Getting started on ketogenic diet

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Mariannonthe lake
New User
New User

Re: Getting started on ketogenic diet

Post by Mariannonthe lake »

We need to get started as soon as practical on a ReCODE conforming diet that will cause WEIGHT GAIN. My wife is underweight and losing weight. At her last physical the Dr. told her to not lose any more weight, and she has. We are cutting out sugars and eating lots of vegetables.
We are beginners and need a list of all allowed foods, for shopping and eating out. Then we need recipes and menus.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Mariannonthe lake wrote:that will cause WEIGHT GAIN.
Lots of macadamia nuts and dishes made with macadamia nuts.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
liangjc46
New User
New User

Post by liangjc46 »

This is Jim Liang, just registered as a member of the ApoE4 forum. I am VERY new in using Bredesen protocol. I lived in Laguna Woods Village. Is there any meet up in this village? Any body knew? Also, is there any recipe regarding how to make ketogenic shake? Any input will be deeply appreciated by this new kid in the block.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

Mariannonthe lake wrote:We need to get started as soon as practical on a ReCODE conforming diet that will cause WEIGHT GAIN. My wife is underweight and losing weight. At her last physical the Dr. told her to not lose any more weight, and she has. We are cutting out sugars and eating lots of vegetables.
We are beginners and need a list of all allowed foods, for shopping and eating out. Then we need recipes and menus.
Welcome to the to the Apoe4.info community Marianonthelake! We’re glad you and your wife found the site and community! Kudos to you for pursuing a ReCODe conforming diet and looking for ways to proactively support your wife to increase her weight! On this site, you’ll be able to share your experiences, post questions, and learn with and from fellow members along similar journeys. I see TheresaB has already shared a tip about how macadamia nuts can help to maintain and increase weight gain!

If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great starting place to learn about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the ApoE4 allele, is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the ApoE4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. In addition, you may be interested in checking out the thread on
eating a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients and getting some inspiration and new ideas for meals from the Recipes from Members section. You can also share your story on the Our Stories thread and learn about fellow community members who are embarking on this journey as well.

Welcome to the forum and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions!
Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

liangjc46 wrote:This is Jim Liang, just registered as a member of the ApoE4 forum. I am VERY new in using Bredesen protocol. I lived in Laguna Woods Village. Is there any meet up in this village? Any body knew? Also, is there any recipe regarding how to make ketogenic shake? Any input will be deeply appreciated by this new kid in the block.
Hi Jim, welcome to the Apoe4.info community- it’s great to have you as a member!

Kudos to you for proactively pursuing your own brain health and embarking upon the Bredesen Protocol. If you haven’t checked it out already, the primer is a great place to learn about the resources available on this site. It was authored by a member physician who also carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. It is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the APOE-ε4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. Additionally, here’s a link to a thread that contains a recipe for a keto shake that was posted by fellow member 'the brain' that might help get you started experimenting with keto shakes and smoothies. If you're still looking for more resources, here's a link to a mostly plant based keto cookbook, “ketotarian” by Dr. Will Cole that contains smoothies as well as meal recipes.

You may also be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn about fellow community members and to share your own story with fellow members. This is an active community, so I’m betting you’ll hear soon from fellow members about any meet-up’s near you!

Welcome to the forum and this supportive community!
Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Mariannonthe lake
New User
New User

Post by Mariannonthe lake »

Thank you both for the answers. We have studied the primer.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Mariannonthe lake wrote:We need to get started as soon as practical on a ReCODE conforming diet that will cause WEIGHT GAIN. My wife is underweight and losing weight. At her last physical the Dr. told her to not lose any more weight, and she has. We are cutting out sugars and eating lots of vegetables.
Welcome to the forum Mariannonthe lake.

I am glad to hear you and your wife are in a process of cleaning up your diets out of excessive sugar and process food. It is crucial to point out that every new way of eating has to be done carefully especially when a specific health goal is being accomplished.
You mentioned that your wife is losing weight. Have you thought about tracking how much food is she taking in? A lot of members on our forum like using Cronometer. It is an application with helps to see how much calories, what type, and amount of micro and macro nutrients a person is consuming on daily bases.
I think it would be beneficial for your wife to see if she is getting sufficient amount of energy.
If not, you would be able to increase the most deficient macronutrients in the diet base on your wife's dietary goal.
https://cronometer.com/

From my experience, if a person decides to transition to a ketogenic way of eating (suggested in the ReCode) she/he simply do not eat enough fat. You mentioned that your wife eats a lot of vegetables , which is great! A simple way to create calorie and nutrients dense for example salad would be to add sufficient amount of good quality olive oil, sprinkle some nuts and seeds on the salad and add an avocado.

Be well,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline