Blastocystis & Dientamoeba

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Shine
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Blastocystis & Dientamoeba

Post by Shine »

Julie G wrote:Hi and welcome, Sharon! My GI issues are slightly different, but we're basically facing the same dilemma..
Hi Julie

Thanks for providing me with the study. I sent it to my FMD and he really appreciated it.

Given your situation I thought I would share that He has said that with antibiotics it is best to take a cautious approach. In regards to myself he has recommended that at this early stage on the protocol it is probably best to try “fixing everything else” before treating the parasites. If no improvement then I can take the antibiotics to get rid of the parasites.

Hope that helps with your dilemma....
ellenjanemccallum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ellenjanemccallum »

HI Sharon,
A few years ago (before knowing my status and living on a heavy grain + legumes diet) I also tested for Blastocystis, I was prescribed a no grain diet along with metronidazole and grapefruit seed extract. ( A lovely, GP Andrew Strigner, no longer with us but his book 'the food fallacy' is beautiful!)

I read at the time about how this particular parasite loves grains so perhaps as ever changing what we eat is key!

My gut issues are more related to motility but I had very poor energy at the time of diagnosis and that cleared up massively with the change of diet etc.

Good luck!
Ellen
Gravitas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gravitas »

I had Blastocystis Hominis for 9 years.

And I cured myself.

Here's now:

- Ever since a trip to Brazil when I was 25, I had issues with my gut. It just hurt most of the time. At one point, it was hurting so much, and my quality of life was so bad, that I seriously considered suicide.
- 9 years into the experience, I had Faecal PCR-DNA testing. Essentially, you put a sample of your fecal matter into a vial with some preservative fluid. Send it off to the lab, they analyze all DNA in the sample, and match it against a digital library of known bacteria, yeasts, amoebas, worms and other parasites. I know it sounds a bit gross, but it's all in the name of good science. It flagged up Blastocystis Hominis.
- Once I knew what it was, I did a lot of searching through PubMed. I tried a lot of stuff. Jasmine tea seemed to knock it back, but didn't cure it. Sugar seemed to feed it. Alcohol made it worse. Bread made me very sick. And from what I have read, even the most potent antibiotics have trouble eradicating it. And you really do not want to go down the antibiotic route. It only works half the time, and the list of horrific side effects are enough to make any educated person very, very cautious. It really is a b***** to get rid of.
- The thing that cured me was Papaya seeds. They contain Papain, which has a potent anti-amoebic effect, and is known to be effective against Blastocystis [1] [2]. Papain is an enzyme, it works by dissolving the protective coating that protects any gut hitchhikers. Papaya seeds are also very safe compared to the antibiotic route.
- The PCR test did flag up an "Unknown", i.e. some DNA that that they didn't have in their library. This can happen if you eat raw foods such as Suchi, with a fish that is not in their database. It's entirely possible that something *other* than Blastocystitis Hominis was causing my symptoms, and that the Papaya seeds killed that. Its unlikely, and I guess I will never know. All I know is that I really suffered for 9 years, and after a month of Papaya seeds I got my life back.

Recipe for cure:

- Buy a ripe Papaya at the local supermarket. Discard the fruit (its full of sugar).
- Scoop the black seeds out. Grind them up in a mortar and pestle. I started very slow, and worked my way up to two tablespoons worth of Papaya's worth of seeds every day, either with meals or without.
- It did make me a bit sick if I took too much, especially on an empty stomach. If I felt sick, I backed off the next day. I pretty much took as much as I could tolerate each day, but no more than one Papaya's worth of seeds each day for the last two weeks.
- In this particular case, sugar, alcohol and grains feeds the parasites (they have to eat, just like you do). To be on the safe side, avoid anything with those ingredients. The aim is to starve it, then knock it for a six with Papain.
- I did this solidly for 6 weeks, then stopped. After I got the Papaya seeds out of my system (which took a few days), I felt amazing, full of energy and very, very happy. I wish I had ordered another PCR test, just to prove that I was clean. But I felt so good that I didn't feel the need (and those tests are expensive). Ever since then, I've been able to eat and drink whatever I want (within reason), and I wouldn't feel sick. I got my life back.

If you want to ask me any more questions, email me at shane dot tolmie at gmail.com. After what I've been through, I am more than happy to help.

Update 11th November, 2018

Was contacted by a guy named Dave. He has almost exactly the same list of symptoms compared to what I had, and the same PCR result. He will be trying this method over the next 4 weeks, and he is planning to get another PCR test after completion. We will be keeping in touch. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes for him.

Update 28th November, 2018

Looking back over my notes, I actually took Papaya seeds for 6 weeks (not 4). Not sure the full 6 weeks was necessary. I drank copious quantities of Jasmine tea the entire time. Not sure if this was necessary, but it seemed to settle my stomach. The final day, I fasted for one day then ate around about 6 tablespoons of seeds. Felt very queasy, but once I got the papaya seeds out of my system after about 3 days, I was feeling great. Also if you're on Warfarin, check out the warning here: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingre ... 488/papaya

Update 14th October 2023

I have had about 20 people contact me to chat about this post. The technique worked for some, and did not work for others. If the root cause is a gut pathogen, then it might work. If the root cause is anything else, then this will not work. This is an extract of a recent Reddit post addressed purely at constipation:
Basically, you really need to know the root cause before you can treat the problem [of constipation]. You need a diagnosis first, then you can treat it effectively.

- If the root cause is a gut pathogen. I had extreme constipation and gut dysbiosis. Suffered for 8 years. I eventually fixed myself. See: viewtopic.php?p=58638#p58638. The method is, in an nutshell: find the root cause with stool DNA test. Search for "comp stool analysis with PCR", e.g. Regenerous, Genova, Biron, etc. It will list any pathogens in the gut based on their DNA signature. Its kind of like 23andme but for whatever is living in the stool. If a pathogen is identified, trawl the literature and find out the right method to eliminate it. Papaya seeds worked for me as they are a potent antimicrobial.
- If the root case is lack of digestive enzymes, then fixing lack of protein might help. Aim for RDA of protein per day which is 0.75g per kilogram (56g/day for a 75kg man, 45g/day for a 60kg woman). Sufficient protein is required to synthesize digestive enzymes. I have steak every few days to hit the RDA if I'm short. Everybody says "eat more fibre", but they mostly miss the protein dimension. If you want fibre, eat an apple with the skin on.
- If the root cause is damage to the gut lining caused by gluten, you can also try cutting out gluten and perhaps non-fermented (raw) dairy. There are tests from Regenerous, Genova, etc that can identify this as the root case.
- If the root cause is an autoimmune disease, check out Low Dose Naltrexone, see www.ldnresearchtrust.com. There are some beautiful case studies of LDN fixing a range of gut-related issues such as IBS, constipation, etc. There are tests gut-based autoimmune diseases for that from Regenerous, Genova, etc.
- If the root cause is unknown, and you want instant relief, then can try this. I had an enema with a small, very judicious amount of peppermint oil. This is mildly antimicrobial, virucidal and antifungal, and has been shown to help with IBS. A while ago I had extreme constipation after a bout of severe ill health related to burns which meant I only slept for 2 hours a night for months. I was passing a small amount of rock-like stools every 5 days. I was literally fading away, losing weight every day. I paid for an enema, the practitioner added peppermint to quote "get things moving". After that, I had Garden of Life probiotics, Kimchi and Sauerkraut to repopulate the gut with good flora. Could have also taken Kefir but I didn't have any. A couple of days later my stools were moving properly with the correct consistency and color. Its almost like magic!
References

[1] Med: Effectiveness of dried Carica papaya seeds against human intestinal parasitosis: a pilot study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17472487
Abstract

The tropical fruit Carica papaya and its seeds have proven antihelminthic and anti-amoebic activities. To determine the effectiveness of air-dried C. papaya seeds on human intestinal parasitosis, 60 asymptomatic Nigerian children with stool microscopic evidence of intestinal parasites received immediate doses (20 mL) of either an elixir composed with air-dried C. papaya seeds and honey (CPH) or honey alone (placebo) in two randomized treatment groups. Repeat stool microscopic examinations were conducted 7 days postintervention for intestinal parasites. Significantly more subjects given CPH elixir than those given honey had their stools cleared of parasites [23 of 30 (76.7%) vs. five of 30 (16.7%); z = 4.40, P = .0000109]. There were no harmful effects. The stool clearance rate for the various types of parasites encountered was between 71.4% and 100% following CPH elixir treatment compared with 0-15.4% with honey. Thus, air-dried C. papaya seeds are efficacious in treating human intestinal parasites and without significant side effects. Their consumption offers a cheap, natural, harmless, readily available monotherapy and preventive strategy against intestinal parasitosis, especially in tropical communities. Further and large-scale intervention studies to compare C. papaya with standard antiparasitic preparation are desirous.
[2] https://superfoodprofiles.com/papaya-seeds-parasites
Last edited by Gravitas on Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:06 am, edited 19 times in total.
Shine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shine »

Gravitas wrote:I had Blastocystitis Hominis for 10 years.

And I cured it myself

[url]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

[2] https://superfoodprofiles.com/papaya-seeds-parasites

Wow! Thanks so much for posting! I am definitely going to give it a try. I discovered my parasites via the same tests.

A few questions if I may:

1. Did u always have the seeds by themselves or did you put them in a smoothie or something similar?

2. Did you do another PCR test to make sure they were gone or was it just that you were asymptotic ?

3. Can you take other supplements like vitamin D, zinc etc while having the seeds?

4. Do you know if they can harm your gut while clearing the parasites?

5. Did you take oregano oil as well like suggested in the blog you posted?

6. Out of interest did you find any improvement in cognitive function once you removed the parasites?

Thanks so much again!
Gravitas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gravitas »

Sharon wrote:
Gravitas wrote:I had Blastocystis Hominis for 10 years.

And I cured myself.
Wow! Thanks so much for posting! I am definitely going to give it a try. I discovered my parasites via the same tests.

A few questions if I may:

1. Did u always have the seeds by themselves or did you put them in a smoothie or something similar?

2. Did you do another PCR test to make sure they were gone or was it just that you were asymptotic ?

3. Can you take other supplements like vitamin D, zinc etc while having the seeds?

4. Do you know if they can harm your gut while clearing the parasites?

5. Did you take oregano oil as well like suggested in the blog you posted?

6. Out of interest did you find any improvement in cognitive function once you removed the parasites?

Thanks so much again!
1. Initially, I actually chewed them up. I don't recommend this - it was hard on my teeth. Grind them up in a mortar and pestle. I just had a tablespoon of them raw, between meals, with water to wash it down. I didn't put them in a smoothie, as that would imply adding things that might feed it, e.g. sugars. However, I guess if you want to put them in a smoothie to make it more palatable, I don't see why not. They are rather bitter.
2. No PCR test. I've edited my answer above to make this clear. If anyone else tries this, it would be interesting to do the PCR test every 2 weeks to see how long it takes to clear it out. This would be expensive, however.
3. No supplements.
4. From what I've read, Papaya seeds are safe. I certainly recovered well.
5. I didn't take oregano oil, but I don't think it would hurt. Oregano is also a potent anti-microbial. If you ever get a touch of food poisoning, knock back two drops of oregano oil in a small glass of water, and it will stop food poisoning in its tracks.
6. I didn't really do it for cognitive function. Didn't notice much difference afterwards, other than it's easy to concentrate on something if your gut is not sore.

Having said this, I wouldn't get too worried about gut parasites. Globally, one billion people have some form of the Blastocystis parasite [1] [4] [5]. We evolved to deal with parasites, they are a normal part of life. In fact, one cure for gut inflammation is to infect oneself with hookworm [3]. I clearly had a pretty bad run, but I kind of suspect that I picked up something even nastier in Brazil that was flagged up as "Unknown" in the PCR sample, and the Papaya got rid of that. I did seem to have some pretty bad symptoms compared to what would normally be expected from Blastocystis Hominis. I guess I'll never know.

I think most doctors would have given me a diagnosis of "Have no idea what's wrong - our name for that is IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)." [2] [4].

In summary, I think Papaya seeds are a safe way to deal with gut parasites [7], and certainly a safer bet than antibiotics which have a very nasty list of side effects. To increase the chance of success, combine it with a diet that does not feed the parasites, i.e. low in sugar, a low glycaemic diet. Its now 5 years since I got clean (after 9 years of suffering), and my guts have been fine since then. I never felt the need to repeat the 1-month Papaya seed cleanse. If this ever happens to me again, I know what to do :)

Disclaimer: apparently, it is difficult to get rid of Blastocystis [4]. Your milage may vary. However, just one week on Papaya seeds was sufficient to clear Blastocystis in the original study that I based my protocol on [6]. I did 4 weeks, just to be sure. If a 4 week cleanse fails, just up the ante and extend it to 6 weeks. It would be interesting to do a PCR test every 2 weeks and see how long it takes to clear out. As Papaya seeds are safe to take [7], I have little doubt that if you continue the protocol long enough, you will eventually win and any gut hitchhikers will eventually lose.

If you want to ask me any more questions, email me at shane dot tolmie at gmail.com. Always happy to help.

* References

[1] Prevalence and Clinical Features of Blastocystis hominis Infection among Patients in Sebha, Libya https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3086416/
[2] [Blastocystis hominis and bowel diseases]. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17106862
[3] Suppression of inflammation and tissue damage by a hookworm recombinant protein in experimental colitis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5671989/
[4] http://www.blastocystis.net/
[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blastocystis
[6] Med: Effectiveness of dried Carica papaya seeds against human intestinal parasitosis: a pilot study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17472487
[7] https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingre ... 488/papaya
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Gravitas wrote:I had Blastocystis Hominis for 9 years.

And I cured myself.
Thank you for posting this Gravitas. I tested positive for blastocystis hominis last year when searching for clues for an explanation for a major histamine reaction (hives that I still have). Parasites were NOT on any of the provider's radars but I insisted that we consider them since I'd been in the Caribbean the past 2 years. Turned out that parasite medication was the only thing that gave me some temporary relief. I went to an Environmental doctor a month ago who decided that the Blastocystis hominis needed to be addressed so put me on Metronidazole and histamine drops. Yes, the medication helped a little but didn't last. Your response caught my eye so I thought that I'd try it. I'm on week 2 of taking 1 tablespoon a day and am seeing a significant reduction in my symptoms. If this is the answer, it makes total sense to me that a Mexican Papaya is the answer to a bug that I may have picked up in Mexico. I see the Evo doc tomorrow for a follow up and am looking forward to sharing this with him. Again, thank you for sharing your experience and giving me hope!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Gravitas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gravitas »

CarrieS wrote: Again, thank you for sharing your experience and giving me hope!
I am thrilled to hear that you have had some success so far. I would be very curious to know if your Blastocystis test comes back negative after the treatment. By the way, looking back over my notes, I was actually on papaya seeds for 6 weeks (not 4). Updated my answer above.

What test did you use - was it a PCR test that analyses stool DNA? Please keep me in the loop!
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Gravitas wrote:What test did you use - was it a PCR test that analyses stool DNA? Please keep me in the loop!
I did the Genova GI Effects with 3 day parasite collection Dec 6, 2017. The very first result listed was for Bh but my provider at that time was focused on gluten and didn't even look at the test results. I looked in to Bh on my own but by then a dermatologist was thinking I had a skin mite of some sort (like scabies) and Ivermectin was showing positive results so I moved on thinking it was an external bug. Over a few months, Ivermectin stopped working (i needed to take it every 2 weeks) so Permethrin cream was given to me. It also showed some positive results but didn't cure me. Neem oil seemed to help a little but the rash & itching picked up again in August and nothing was working so I got to thinking it had something to do with the time of year (since it started Aug 2017). When I went to the Environmental doctor, I asked him to look at that Genova results to see if anything about it was of concern and he picked up on the Bh immediately and possible mast cell activation. Funny thing is that I did some searching today and found "Cutaneous Lesions in Blastocystis hominis infection" from Dec 16, 2003 that confirmed that the bug could present as uticaria with out intestinal symptoms. I've printed it out for my appointment tomorrow. The article listed using various parasite drugs not the papaya seeds.

This past month is the first time in over a year that my symptoms are reducing without medication instead of ramping up. The first week on the seeds I took them for 4 days and the off for 2. I started to notice a change so went to the store and got another papaya and symptoms started reducing again. Once my skin stays clear and the itching stops for period of time I want to repeat the Genova test so plan on discussing that with the doc tomorrow.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
PotatoCake42
New User
New User

Post by PotatoCake42 »

Registered on this site just so I could join in the conversation of Blastocystis and Papaya seeds.

A little background first - I've have chronic brain for for about 2-3 years~ and I was diagnosed with Blastocystis about 1 or 1.5years ago, (although I can only assume I had the little shitters a lot longer). I have no other symptoms related to Blastocystis, my GI is pretty good and stools are healthy - the only thing I can't shake is this brain fog which I have no choice but to conclude its associated with Blastocystis, considering everything else in my tests has come out good (like my thyroid, adrenal, cortisol, etc).

So recently I've been doubling down - taking oregano oil, cloves, dermatitis earth, garlic, and now, papaya seeds.
I'll end up taking another stool test down the line, so I'll update if it works for me.

One thing I will add as well for anyone taking the seeds, a few people have expressed that you should take the seeds whole as the little membrane around the seeds helps its journey to the gut. I want to hear if anyone else has thoughts on whether or not you should grind up the seeds or not. In my eyes, grinding up the seeds seems like the most logical option as it exposes more of the seed, and more importantly the inside of the seed where it's much more potent, (just bite through a papaya seed and you'll see what I'm talking about).
Chameleon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Chameleon »

Hi PotatoCake42,

I am glad you have now officially registered and joined the APOE4 community. Welcome!

I have to say that don't know anything about blastocystis so I will leave for someone with more expertise. But I will say that if you don't know what is causing your brain fog perhaps you may want to check into possible mold exposure (unless you have already checked for that).

And if you haven't already done so I would also recommend exploring the Primer because it contains a ton of information. And I just want to point out you can search the site using the magnifying glass at the top right of the page.

Many members also tell their story in the Our Stories forum so please feel free to share more of your background with us.

I hope you find out what is causing your brain fog and are able to eradicate the blastocystis!