Lab Test Now. No provider order is needed and insurance is not billed. You know in advance the cost of each test that you want. Some members choose to go in this direction.
Slacker
E4/E4
Boireann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Boireann »

Much thanks, looking into both options now.
Peace and love!
backwalker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Testing w/o Dr. Order??

Post by backwalker »

Boireann wrote:Just beginning my journey to a healthier life living with the knowledge of being 4/4. I have been pouring over all the information on this site and just finished reading "The End to Alzheimer's" by Dr. Bredesen. One of the 1st pieces of advice I received was to be careful about telling your HMO about your status. With that said how do I get the needed tests done??? I realize that getting these test results will help me determine the strategies I should focus on moving forward. Any suggestions are welcome.
~Boireann
I use my fx med doc for certain tests because he can read my results. But to complete my cognoscopy I will be using directlabs.com I can put the order in and get the tests at my Sonoran Quest lab down the street. I will be doing this for hormones, cholesterol, glucose, HA1c, etc. These are the tests my insurance doesn't cover.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." ~Art Williams
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Boireann wrote:One of the 1st pieces of advice I received was to be careful about telling your HMO about your status. With that said how do I get the needed tests done??? I realize that getting these test results will help me determine the strategies I should focus on moving forward. Any suggestions are welcome.
~Boireann
There's a new testing option at Helix through ADx Healthcare. The price is a bit high, but it includes genetic counseling and I think will keep it out of one's medical record. Please read the fine print. I haven't looked into this in detail.

The Helix part of the test is a run of your entire exome, which is the protein producing portion of your genome. Once you have the Helix test run, there are other add-ons at Helix.com you can purchase to explore it, some, many even many, of which are rather dubious. I've heard Helix is planning to offer raw data downloads of the exome, but it will likely be very expensive without a long wait for prices to come down.

Alzheimer's ApoE Test by ADx Healthcare
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.