Glad to be here

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
gigiuno
New User
New User

Glad to be here

Post by gigiuno »

New to the group and glad to be here.

I have one copy of APOE4. My mother has Alzheimers and is currently at a board and care facility. After finding out her diagnosis post my dad's death a year ago and seeing how much worse she was than we thought, I will do everything in my power to avoid this disease and the toll it takes on our families and society. I have to take responsibility and do everything possible.

Dr. Dale Bredesen's book was hugely empowering for me, and I've been my own N=1 experiment for a year with my doctor's help and encouragement. So far, very encouraging results from diet, exercise and other small but powerful lifestyle changes.

Looking forward to the discussions here, access to research, lots of learning and volunteering my time, if it helps.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Glad to be here

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi gigiuno and welcome to the group!

I'm so very sorry to hear about your Mom and the loss of your Dad. My own opinion - it's probably just human nature for parents not to want to burden their children with the knowledge of their Alzheimer's diagnosis, and perhaps even to hold onto hope that the doctors may be wrong. I want you to know you've come to the right place, because not only do many here understand all too well what you've been going through, we also share your determination to do everything we can to delay/prevent this disease!

I'm glad you've read Dr. Bredesen's outstanding book and that you're working with a doctor who's supporting your approach. Finding the right doc has been a hurdle for a number of our members, so it's one less obstacle for you to deal with. You may have already browsed through out site Primer, but if not, please give it a look as it truly is a wonderful resource for all of us. Our Wiki offers in-depth discussions on topics of interest to the group and our Wiki How-To-Guide may help you navigate the site more easily/efficiently.

gigiuno, please feel free to share more about yourself and your health journey if/when comfortable doing so. If you've had a chance to wander through the forums you already know how much we learn from one another. We have a great community here and find strength in the support of our fellow members.

Great to have you here with us...all the best, Lucy
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Glad to be here

Post by srbogert »

Welcome to the group gigiuno,
Many on the site share your experience with family members. My wife began managing her mother's care when her father passed away several years ago. Similar to your experience, her mom's actual condition was significantly more serious than they had let on. Her parents were of the "depression era" generation, and took pride in not asking for help. They worked hard to keep this issue to themselves.

As you know from reading Bredeson, the best time to start taking care of yourself is long before the symptoms appear. Its great that you are already on that pathway and have a Dr who can help you.

Please join into the discussions and share your questions, knowledge and encouragement. I'd like to echo Lucy's recommendation to review the Primer, and the How-to Guide. They will give you a good start here. When you are ready, we invite you to share more about yourself in the Our Stories section.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach