Ketometer and strips

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
thill4455@msn.com
New User
New User

Ketometer and strips

Post by thill4455@msn.com »

Hello all,

Dr. Bredeson's book referenced a Canadian site to buy blood glucose test strips at a lower price than Abbott, which shows $89.99. I need a ketometer and strips. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Tess
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Ketometer and strips

Post by NF52 »

thill4455@msn.com wrote:Dr. Bredeson's book referenced a Canadian site to buy blood glucose test strips at a lower price than Abbott, which shows $89.99. I need a ketometer and strips. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Hi Tess,
Welcome to this site. My suggestion would be to Google "Blood Glucose Test Strips Canada". I just did and a bunch of Canadian companies showed up. You could do the same with a ketometer, I assume. Other members may offer specific companies they've used. Good luck with our neighbors to the North!

FYI, if you would like to change your user name to something other than your email, just send a quick email to:tech-team@apoe4.info and give them the user name you'd like to have, and they can change this and any future posts.

Hope you''ll find some useful info on the Forum. You may want to check out the Welcome page and the PRIMER.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maryann »

Dr. Bredeson's book referenced a Canadian site to buy blood glucose test strips at a lower price than Abbott, which shows $89.99. I need a ketometer and strips. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Hi Tess,
I love that name! Thanks for chiming in with that helpful information about test strips. I am glad you found the site! I'm sure you'll get lots of great ideas here. Bredesen's book is a great place to start. It can all be pretty overwhelming, so take it slow and be extremely kind to yourself.
We'd love to know more about you and help in any way possible. Please consider introducing yourself in the "our Stories " section. (find it by clicking board index above and to left)
It's always nice to learn you are no alone.
Mary Ann
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Assume you are worried about ketone strips. Glucose strips can be had cheaply on eBay (I have diabetic friends who say the Contour Next is a good mix of accuracy and lower strip cost - meters are normally relatively cheap it is the ongoing strip cost that is the issue). Assuming ketone, I own both the Abbott Precision Xtra meter and the Keto-Mojo meter. Abbott could care less about our market. The cost of the strips is the issue. You can get the Abbott strips off eBay from Australia. However I now prefer the Keto-Mojo. This company was started by a low carber to compete with Abbott. He sells the Keto strips for $0.99/each and the glucose for $0.29. I'm confident in the accuracy and bought one for a family member with a glioblastoma (where ketosis is not optional, in my opinion). Here is their site https://keto-mojo.com/

If you decide you want the Abbott machine strips from Aus., search on FREESTYLE OPTIUM strips on eBay. Also make sure you consider shipping costs as some are quite high. Last time I ordered, last summer, I think I could get the cost down to around $1.30/strip if I ordered 100 or more.
Tincup
E3,E4
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Hi Tess,
Welcome to the forum.
A while back I read Tincup's post on "Keto - Mojo" meter. I bought the meter and I am super happy with it. The strips are not expensive and their customer service is super friendly and helpful.

I hope this helps.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Tess,
Like Tincup and Magda I'd also like to draw your attention to the Keto-Mojo tester. I thought I'd note that it came out a few months after Dr Bredesen's book was published, in case you have any hesitancy because it wasn't mentioned in his book. I have it, I've been happy with it.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Brenita
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Brenita »

I want to get the Keto-Mojo meter. How painful is the test? If it hurts too much, I will probably stop using it. Do you have to draw blood twice, once for ketones and again for glucose?
Brenita
APoe 3/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Brenita wrote:I want to get the Keto-Mojo meter. How painful is the test? If it hurts too much, I will probably stop using it. Do you have to draw blood twice, once for ketones and again for glucose?
Pain is not an issue for me. The kit includes this spring loaded device that you set and when you push the button, quickly pricks the finger. Nothing like sticking yourself with a sewing needle, much easier, simpler and less painful. It helps to shake your hand before doing this so you have a reservoir of blood in the fingertip. You can adjust the setting for how deep the pinprick goes. The kit comes with some pins (not sure that's the correct nomenclature) but you can buy replacements for real cheap at Walmart, they come in three thicknesses. You're supposed to replace the pin after use, but I use the same pin over and over.

I prick the finger once and have two strips ready. I take a reading of ketones, then squeeze the finger for a little more blood and take a reading for glucose. After that, I never notice where I pricked my finger. Just not an issue FOR ME.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I read in a book called Blood Sugar 101 about helping testing be more pain free. I went through a period of time where I was testing A LOT to see how food was affecting my glucose readings and did find that I developed calluses on my fingertips and that some fingers gave more blood than others. I also found that I needed to be hydrated in order to get a good drop of blood and that I had the best results when I held the lancet firmly (pushed) against my skin. Yes, squeezing my finger helped too. My best testing spots turned out to be the ends of my fingers kind of close to the nail. No, I didn't like doing this at first but became so fascinated by the results that the poke didn't bother me any more.

"The least painful spot to do a blood sugar test is on the side of your finger. Do not test on the pad of the finger. That hurts! Many people find that the pinkie finger has the best blood flow, but the sides of any except the pointer finger are also good choices. Be sure to try other areas to figure out what works best for you.

Be sure to adjust the depth of your lancet to the shallowest depth before you test. If it is too shallow to draw blood, adjust it up a notch and try it again. As you get calluses on your fingers from testing, you may have to adjust the depth again. Once calluses develop, your tests should also become less painful."
Last edited by CarrieS on Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

CarrieS wrote:
"The least painful spot to do a blood sugar test is on the side of your finger. Do not test on the pad of the finger. That hurts! Many people find that the pinkie finger has the best blood flow, but the sides of any except the pointer finger are also good choices. Be sure to try other areas to figure out what works best for you. "
I am also a fan of Keto-Mojo, both for the price of the strips and the excellent customer service. CarrieS, I appreciate this info on where to test. Have never yet tried the side of a finger; I have been going into the pad. And while I wouldn’t say it hurts, exactly, testing in a less sensitive spot makes sense if I can get the blood droplet I need.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health