Ketone and Glucose Meter Testing

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Brenita
Contributor
Contributor

Ketone and Glucose Meter Testing

Post by Brenita »

I purchased the KetoMojo Ketone and glucose meter.

Are there instructions on this site how/when to test for ketone and glucose that work best for the ReCode protocol? How do you know you are no longer insulin resistant? I have used the meter a few times, but my results seem to vary. It may be the time of day, time fasting or other factors that are giving me odd numbers.

Any help is welcomed. Thanks.
Brenita
Brenita
APoe 3/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ketone and Glucose Meter Testing

Post by slacker »

Brenita;

Could you give more information about your glucose and ketone levels, and how they vary?

In the meantime, there is a wealth of information on our website about ketone and glucose testing, as well as insulin resistance (IR); it is not specific for ReCode but general advice.
Please review Stavia's primer and the our wiki for IR. The wiki is also a good initial source of information for ketone testing. You can find our wiki link icon in the tool bar right upper corner of the website.
Slacker
E4/E4
Brenita
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Brenita »

Slacker, Here are my results
11:30a - glucose 4.4 mmol/l Ketone 1.3
AFter this reading I thought I was on track.
Now my glucose is never below 5.6
I never eat before noon, so these readings are while fasting overnight. The difference may be that the first reading of 4.4 was at 11:30 am and the others were at 5:00 am. Does this mean that I need to eat my last meal earlier in the previous day?
Brenita
APoe 3/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Brenita wrote:Slacker, Here are my results
11:30a - glucose 4.4 mmol/l Ketone 1.3
AFter this reading I thought I was on track.
Now my glucose is never below 5.6
I never eat before noon, so these readings are while fasting overnight. The difference may be that the first reading of 4.4 was at 11:30 am and the others were at 5:00 am. Does this mean that I need to eat my last meal earlier in the previous day?
Your ketone level is very nice!
The longer the fast, typically the less the glucose level. (For our US members, 4.4 mmol/l = 79 mg/dL, and 5.6 mmol/l = 101 mg/dL. I used Dr Google's formula of multiply by 18) A fast of 10-12 hours is suggested in the US for fasting blood work, including glucose. Fasting glucose is just one marker of insulin resistance. Our primer also mentions HgbA1C, triglycerides, and fasting insulin. With the exception of trigs, these tests may be more difficult to get done where you live.

Bear in mind that it can take a while for fasting glucose to register the benefit of your nutritional and exercise changes. Are your macronutrient percentages (carbs/fat/protein) appropriate for you as an individual? Are you reducing starchy carbohydrates? Are certain carbs spiking your glucose more than expected? Some of our members like to check glucose 2 hours after eating to see the effect of their carb intake. This level of detail may be more than you need at this time.

The only benefit I see in increasing your overnight fast is to increase your ketones, and I'm not sure this is needed for you at this time.

Slowly slowly, one step at a time...
Slacker
E4/E4