Apoe 4 - varying test results?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
draddie
Contributor
Contributor

Apoe 4 - varying test results?

Post by draddie »

Hi there,
I just had my genetic testing done my doctor through My Genetex testing which came back with me at Apoe 3/4.
Out of curiosity, I ran my ancestry.com tests I had done a couple years ago through Promethease- figuring if I found out where it was on me, I could look at my parent's testing. However, for the rs429358 gene, I appear to be TT on that testing. In my research, this doesn't seem to correlate to a Apoe4 reading at all. Now, I don't assume ancestry.com's generic testing to be as valid as the testing thru my doctor's office and lab, but I'm wondering why it could show a difference?

I've been trying to eat a keto life style, but the apoe4 result, definitely makes me to want to cut back on the fats more and debate about adding things such as beans, lentils, decreasing animal meats, etc.

Anyone have any insight on what is being tested specifically? I'd appreciate it- it's all fascinating!
draddie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Apoe 4 - varying test results?

Post by draddie »

Never mind. I found out ancestry always defaults to a TT rsid genotype so I trust the real doctors results now
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

draddie wrote:
I've been trying to eat a keto life style, but the apoe4 result, definitely makes me to want to cut back on the fats more and debate about adding things such as beans, lentils, decreasing animal meats, etc.
Welcome draddie;

Isn't it great when you can answer your own question?

However, I would ask you to rethink your idea about cutting back on fats. Many of us have achieved (or are working to achieve) nutritional ketosis to give the brain an additional fuel, and a higher percentage of fat intake is needed to reach ketosis. A great place to start is with our Primer, written by one of our MD members. You may also want to take a deeper dive on ketosis in our wiki.
Slacker
E4/E4
draddie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by draddie »

I comepletely understand benefits of keto sis but if the gene makes us have more issues with fat metabolism, it makes sense to not overdo it!? My doc reccomended less fat than traditional keto and still low carb but a more vegetarian lifestyle Mediterranean diet like. I struggle with glycemic index vs saturated fat values on which is more important for long term health and weight loss! Off to reread the primer again but I still see lots of varying information and limited too!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

draddie wrote:I comepletely understand benefits of keto sis but if the gene makes us have more issues with fat metabolism, it makes sense to not overdo it!? My doc reccomended less fat than traditional keto and still low carb but a more vegetarian lifestyle Mediterranean diet like. I struggle with glycemic index vs saturated fat values on which is more important for long term health and weight loss! Off to reread the primer again but I still see lots of varying information and limited too!
Welcome, draddie!
Great that you are about to dive into the Primer. It is full of great information. Once you have read it you will have an even better understanding of the interaction of the ApoE4 allele and ketosis. Take your time. It is a lot to digest.
You have already been directed to the Primer and to the Wiki which, in addition to all the other topics it covers, has a section of how to use this website.
The Search Option is another useful tool; use it for finding previous posts on a topic of interest to you. Access it by clicking the magnifying glass to the left of your name. For example, I just entered “ketosis” and got over 1700 entries! (You can refine the search.)
We are happy that you have joined us here, and look forward to your participation. If you feel like telling us more about yourself, “Our Stories” is a great place to post an introduction.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health