Hello! New to the site

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Lwheat
New User
New User

Hello! New to the site

Post by Lwheat »

Hello, everyone! I just came across this site/forum. I am a 32 year old female and I am 4/4. I'm very interested in finding out as much information as I can. My grandmother had Parkinson's and my grandfather had AD. I am a sugar addict! So hoping I can find ways to change that and live a little healthier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Cas
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello! New to the site

Post by Cas »

Hi Lwheat,

Welcome to the site and thank you for introducing yourself. As I’m sure you will have seen already there is so much information here and support!

A great starting place is to have a read through our primer. This was produced by one of our members and has some great detail in looking at a variety of topics. It can be accessed here :

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418&start=10#p15694

The sugar is a tough one isn’t it - because it’s literally everywhere but there are lots of ways to help cut down if that’s what you decide you want to do.

Take care
Catherine
Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Student
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Hello! New to the site

Post by floramaria »

Lwheat wrote:Hello, everyone! I just came across this site/forum. I am a 32 year old female and I am 4/4. I'm very interested in finding out as much information as I can. My grandmother had Parkinson's and my grandfather had AD. I am a sugar addict! So hoping I can find ways to change that and live a little healthier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Greetings, Lwheat. I add my welcome to Catherine's and echo her in suggesting that you begin by reading the Primer. That will be a great guide in getting you started towards the healthier lifestyle factors that are especially important for reducing risk in those of us who carry the ApoE4 allele. You'll learn that genetics are just one component, and there is much that you can do, by understanding the ApoE4 allele, to mitigate any health impact, especially since you are starting still young. Addressing your sugar addiction is likely to be a very good place to start, which you seem to already know.
I am sorry to hear about your grandmother and grandfather. So little was known in the past about preventing and reversing neurodegenerative diseases. We are fortunate to have breakthroughs in understanding the drivers of these complex diseases that can help us.
As specific questions come up for you, clicking on the magnifying glass at the top of the page will allow you to search for previous posts in an area of interest. If you don't find the answers you are looking for, please post your questions. We are all learning together and sharing our experience and knowledge. You will find a warm and supportive community here, ready to help. We are glad you are joining us.
You'll be learning a lot and I encourage you to keep in mind that at your age you have time to take in all this new information slowly and make changes step by step in ways that really work for you and that you can sustain.
Best wishes, floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health