The ADA gene?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

The ADA gene?

Post by Alexis »

76A12E41-D9E6-44A2-BF15-D0C9D546A2E7.png
Amidst the rather rubbish news I learnt from my 23andme data, there was also this: (attached).

Does anyone know whether this polymorphism is good or bad in the context of ApoE4?

I surmised that being a deep sleeper (which I am) might be beneficial, given the ApoE4’s need to optimise sleep.

I’ve always been someone who feels good after 6.5 hours — maybe the deep sleeping helps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: The ADA gene?

Post by NF52 »

Hi Alexis,
I'm no expert on adenosine and the quality of sleep, but did take a look at the article referenced on 23 & me. It seems, to my layperson's eye, that the knowledge of how this one allele could interact with Apoe 4 and the quality of sleep is still emerging.
Here's a link to the full text (available in the upper right-hand part of the screen) of an article that suggests just how complicated is the relationships of sleep quality and quantity, and the neural processes of clearing toxins from the brain (including the recently discovered glymphatic system). The article recommends long-term studies of the relationships among all these factors to determine what the protective mechanisms and interventions could be. Sound like a great idea--if only someone had a ton of money!

Candidate mechanisms underlying the association between sleep-wake disruptions and Alzheimer's disease
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1087079216000186
4/4 and still an optimist!
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alexis »

NF52 wrote:Hi Alexis,
I'm no expert on adenosine and the quality of sleep, but did take a look at the article referenced on 23 & me. It seems, to my layperson's eye, that the knowledge of how this one allele could interact with Apoe 4 and the quality of sleep is still emerging.
Here's a link to the full text (available in the upper right-hand part of the screen) of an article that suggests just how complicated is the relationships of sleep quality and quantity, and the neural processes of clearing toxins from the brain (including the recently discovered glymphatic system). The article recommends long-term studies of the relationships among all these factors to determine what the protective mechanisms and interventions could be. Sound like a great idea--if only someone had a ton of money!

Candidate mechanisms underlying the association between sleep-wake disruptions and Alzheimer's disease
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1087079216000186
Hi!

Thank you! I’ll check out the article :)
AnnK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnnK »

Hi Alexis:

I'm also no expert on adenosine, but I did remember seeing a podcast by Dr. Chris Masterjohn discussing the ADA gene and coffee consumption. For reference, Dr. Masterjohn has one APOe4 allele (he did not disclose what the non-APOe4 allele was). Here's the link --

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/02/ ... save-life/

Take care and thanks for the stimulating discussion!
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alexis »

AnnK wrote:Hi Alexis:

I'm also no expert on adenosine, but I did remember seeing a podcast by Dr. Chris Masterjohn discussing the ADA gene and coffee consumption. For reference, Dr. Masterjohn has one APOe4 allele (he did not disclose what the non-APOe4 allele was). Here's the link --

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/02/ ... save-life/

Take care and thanks for the stimulating discussion!
Great stuff — many thanks!
(Just about to drink my first cup of coffee of the day :) )