Young E4/E4 - are there any research studies I can participate in?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Aes0522
New User
New User

Re: Young E4/E4 - are there any research studies I can participate in?

Post by Aes0522 »

Thank you so very much. I couldn’t have asked for a better response from both NF52 and Magda. I can’t quit crying because it is what I needed to hear. I will keep researching and do my best to do what I need to do to help the path of my destiny. I appreciate you taking time to reach out to me. I don’t have much support at home.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Aes0522 wrote:Thank you so very much. I couldn’t have asked for a better response from both NF52 and Magda. I can’t quit crying because it is what I needed to hear. I will keep researching and do my best to do what I need to do to help the path of my destiny. I appreciate you taking time to reach out to me. I don’t have much support at home.
Hello again AES0522,

I'm so glad our comments were helpful. And so is crying! You've already been helping yourself even without more research!
Research has found that in addition to being self-soothing, shedding emotional tears releases oxytocin and endorphins. When humans cry in response to stress, their tears contain a number of stress hormones and other chemicals. Researchers believe that crying could reduce the levels of these chemicals in the body, which could, in turn, reduce stress.These chemicals make people feel good and may also ease both physical and emotional pain. In this way, crying can help reduce pain and promote a sense of well-being.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319631.php

Here's a quick tip to help you navigate and research this sometimes confusing site: Check out our "How-To" section of our WIKI. It has lots of easy tips for using quotes so that users are notified of your replies, narrowing "Search" topics to get what you need, using Private Messages to communicate with users, and "subscribing" to forums that you want to get notifications about. It's tips for all the things that those of us who use the forum a lot found really confusing!

And here is advice from people I admire. They suggest that we can think of life as a quilt of sometimes unexpected colors and fabrics that we create for ourselves -not a destiny that is out of our control:

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...Do the thing you think you cannot do. --Eleanor Roosevelt
Go confidently in the directions of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. --Henry David Thoreau
Never, never, never give up. --Winston Churchill
4/4 and still an optimist!
fxmedcoach
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fxmedcoach »

Aes0522 Welcome to the ApoE4 community. You will find a wealth of information and a wonderful support group here. It can be quite overwhelming to learn that you are 4/4. Take a deep breath, and now that your genes are not a diagnosis. Knowing you are 4/4 doesn't mean you have Alzheimer's or will develop Alzheimer's. Knowing you are 4/4 provides you with a red flag to know your risks are higher than some others, and maybe even a "push" to fight back against those odds.

Ensuring you have a good clean environment is key to reducing the risks. There is so much that you can do now at your young age to ensure your environment is a healthy one. This will not only improve your health & risks, but also that of your daughters and generations to come. As Nf52 recommended, check out the primer -- https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418. It's a great breakdown of what you can do to get started and it's in layman's terms as well.

Also don't feel like you have to do it all at once. Babysteps!! Choose one area to get started with and within that area start making changes. If you feel stuck or have questions come back to the community and search the forum, I am sure someone has had the same question before. And if not, please post your question so we can answer it because there will be more who benefit from your question.
Deborrah Cisneros
RN, FMCHC, NBC-HC, CGP