First bit of bloodwork — any advice appreciated

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

First bit of bloodwork — any advice appreciated

Post by Alexis »

Apologies if this is inappropriate, but I’d really appreciate any insight into the bloodwork results I recieved today. I’m more than a little anxious about them.

As I’m in the UK, the NHS, while amazing in many ways, doesn’t offer detailed discussions with your family doctor about such things. Not unless you really pester them, anyway.
6DABEE60-4D6A-4B43-847C-A592D6DE4850.jpeg
I am incredibly ignorant when it comes to interpreting these results, to be honest.

1) in the context of apoe 4, is there anything especially troubling about the results?

2) what stragtegies would you undertake in light of the results?

Many thanks.

-Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: First bit of bloodwork — any advice appreciated

Post by Fiver »

Hi Alex. Just my thoughts here. I see the common pattern of LDL and non-HDL lipid particles that are a bit high. But by itself it doesn't tell you too much. It would help to know something about blood sugar/insulin and inflammation, for starters. And put this in context with your health history. Alone, this would prompt me to talk with my doctor and think about diet and exercise to improve the lipid numbers. Sorry, not very exciting. But I don't think you need to be anxious about it. It's not an unusual profile and can be fixed. You just need to decide what to try first - lifestyle, diet, and/or medication.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Probably too young for meds. When I get a chance I will try to convert UK units to US units so I have a better understanding of what I'm looking at. And remember the Primer - insulin resistance trumps lipids.

Remind me Alexis - strong family history of heart attacks or strokes?
Slacker
E4/E4
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alexis »

slacker wrote:Probably too young for meds. When I get a chance I will try to convert UK units to US units so I have a better understanding of what I'm looking at. And remember the Primer - insulin resistance trumps lipids.

Remind me Alexis - strong family history of heart attacks or strokes?
Well, my dad narrowly missed a heart attack at 50 — had a stent put in, thankfully. No one else, though.

My brother-in-law is a Doctor (an endocrinologist), and he was quite blasé about the results. Then again, he’s pretty blasé about everything!

I guess I’ll have to find a private practice that tests for insulin resistance?

Many thanks.
Last edited by Alexis on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alexis »

Tom wrote:Hi Alex. Just my thoughts here. I see the common pattern of LDL and non-HDL lipid particles that are a bit high. But by itself it doesn't tell you too much. It would help to know something about blood sugar/insulin and inflammation, for starters. And put this in context with your health history. Alone, this would prompt me to talk with my doctor and think about diet and exercise to improve the lipid numbers. Sorry, not very exciting. But I don't think you need to be anxious about it. It's not an unusual profile and can be fixed. You just need to decide what to try first - lifestyle, diet, and/or medication.
Thanks Tom.
The 2 lifestyle factors I’m changing are sleep (more of it), and diet: Mediterranean instead of the high carb and super high protein one I was on. I ate a lot of rubbish as well: refined carb binges quite common...
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Alexis, at your age and in the context of you not having heart disease these lipids are not concerning. In NZ our LDLnormal range is up to 3.5mmol/l. Remember ranges are arbitrary. Keep your insulin resistance down! That is where your best efforts should go.
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alexis »

Stavia wrote:Alexis, at your age and in the context of you not having heart disease these lipids are not concerning. In NZ our LDLnormal range is up to 3.5mmol/l. Remember ranges are arbitrary. Keep your insulin resistance down! That is where your best efforts should go.
Thanks, Stavia; I feel reassured! Your point is well taken — I’ve read your wonderful primer and learnt tons from it.

I suppose the red font and exclamation marks on the results form are what ignited my anxiety.

Now to get insulin sensitivity tested, I guess.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Hi Alexis, I'm in the UK so NHS also. Your GP should be able to do a HB1AC test for blood sugars for you. They do one as part of the NHS health check anyway at age 40 plus.
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alexis »

Orangeblossom wrote:Hi Alexis, I'm in the UK so NHS also. Your GP should be able to do a HB1AC test for blood sugars for you. They do one as part of the NHS health check anyway at age 40 plus.

Thank you! Will this test tell me all that I need to know about my insulin sensitivity?
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

As I understand it, it is a measure of glycated haemoglobin, (so a blood sugar measure) based in the last three months. It is used to test for diabetes. There is more info in the Primer as well.

If the GP won't do it, I noticed a service online for basic blood tests like this with a discount for the first one. I think it was called Thriva. I haven't tried it though.https://thriva.co/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2dvWBR ... qMQAvD_BwE