Getting started on ketogenic diet

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Smokey
Contributor
Contributor

Getting started on ketogenic diet

Post by Smokey »

I have no idea how to start! How do I know how many carbs are in foods? How do I plan menus to achieve 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs? etc. etc. etc.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Getting started on ketogenic diet

Post by TheresaB »

Smokey wrote:I have no idea how to start! How do I know how many carbs are in foods? How do I plan menus to achieve 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs? etc. etc. etc.
It's okay to be confused. One person's keto is not the same as another person's keto. Levels of ketosis depends on what is trying to be accomplished.

Although the recipes on this website aren't all per Dr Bredesen's or Dr Gundry's dietary recommendations for ApoE4s, https://www.dietdoctor.com/ is really good for newbies, providing information, motivation and recipes.

How many carbs in food/how much are you eating? How much fat? How much protein? That's where https://cronometer.com/ can be of great help. Also I find a glucose/ketone meter to be a lot of help for feedback if the diet is "working" especially since the level of carbs that can be consumed do seem to be individual.

We also have a wiki on ketosis it discusses different ways of measuring glucose/ketones and touches on what kind of carbs, protein, fats to eat. https://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Ketosis_and_Ketogenic_Diet

Hopefully these things will get you started.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Smokey wrote:I have no idea how to start! How do I know how many carbs are in foods? How do I plan menus to achieve 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs? etc. etc. etc.
Welcome Smokey! So glad you found our website. It is so easy to be overwhelmed. I am not sure what your diet has been so far or your health history. But sometimes it's ok to start a little slower if this is all brand new.... You can't climb the mountain until you tie your hiking shoes :?
Maybe you'd like to tell us a bit about you in the Our Stories under the Board index. It may be more helpful for you and easier for us to advise you if we know where you are in the process.
Take care,
Mary Ann
lamb chops
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lamb chops »

I will chime in here. I do not know how to get to a place to tell "our stories". I can see others' Our Stories but how do you start one of your own?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

lamb chops wrote:I will chime in here. I do not know how to get to a place to tell "our stories". I can see others' Our Stories but how do you start one of your own?
Select "Forums" at the top of the website page. Then select the "Our Stories" forum. Hit "New Topic" in the upper left hand side of the page to start a new thread and share something about yourself. Hope this helps.
Slacker
E4/E4
lamb chops
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lamb chops »

Thanks for the info!
rianlees
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rianlees »

Hi Smokey,
I use an app called Senza, it is a little fiddly at first (what isn't?) but once you get the hang of it will count your carbs, fat and protein. If you can manage tracking your food on it for a couple of days it might help you get an understanding of what a keto meal looks (and tastes) like.

Also, what others have said before me...starting with small changes may lead to better outcomes in the long term.
Welcome to the community, we look forward to seeing more of your posts. I would like to remind you, your questions are always welcome.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Hi Smokey!
Your honesty is refreshing!! I remember when I first started reading posts on this forum and felt like I had been dropped into a foreign country without either a guidebook or a translator!
The best tip I got (and I don't remember who to give credit to) was to download the app Cronometer. It's free, it's easy to use, and it helped me adjust my eating to meet several goals. On my personal profile I can pick the kind of diet I want to aim for (ex. paleo, high fat/ketogenic and how strict or relaxed I want to be. More relaxed means more carbs on a ketogenic diet, for example. I can also set whether I want to gain, maintain, or lose weight.
It's easy to add food as you go throughout the day. If my breakfast is zucchini and mushrooms cooked in some extra virgin olive oil with one cage-free brown egg, I just have to "add food" and start typing "mushrooms" and up pop lots of choices for fresh, canned, and speciality mushrooms. I enter the amount I had, and it automatically shows that in my food "diary" for the day, with the nutrient breakdown of each food, and my running totals of fats, protein and carbs for the day. I can enter exercise "Walked the dog for 45 minutes" or "custom_ elliptical" and the calories expended add to my daily total "allowance."
And since I had no idea how much I was eating, I got this handy scale that got high marks on Amazon and doesn't take up much room. Etekcity Digital Food Scale and Multifunction Kitchen Weight Scale with Removable Bowl,
[And I am not employed or getting kickbacks from Jeff Bezos of Amazon for recommending that!]

As Stavia in the Primer and many others advise: it helps to start slow, with what feels do-able to you. I don't try to make every meal a 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carb feast (although I'm sure there are folks on here that can do that in their sleep). I have some meals that have fat from avocados, others from EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and lemon herb aioli on vegetables, some that have more protein than others. Using the Cronometer helps me to keep the day balanced without worrying about every morsel.

And since we're all learning from each other, please free free to let us know what else would help you right now, and what you think you're already doing pretty well on and might want to share. (Like having a dog that actually walks, rather than sniffs the bushes for 30 minutes!)
4/4 and still an optimist!
Smokey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Smokey »

TheresaB wrote:
It's okay to be confused. One person's keto is not the same as another person's keto. Levels of ketosis depends on what is trying to be accomplished.

Although the recipes on this website aren't all per Dr Bredesen's or Dr Gundry's dietary recommendations for ApoE4s, https://www.dietdoctor.com/ is really good for newbies, providing information, motivation and recipes.

How many carbs in food/how much are you eating? How much fat? How much protein? That's where https://cronometer.com/ can be of great help. Also I find a glucose/ketone meter to be a lot of help for feedback if the diet is "working" especially since the level of carbs that can be consumed do seem to be individual.

We also have a wiki on ketosis it discusses different ways of measuring glucose/ketones and touches on what kind of carbs, protein, fats to eat. https://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Ketosis_and_Ketogenic_Diet

Hopefully these things will get you started.
Smokey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Smokey »

Thank you TheresaB. Very helpful suggestions. I'm working on getting set up to start the diet mid May. The cronomoeter app is almost set upset up. I am quite a technophobe but I think I can make it work. Diet Doctor is also a great resource. I've been eating a gluten-free vegan diet for years (doctor's orders) so my challenge will be finding appropriate recipes. I am considering including pastured eggs though. I have yet to check into the last link you sent but I wanted to get back to you and thank you.