Stunningly high LDL indication of APOE4

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
ajlondon
New User
New User

Stunningly high LDL indication of APOE4

Post by ajlondon »

I am normal weight (on the thin side)
In good shape, 45, and eat mostly healthy.
I have no health conditions, but during a physical my LDL and only my LDL were like 4X above normal.

They were so high the doctor had me retested with similar results.

With such a high LDL count, I am now worried I have the dreaded APOE 4 / 4 combo.

I guess my question is, does a high LDL count almost guarantee an APOE allele of 4?
Jena S
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Stunningly high LDL indication of APOE4

Post by Jena S »

ajlondon wrote:I am normal weight (on the thin side)
In good shape, 45, and eat mostly healthy.
I have no health conditions, but during a physical my LDL and only my LDL were like 4X above normal.

They were so high the doctor had me retested with similar results.

With such a high LDL count, I am now worried I have the dreaded APOE 4 / 4 combo.

I guess my question is, does a high LDL count almost guarantee an APOE allele of 4?
Welcome, ajlondon!! It's great to have you here in our group. Here, you will find a variety of topics, including cholesterol, based on research, personal experience, and information provided by MDs. I urge you to check out the Primer viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 to get your started! This was written by Stavia who is an MD and can answer more about your question regarding your high LDL. Please do not hesitate to reach out to the group! We are so glad you're here:)
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Stunningly high LDL indication of APOE4

Post by slacker »

Hello ajlondon;

There are many reasons why people can have elevated LDL cholesterol; not all are ApoE4 related. Another possibility is a condition called Familial Hypercholesterolemia. You can read more about this condition here.

It sounds like you do not yet know your ApoE status. You might want to read this before being tested to better understand pros and cons of genetic testing.

What led you to our website?
Slacker
E4/E4