"Tricks and tips" for getting the most from the ApoE4 website

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

"Tricks and tips" for getting the most from the ApoE4 website

Post by slacker »

There is now a wiki entry called How-to get the most out of the ApoE4.info website . It’s a help desk of sorts for both new and experienced members. The “how-to” entry covers topics such as how to post, how and why to use quotes in responding to another member’s post, and how to search on topics of interest. Hope this tutorial helps you “get the most” of your time on the website!
Slacker
E4/E4
Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Re: "Tricks and tips" for getting the most from the ApoE4 website

Post by Emily C »

Hi,

Just want to say thank you for pointing the way to this information. I am new to the community and it is so nice to see this post as a way to get started learning how to participate and communicate with everyone.

Thank you!

Emily
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

efcole wrote:Hi,
Just want to say thank you for pointing the way to this information. I am new to the community and it is so nice to see this post as a way to get started learning how to participate and communicate with everyone. Thank you!
Emily
Welcome, Emily!

As one of the folks who put the "tricks and tips" together, let me just say that we're thrilled that it will help you get started. Trial and error is well and good when you're trying to put furniture together, but not when you want to find information that will help you feel better!!

The forum can be a little overwhelming at times; even "slacker", a Moderator and co-author of the Tricks and Tips, has described the rush of information as being like drinking from a firehose. So take your time, check out the PRIMER and WELCOME, and feel free to share questions, experiences and your own wisdom. Lots of people post an intro to themselves on Our Stories. But you can browse or just jump in anywhere.
We're a community made stronger by those who join us.
Hugs from Virginia.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Kkmooney
New User
New User

Post by Kkmooney »

Hi! I wanted to introduce myself. My husband and myself have been on a health journey for about 3 years. We have removed our amalgam fillings, gone through a liver detox, take multiple supplements, work out 4-5 days a week, have given up sugar and grains, eat mostly vegetables, grass fed beef and organic chicken. We live in a rural area about 100 miles outside Dallas, TX. I have done a great deal of research about staying healthy and reducing cognitive decline. We are in our 60's and have some mild symptoms. I was hoping to find a practitioner in the Dallas, or Tyler area that could help us on our journey. We take periodic blood tests through Life Extension and use their health coaches and supplements. I'm so glad to find this forum and know I will be spending many hours looking through all the posts and information.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi Kkmooney and welcome!

I can see your health journey has been a comprehensive one. Both you and your husband should feel very proud of all that you've accomplished in just 3 years!

Regarding finding a practitioner in the Dallas or Tyler area, you may want to keep an eye on our site Wiki which, in addition to wide -ranging discussions on topics of interest to our members, includes a section listing ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners. I took a quick look and didn't notice any in your immediate area, but the list is updated regularly. Some of our members have found that their existing physicians have been willing to provide them the support needed to varying degrees. Others have found a Functional Medicine doctor to work with. If you're interested in exploring that option, here is the link for the Institute of Functional Medicine website https://www.ifm.org/find-a-practitioner/. On the website you can select "Find a Practitioner" and then go to the Advanced Search Options.

Since you've been doing considerable research, you may have already had the opportunity to read our site Primer. If not, we highly recommend it as a great resource regardless of one's ApoE status. To help new members navigate our site more easily, we also have a Wiki How-To-Guide that you may find helpful.

Kk, please feel free to engage the group with questions at any point along the way. Great to have you here with us!
warmly, Lucy
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

Welcome to the group Kkmooney! It sounds like you and your husband are already making great strides toward preserving your cognitive health! This group is here to help support you in your quest. I'd like to echo Lucy's recommendation to review the information in the Primer and How-To Guide. These will give you a leg up in navigating the site and finding the information you want. I think that you'll find that the site is full of great people who want to help.
Please feel free to engage with the group and when you are ready you can add your story to the Our Stories section.
- Steve
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
eleath
New User
New User

Post by eleath »

Looking for a good doctor in my area (Louisville, KY.) that can coach me in getting a Cognoscopy and getting started with a RECODE protocol.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

eleath wrote:Looking for a good doctor in my area (Louisville, KY.) that can coach me in getting a Cognoscopy and getting started with a RECODE protocol.
A warm welcome, eleath!

We're glad you found this forum and hope we can be a source of both information and support to you. Here is a link to our Wiki page that shows several different methods for finding a doctor who can help with a "cognoscopy": Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner. While "cognoscopy" is Dr. Bredesen's term for a check-up for our brains (with a clever play on getting a colonoscopy when we turn 50!) the link gives you several options for finding medical practitioners who may either have been trained in the Bredesen Protocol through the Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM) or who may have advanced training in their own specialties and offer a similar perspective.

Depending on your age and finances, it may also be possible to have your primary care physician order some of the recommended tests, and to have an extensive cognitive, motor, memory, daily living and blood tests through a university-affiliated Memory Disorders Clinic if you have concerns. We recently had a healthy 84 year old new ApoE 4/4 member whose Medicare Advantage program covers that in full without a referral from her primary care doctor.

We also have members who have shared their recommendations on this wiki: ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners I don't see anyone in Louisville on that list, but if you find someone who you would recommend to others, we hope you'll consider adding their name to the list on Practitioner Reviews

Some of our members take a Do-It-Yourself approach to getting testing done, and then share it with their own doctors, if they feel comfortable with that, or just jump in and try to adjust their diets, supplements and exercise based on lab results. (If so, we always advise: start slow with one or two things at a time!) Here is a link to our Wiki entry on Biomarkers that offers an extensive list of tests that people may want, along with an explanation of what the tests measure. A subset of that section offers a shared Google Doc spreadsheet that may help you to create your own private spreadsheet, with either Google Docs or importing the info into an Excel spreadsheet: ApoE4_Test_Results

Here is our Wiki entry on Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options that may help sort out the confusing menu of options.

In case you've missed these sections, the Welcome page is a great start to learn more about this website. We encourage new users to check out our PRIMER, which has many helpful topics for people beginning to learn about ApoE4 and those ready to dive in to the deep end. Stavia, the doctor who wrote the Primer, discusses how to prioritize which tests to start with, which is a great option if you're looking for how to start with a few things to save money.

Also helpful for navigating the site is our "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. We look forward to hearing more from you as you learn more from us, and from your health care partners!
4/4 and still an optimist!
CoachJD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachJD »

Welcome, eleath! You've found a warm and welcoming community of people committed to helping with information and inspiration, as you can see from the previous response from NF52! If you cannot locate a physician in your area who is trained in the ReCODE protocol, have you considered working remotely with one? You can register on the AHNP website, then you'll have access to a list of practitioners, and then you should be able to find one who can work with you and your primary doctor and local labs to oversee the lab tests and evaluation. Just a thought! Let us know how you decide to proceed, and check back and let us know how you're doing.
Joan Dickason, FMCHC
National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches, CertificationPending Fall 2018
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional " Haruki Muraka
nklinghoffer0807
New User
New User

Post by nklinghoffer0807 »

I am new to This group. I have seen Bredesen trained doctor in the past . I had the Great Plains test for mold and I was told to order Petri dishes abs check my house? The Mycophenolic acid came back at 147.93 I am very confused. Dr Bredesen told me to re read the first book on the molds but I am still confused?